| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1508 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:28 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Opium des Volkes wrote:
P.S. Is there a thread floating around here somewhere, like a "Things I Love About Myself" thread? Because I think that would be pretty awesome.

I don't think there's one exactly like that, although someone did make a "things I'm good at" thread a while back. You should start one though!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Opium des Volkes wrote:
P.S. Is there a thread floating around here somewhere, like a "Things I Love About Myself" thread? Because I think that would be pretty awesome.

The body positivity thread was a bit like that: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6976&

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:36 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

This just showed up on my facebook feed. It sure is awesome that only women who look a certain way are attractive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 pm 
And you never will.

Oh god, that showed up in my facebook feed a few weeks ago and it made me absolutely *livid*. I went off in the comments and got attacked by a bunch of people who couldn't understand why I was so upset because I'm quite heavy (so I should be flattered???). I lost a few 'friends' that day (they de-friended me).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:49 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

poopiebitch wrote:
Oh god, that showed up in my facebook feed a few weeks ago and it made me absolutely *livid*. I went off in the comments and got attacked by a bunch of people who couldn't understand why I was so upset because I'm quite heavy (so I should be flattered???). I lost a few 'friends' that day (they de-friended me).

Yeah, aside from reverse body-shaming, that image also reeks of the idea that big women, fat women, chubby women, should be FLATTERED that people find them attractive. Like, "Oh, no worries! See? I'd totally do you! You should feel happy because of this."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:26 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Totally.

I would say, though, that this is straight up body shaming; I don't see a need to give it a different name than when the shame is placed on a larger woman. It's all the same bullshiitake oppression of women that we need to smash! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:39 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

You are right, JoPa. Totes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

You guys might be interested in "The Marilyn Meme":
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... ilyn-meme/

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My sister had that on her facebook a while back. I wanted to ask why both bodies weren't okay, but I didn't think it was worth the fight that would ensue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

jordanpattern wrote:
Totally.

I would say, though, that this is straight up body shaming; I don't see a need to give it a different name than when the shame is placed on a larger woman. It's all the same bullshiitake oppression of women that we need to smash! :)

I don't think that is the worst part of that image. I find the use of "this" most offensive. This is a two-fer: body shaming and total depersonalization/objectification in one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:10 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I really hate the Marilyn memes, the "real women have curves" the "has a body of a 12 year old boy", business. One, it's mean and body-shaming. Two, it suggests that the only thing women should care about is whether or not people (okay, men) want to have sex with them. See, curvy women, your body's okay because men want to have sex with you! If they didn't, then it wouldn't be. Blaaargh!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:25 am 
Impressive boner

This is indesribably offensive:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

I've written a complaint to the BBC about how triggering it is and how horrible the sweeping statements of 'You have more body fat than XX% of people of your gender in the world' are. Apparently my high proportion of muscle doesn't count because I'm in the top 6% of fattest people in the world and if everyone was as fat as me there'd be a bajillion more tonnes of fat on the planet.

>RAGE<

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

8ball wrote:

I've written a complaint to the BBC about how triggering it is and how horrible the sweeping statements of 'You have more body fat than XX% of people of your gender in the world' are. Apparently my high proportion of muscle doesn't count because I'm in the top 6% of fattest people in the world and if everyone was as fat as me there'd be a bajillion more tonnes of fat on the planet.

>RAGE<

I really don't trust their data. I am the average dress size for France, I highly doubt that's compatible with being in the 92nd percentile for fat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 am 
Inflexitarian

If they're talking about all the people around the world, wouldn't that include a lot of malnourished people?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah...I was told I'm most like someone from Chad? What a strange thing. What are they trying to accomplish?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I saw that this morning and had a panic attack when I entered my info. Comparing in that manner is not safe for anyone, no matter what your body type.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 am 
Flounceiad 2011

quark wrote:
If they're talking about all the people around the world, wouldn't that include a lot of malnourished people?
Invictus wrote:
Yeah...I was told I'm most like someone from Chad? What a strange thing. What are they trying to accomplish?
Dumbest thing ever. (And apparently, I am most like someone from Eritrea; I'm not sure how this is meant to make me feel.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:44 am 
Inflexitarian

Apparently I'm most like someone from Belarus?

I'm told I'm above 51% of other 15-29 males in Canada. I feel so mediocre.

editted to add: holy shiitake, I didn't notice the "Did you know?
If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 24,785,165 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population". Well, isn't that delightful...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:22 am 
Dead by dawn

If everyone was like me, there'd be less fat in the world. But the Olympics would be hella boring because the sprinters would be all soft and squishy and would run at roughly the same pace as the marathoners, who would have to stop at the half-way point. The gymnasts would be screwed, what with my width of hip and utter lack of upper body strength...

8ball wrote:
...if everyone was as fat as me there'd be a bajillion more tonnes of fat on the planet.

If everyone could write and perform music like you, there'd be a bajillion more songs on the planet. Seriously, we're all a damn sight more interesting than our weight.

Also, I now imagine Chad to be populated with a disproportionately high number of badass lady pilots.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

8ball wrote:

>RAGE<

Oh my gosh yes! This made me so forking angry this morning. The tone is utterly sanctimonious and judgemental and the data seems completely screwed up and the results are worded in a really difficult to understand fashion. Such an irresponsible, pointless and ill-thought out feature.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jordanpattern wrote:

o/t, but does anyone know who the woman on the right is?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:54 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

o/t, but does anyone know who the woman on the right is?

I believe it's Kate Bosworth.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:41 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

monkeytoes wrote:
Seriously, we're all a damn sight more interesting than our weight.

fork yeah.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When I was checking my email, I saw this story:
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/sk ... ities.html

Some blogger, who runs a website/forum for "skinny people", thinks Kate Upton, the supermodel who has been praised as having a "more natural/curvy (although she is definitely still a thin person), is too fat, and that her body shouldn't be celebrated.

I took a peek at the website she runs (curiosity is the worst), and it is the worst kind of body shaming I have ever come across.
For example:
http://www.skinnygossip.com/fat-pride-b ... ment-16010
"A magazine for “plus size” women (aka. fat girls) Plus Model Magazine, featured an editorial in this month’s issue that made me both angry and sick to my stomach. While you fat lovers out there (we know you come here too!) are going to have lots to say defending this, most of you skinny gurls need to be prepared for what you’re about to see.
I’m not sure what is more disgusting – the pictures or the statistics they are using to make their point – some of which are incorrect.
The editorial throws around lots of statistics trying to make the point that models are too skinny and no longer portray the “average” woman. Well – sorry to burst your bubble – but:

Fashion models aren’t supposed to portray the average woman – they’re supposed to be aspirational.
The “average woman” nowadays is a fatass!"

Uggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:06 pm 
Impressive boner

sisterlegume wrote:
I took a peek at the website she runs (curiosity is the worst), and it is the worst kind of body shaming I have ever come across.

I'm feeling quite angry after looking at her site. I can't get where the downright nastiness comes from.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1508 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 61  Next