| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:28 am 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 998
Location: Oaktizzle
CA. prop.23 went down right? that's a good thing, plus 25 passing. I know budget things seem banal compared to mad spleefs, but the legislature being able to pass a budget with a simple majority in CA is kind of a big deal.

_________________
Goddamn that Rick Santorum has a pretty mouth. -sameness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:30 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:02 pm
Posts: 1848
Location: Spokane, WA
LA Times wrote:
L.A. County Sheriff, Lee Baca, had already publicly stated that even if the proposition passed, he would tell his officers to disregard the voters’ decision, saying, "Proposition 19 is not going to pass, even if it passes."


Nice.

_________________
"All PPK gamers should put on their badge of shame right now. You will never leave the no-sex thread." - Vantine
"I'm so glad my prison of principles has wifi." - Abelskiver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:34 am 
Online
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7398
Location: Portland
hoveringdog wrote:
LA Times wrote:
L.A. County Sheriff, Lee Baca, had already publicly stated that even if the proposition passed, he would tell his officers to disregard the voters’ decision, saying, "Proposition 19 is not going to pass, even if it passes."


Nice.


And that's precisely what many if not most sheriffs, law enforcement officers, and even DAs do now with medical marijuana. Prop 19 wouldn't really change anything, because the law surrounding cannabis in California would still be a complete caramel cluster, and cops and prosecutors would still be motivated to continue to prosecute for marijuana-related acts, whether they're technically offenses or not.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 401
Location: iowa
I'm really frustrated with how things went in Iowa. Specifically, it looks like the supreme court justices aren't going to be retained, and the campaign against them was mostly because of the gay marriage decision. And Branstad was elected governor.

I'm considering breaking up with the guy I recently started dating because he didn't vote. Is this irrational?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:51 am 
Offline
Huffs Nooch

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:34 pm
Posts: 122
Location: Mountain View, CA
Image

I'm preparing to see a whole lot of inaction and gridlock for the next two years.
But thank the lawd for Christine O'Donnell and Sharon Angle. Without them Democrats would have lost the Senate too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 504
as a foreigner i was about to ask what this means for the country but i guess the above post summed it up...

If anyone can fill me in on more detail/point me to resources i wouldnt mind making myself depressed at work tomorrow. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:11 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 227
Location: lawrence, ks
guy burgess wrote:
as a foreigner i was about to ask what this means for the country but i guess the above post summed it up...

If anyone can fill me in on more detail/point me to resources i wouldnt mind making myself depressed at work tomorrow. Thanks.


Republicans (our conservative party) now have the majority in our House of Representatives. Our other branch of Congress, the Senate, is still controlled by democrats, which means that Congress is divided. It's basically going to cause the passing of legislature to grind to a screeching halt for the next two years, because nobody will be able to agree on anything.

On the bright side, Missouri passed Proposition B, which imposes laws restricting breeding and cracking down on puppy mills and facilities that breed dogs for laboratory research. Despite all the crepe that went down last night, I can smile today.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:48 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9518
Location: Seattle
fresh_paint wrote:
guy burgess wrote:
as a foreigner i was about to ask what this means for the country but i guess the above post summed it up...

If anyone can fill me in on more detail/point me to resources i wouldnt mind making myself depressed at work tomorrow. Thanks.


Republicans (our conservative party) now have the majority in our House of Representatives. Our other branch of Congress, the Senate, is still controlled by democrats, which means that Congress is divided. It's basically going to cause the passing of legislature to grind to a screeching halt for the next two years, because nobody will be able to agree on anything.


And this is on top of the fact that the Republicans have spent the last two years dragging their feet on all kinds of legislation and preventing things from being voted on. I don't know how things could get worse, but the Republicans will try.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:57 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 am
Posts: 755
Location: Emerald City, Oz
Ah, you guys. So sorry. Hugs across the Pacific!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 am 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7113
Location: bindlestiff
GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
in 10 years after a republican has served for 8 democrats will sweep again everyone will suddenly love people again.

No I won't. You may think we're oversimplifying but so are you.
I haven't paid much attention to this years elections which is dumb of me. But the fact that all we're doing is voting for whoever is out of power in the mad hope that it will solve the economy and everything else is a pretty sad state of affairs for the public. And we're bringing it on ourselves. Until this country has a serious political shift nothing is going to continue to happen except a bunch of arguing and foolish policies aimed at polarizing the party bases. I think the best we can hope for is gridlock, frankly. People just want to hear stupid sound bites. I never heard a damn thing this year about anything that has actually been accomplished in the last 2 years and I know shiitake has gotten done, even if I didn't agree with it. All I heard was 'change is needed'. bullshiitake.
My worry is that the republicans are awfully good at sticking together come hell or high water to keep policies they don't like from happening. The democrats will roll over faster than a june bug on a log in Louisiana in the summer and give up gay rights and women's rights and all other rights to the people who are their constant supporters and cry moderation and then I will just cry.
It is early and I am depressed.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 am 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7113
Location: bindlestiff
Imitation Of Chris wrote:
CA. prop.23 went down right? that's a good thing, plus 25 passing. I know budget things seem banal compared to mad spleefs, but the legislature being able to pass a budget with a simple majority in CA is kind of a big deal.

