| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Colbert/Stewart Rally
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:21 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
Adah wrote:
I have mixed feeling about this rally. Because it's political but has no clear message. Am I the only one? My facebook newsfeed is full of positive status updates about it.

hmm, "political but has no real message" what does that remind you of?

I don't know what you're getting at. Is this a little potshot at me?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

This may not be the first post to make but this event has been bothering me.
I don't have any issue with Stewart/Colbert I think they are great at what they do. My concerns stem from the implications this event may have for future movements. The United States is still a nation with numerous and very present problems. It's discouraging to see that at this point in time people are moved to attend an event that gives off a message of ambiguity and self-congratulating pats on the back under the guise of a political rally.

I typically don't care for Vice Magazine and often see them as kindred spirits in providing ironic jabs similar to many of the signs I've seen form this rally but they ran lengthy article today that sort of echos how I have been feeling. It's worth reading over even if it is "the pot calling the kettle black".

http://www.viceland.com/blogs/en/2010/1 ... re-vanity/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

bruteface wrote:
I don't have any issue with Stewart/Colbert I think they are great at what they do. My concerns stem from the implications this event may have for future movements. The United States is still a nation with numerous and very present problems. It's discouraging to see that at this point in time people are moved to attend an event that gives off a message of ambiguity and self-congratulating pats on the back under the guise of a political rally.

That's what I've been trying to say.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

rocklobster wrote:
awesome site tinL. Number 40 is my favorite: I want more tortillas when I order fajitas at a restaurant!!!

Thanks. I know! I was that close to posting that one, but I couldn't resist the sleepy puppy.

Okay. I watched clips of it this morning. It looked like a fun meetup and not necessarily a life-changing event. Everything was summed up succinctly in that final speech. It's misguided to believe there's nothing wrong in this country or nothing to fear, but that shouldn't trigger hysteria; being reasonable ≠ being ambivalent. Was it self-congratulatory? What gathering, from church services to fan sites to political debate, doesn't have at least a hint of that? Only time will tell what, if any, influence this will have on future events.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Adah wrote:
GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
Adah wrote:
I have mixed feeling about this rally. Because it's political but has no clear message. Am I the only one? My facebook newsfeed is full of positive status updates about it.

hmm, "political but has no real message" what does that remind you of?

I don't know what you're getting at. Is this a little potshot at me?

No, I'm talking about the tea party.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:46 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Adah wrote:
bruteface wrote:

That's what I've been trying to say.

I had a conversation with a co-worker where she talked up the rally as being the bees knees and implioed that I was being crazy in thinking it was otherwise. I then proceeded to make an account here to make this post hours later after I got off work. I didn't read the rest of the thread before posting, but yes I did echo a lot of what you said.