| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One of my fave bloggers complains about SF's Happy Meal ban
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:05 pm 
Grandfathered In

Which makes me sad.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/unhappy-meal/

My comment ended with: "I don’t think too many former kids will tell their oncologists, “Thank god my parents fed me all that garbage!” (Which might have missed the point a little.)

Post subject: Re: One of my fave bloggers complains about SF's Happy Meal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

you'd think parents would be happy that kids are no longer screaming for a crappy meal just cuz it includes a toy. I'm not for too much government interfering either, but fork bribing kids to eat your crepe. Not everyone's mom was as strict as mine about eating properly. forks sake they can still make a ton of money without making a bunch of Augustus Gloops.

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:21 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I was watching the news yesterday (I was really bored) and they were talking about this and EVERY opinion was that it was somehow wrong. Even the lady who admitted that she gets her chicken nuggets cheaper at the store than at McDonalds, she actually said "Don't tell me how to parent my kids"
Because, yes, that is what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:22 pm 
Grandfathered In

And talking about how you don't want the government interfering, but who subsidizes this crepe food, anyway? The government. Government policies have a lot to do with making McDonald's so profitable.

And no one's saying you can't sell the garbage to kids. They're saying you can't sell it to them if you've enticed them with a toy.

I swear, otherwise intelligent and progressive people can go apeshit when you say anything that sounds anti-meat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Lamez. Its not about parenting; its about marketing. Same dealie with the whole candy cigarettes scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I guess I understand the outrage. How else will children learn entitlement if we don't show them how it's done before they even know enough to care?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:25 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

But, if you take the cheese off the burger to reduce the calories and fat you get rid of the calcium! Nutrition conundrum!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:52 am 
Chip Strong

People are SO MAD about this! People who seem pretty liberal and progressive otherwise. People on Jezebel were saying it was about "fat-shaming" which I don't think is apt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:13 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I get the complaints, but people need to realize that it's really more about holding corporations responsible for the shiitake they sell us than the government controlling what we eat.

and yeah, as footface said the government already controls what we eat! if they didn't subsidize corn and cow products soda and milk and beef would not be as cheap as they are and mcdonald's wouldn't be so cheap and less people would be buying it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Someone posted this on facebook and one of their other friends got all pissy, I pointed out that if people really care, they can keep toys in the car to give their kids when they go to the drive-thru.

God forbid we hold fast food companies to any kind of nutritional standards.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:40 am 
Keepin' It Seal

It annoys me that people don't realize it's about marketing. It's just their guilty consciences assuming a ban on happy meals means "we have to make sure those crappy parents can't keep feeding their kids crappy stuff" and they get all defensive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:43 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm not entirely sure how many folks in this discussion have or work with children, but the kids are brainwashed pretty well by the multinationals. They start out asking for the Happy Meal, and when you put a slightly more nutritious option in front of them (i.e. nuggets and fries from bags in the fridge) they will tell you, time and again, that it's all about the toy. They miss the toys. The toys are crepe, and yet there's this whole Pokemon "gotta collect them all" nonsense that they're trained into from birth.

Plus, if you put enough ketchup on anything (vegan or not), it all starts to taste the same anyway.

I do wish the government would say "Whoooaaa...let's stop subsidizing the bad/unhealthy foods and start subsidizing the stuff we want people to eat: whole grains, fruits and veggies." The meat-and-dairy lobbyists and special interest groups are giants, and sometimes tough to fight, so that's why we are where we are today. Fast food that is cheap and unhealthy, and economy of scale causes all other items to go up in price accordingly.

People are getting sicker, and healthcare/insurance is accordingly going up steadily in price due to increased demand and decreasing supply. I mean, what doctor wants to go to work with both the government (HIPPA) and the insurance companies adding a huge paperwork/compliance load on top of their regular case load - plus constantly negotiating lower rates. I'd imagine it sucks pretty heartily to be a healthcare provider in this decade.

You'd think the government would spend more time/money on prevention, and less on subsidizing cheap/unhealthy food. I say let the real price of the Big Mac shine through, so consumers can compare apples to apples...or rather, apples to Big Macs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:07 am 
rowdily playing checkers

The US has the most immature political culture in the democratic world. The argument against reasonable policy with regard to food invariably boils down to "don' wanna!"

I mean, maybe I like rat feces in my food. Did you ever think of that, nanny state? How about parents take some responsibility? I'm pretty sure that if I say this enough times, it will totally empower every parent in the country, no matter how poor or exhausted, to combat a billion dollar brain trust dedicated to selling garbage to their children.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:30 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Amarand wrote:
The toys are crepe, and yet there's this whole Pokemon "gotta collect them all" nonsense that they're trained into from birth.

My vintage Astrosniks collection is NOT crepe, thankyouverymuch!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

remember the birthday parties at mcdonalds? i went to tons of bday parties there growing up! looking back, thats really weird and forked up. i hope this ban sweeps the nation!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Seriously, if it's that big a deal parents can just buy the shitty food and then buy the toy separately. Turns out you can do that, I figured it out once when I was drunk and felt a pressing need to own a wind-up dinosaur toy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:00 am 
Just leaving...

I remember McDonald's explaining to me by letter that vegeburger plus chips and drink could never equal a Happy Meal. Only something involving death is "Happy".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

rocklobster wrote:
remember the birthday parties at mcdonalds? i went to tons of bday parties there growing up! looking back, thats really weird and forked up.

I went to a few of those when I was little. Makes me feel a little dirty to think of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:58 am 
Nailed to the V

I'll admit, I do pee at the Woodley Park McDonalds in DC.