Stuff like this! I heard so much about the damn marijuana law and nothing about the banal budget law, but that must be a huge thing for CA. The NY legislature was terrible at getting a budget done but somehow that is passed off as ok. What the fork are we electing these people for? If anyone else performed a job so goddamn poorly they would be fired.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 579
It will be a woman and we'll all talk about the strides we've made as a country, the now "post-gendered society".

I think the onion perfectly explained the key Democratic tactic this midterm election:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/democr ... ing,18333/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9518
Location: Seattle
I'm mad about high unemployment, high taxes, and a high deficit! So I'm voting out the people who had already begun to lower them, and voting for the people who drove them up to begin with! Possibly because the president is black. Or maybe just because I'm an idiot.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:36 pm
Posts: 1126
I'm sorry, USians. :( *hugs*

_________________
"I will rip out your IV and other roman numerals." - pandacookie
"The one thing I would not do for Aubrey Plaza is harm a baby, by the way." - strawberryrock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:26 am 
Online
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7398
Location: Portland
Imitation Of Chris wrote:
CA. prop.23 went down right? that's a good thing, plus 25 passing. I know budget things seem banal compared to mad spleefs, but the legislature being able to pass a budget with a simple majority in CA is kind of a big deal.


Yeah, plus Prop G passed in SF, which means that Muni drivers will have to use collective bargaining like every other union to get pay raises instead of being automatically handed them, regardless of the transit agency's ability to afford them. I'm happy about that.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8474
Location: Maryland/DC area
I know I may receive some flack for this but I didn't vote. I don't really foresee myself voting anytime in the near future.

Interesting thing though is I checked this morning to see who our Governor was going to be. I heard on the radio that Erlich thought it would be a really close election. He also sent out fliers saying that the cause of Maryland's unemployment was O'Malley. Uhh, really?

Anyway, news clip I read this morning was:

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley trounced his Republican predecessor Tuesday, beating Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. by a wider margin than any state candidate had amassed in 20 years, on a night when many other Democrats were toppled in a nationwide wave of anti-incumbent frustration.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am 
Offline
Hearts James Cromwell

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:03 am
Posts: 49
I didn't vote either. Don't like any of the candidates or parties, Texas' absentee ballot doesn't allow write-ins, and I kinda don't care anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:41 am 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7113
Location: bindlestiff
FootFace wrote:
I'm mad about high unemployment, high taxes, and a high deficit! So I'm voting out the people who had already begun to lower them, and voting for the people who drove them up to begin with! Possibly because the president is black. Or maybe just because I'm an idiot.

I don't think it is because people are idiots. I think it is because Americans have the attention span of a 5 year old on speed and don't bother to research any options. If I did nothing but listen to campaign commercials I would know next to nothing about the real issues and would just vote based off heated rhetoric. If we want real change in America we need a large shift in education and lifestyle that people aren't willing to do. My family is republican and they aren't idiots. But they aren't doing any deep thinking about how these issues affect their larger community and the nation. Both parties now function so much at motivation by fear and it works and is a terrible way to live. The tea party is nothing but that.

It is no longer early but I am still depressed.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:21 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:06 pm
Posts: 472
Location: Vancouver Island
*Hugs from the cuddle embassy of Canukistan*

_________________
http://seraphsong.blogspot.com/
Guilty of Being Sprite - They're probably just waiting for the camera egg to hatch, which would then create a much larger camera they'd quickly find.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:49 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9518
Location: Seattle
pandacookie wrote:
FootFace wrote:
I'm mad about high unemployment, high taxes, and a high deficit! So I'm voting out the people who had already begun to lower them, and voting for the people who drove them up to begin with! Possibly because the president is black. Or maybe just because I'm an idiot.

I don't think it is because people are idiots. I think it is because Americans have the attention span of a 5 year old on speed and don't bother to research any options. If I did nothing but listen to campaign commercials I would know next to nothing about the real issues and would just vote based off heated rhetoric. If we want real change in America we need a large shift in education and lifestyle that people aren't willing to do. My family is republican and they aren't idiots. But they aren't doing any deep thinking about how these issues affect their larger community and the nation. Both parties now function so much at motivation by fear and it works and is a terrible way to live. The tea party is nothing but that.

It is no longer early but I am still depressed.


Let me send my comment through the nuancifier:

Your family are not idiots. Not all people who vote for Republicans are.

People who vote for Republicans are a) idiots, b) grossly ill-informed, c) greedy, or d) frightened.

Who but an idiot could believe that Barack Obama wants to destroy America and do away with the Constitution? Who but an idiot could believe that he is Muslim (or that that would render him unfit to serve as president)? Who but an idiot would believe that Obama wants to impose Sharia law (as a majority of Republicans believed when polled in August)? Who but an idiot would believe that Obama was not born in the US, and that birth announcements placed in Hawaii to that effect were part of a large conspiracy?

Who but an ill-informed voter could believe that Obama and Democrats tripled the deficit, when, in fact, they lowered it? Who but an ill-informed voter could believe that Obama "bailed out Wall Street," when, in fact, that was the Bush administration's handiwork? Who but an ill-informed voter could believe that Obama and the Dems were raising taxes, when Obama's plan provides lower taxes for 95% of Americans? Who but an ill-informed voter could believe that the US health insurance industry is efficient and fair?

Who but the greedy could support policies that harm US workers, while benefitting the corporate class? Who but the greedy could support so-called trickle-down policies that have been shown to benefit the very wealthy and no one else?

Who but the frightened could support Bush brainchildren like the Patriot Act (also supported, shamefully, by most Democrats)? Who but the frightened could turn to illegal/undocumented immigrants as scapegoats for a poor economy? Who but the frightened would support policies that deny equal rights to gays and lesbians, out of some bizarre fear that it would somehow harm their own marriages and their communities?

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:51 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Tucson, AZ
OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD you guys.
Jan Brewer is being re-elected as state governor. I'm so ready to get the fork out of this state. At least Jesse Kelly didn't get Gifford's seat.
Seriously, why????


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:02 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8474
Location: Maryland/DC area
FootFace wrote:
Your family are not idiots. Not all people who vote for Republicans are.

People who vote for Republicans are a) idiots, b) grossly ill-informed, c) greedy, or d) frightened.

Who but an idiot could believe that Barack Obama wants to destroy America and do away with the Constitution? Who but an idiot could believe that he is Muslim (or that that would render him unfit to serve as president)? Who but an idiot would believe that Obama wants to impose Sharia law (as a majority of Republicans believed when polled in August)? Who but an idiot would believe that Obama was not born in the US, and that birth announcements placed in Hawaii to that effect were part of a large conspiracy?

Who but an ill-informed voter could believe that Obama and Democrats tripled the deficit, when, in fact, they lowered it? Who but an ill-informed voter could believe that Obama "bailed out Wall Street," when, in fact, that was the Bush administration's handiwork? Who but an ill-informed voter could believe that Obama and the Dems were raising taxes, when Obama's plan provides lower taxes for 95% of Americans? Who but an ill-informed voter could believe that the US health insurance industry is efficient and fair?

Who but the greedy could support policies that harm US workers, while benefitting the corporate class? Who but the greedy could support so-called trickle-down policies that have been shown to benefit the very wealthy and no one else?

Who but the frightened could support Bush brainchildren like the Patriot Act (also supported, shamefully, by most Democrats)? Who but the frightened could turn to illegal/undocumented immigrants as scapegoats for a poor economy? Who but the frightened would support policies that deny equal rights to gays and lesbians, out of some bizarre fear that it would somehow harm their own marriages and their communities?


Are you saying all people who vote Republican fall under that category? Although things right now seem polarized, they didn't always seem that way. And although I think there were some really really bad Republican candidates out there, I don't know if saying they are all bad or worse than democratic candidates would be true in every case, especially on the local level.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:03 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Tucson, AZ
Although, on a happier note, Prop 109 was defeated. "No law shall be enacted and no rule should be adopted that unreasonably restricts hunting, fishing and the harvesting of wildlife or the use of traditional means and methods. [...] Lawful public hunting and fishing should be a preferred method of managing and controlling wildlife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:11 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9518
Location: Seattle
linanil wrote:
Are you saying all people who vote Republican fall under that category? Although things right now seem polarized, they didn't always seem that way. And although I think there were some really really bad Republican candidates out there, I don't know if saying they are all bad or worse than democratic candidates would be true in every case, especially on the local level.


I hope you'll allow a bit of exaggeration now and then.

And which Republicans were the good guys this time around?

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9518
Location: Seattle
Edited because I wasn't paying attention.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Last edited by FootFace on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: supercarrot and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer