| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any Atheists out there?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Humanist makes me cringey too, even though I probably would agree with most of the tenets. It seems like it's trying to be all, "We don't need religion, we have this!"

But I don't want a this; I just want no religion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:59 pm 
Grandfathered In

My atheist-type beliefs:
* There is no such thing as the supernatural.
* The universe is a natural, physical... um... universe-type place.
* Science is our only means of discovering and confirming facts about how the universe works.
* Humans arose by means of the same processes through which every other living thing arose: an unguided evolution by natural selection, with theoretical addenda as needed.
* I don't believe Richard Dawkins is rude.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:00 am 
ugh

FootFace wrote:

I don't believe you.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:37 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

In response to Vantine, I think some atheists are reactive against religious folks because they tend to get so much crepe from religious folks. As someone who grew up strictly atheist (kind of a rare experience, apparently), I have had friends a every stage in my life who believed I was going to hell. I have also had people trying to get me to go to church pretty much all my life. I had a lot of confusion and guilt and anxiety about having no religion when I was a kid, and I doubt I'm unique in that respect, because having religion is seen as the default setting in North America. I don't want to buy into and/or perpetuate that system, where everyone has to have a group or belief system or faith, even if it's not a technically religious one, so humanism doesn't do it for me, because I feel like it's just the non-religious option at the religion buffet (if that makes sense).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:41 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

FootFace wrote:
My atheist-type beliefs:
* Science is our only means of discovering and confirming facts about how the universe works.
* Humans arose by means of the same processes through which every other living thing arose: an unguided evolution by natural selection, with theoretical addenda as needed.

My belief is that I am fond of you, FF.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 am 
Grandfathered In

Back atcha, PP.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:39 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

FootFace wrote:
My atheist-type beliefs:

Oh, good, now I don't have to sit down and write what I believe. FootFace did it for me!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jordanpattern wrote:
There are a lot of us atheists who were raised that way!

Raised this way! I would glad discuss any of my beliefs, but I do have an apprehension towards organized religion. Hierarchy breeds abuse, plain and simple. Mistreatment of people isn't something I'm cool with. So faith, in and of itself, may be a beautiful thing for some people, but the fashion through which it's organized and conscripted for hatred doesn't jive with me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:30 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

My moms used to have a subscription to The Humanist, that's how athy my family was.

I guess we were pretty much the athiest?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:51 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

FootFace wrote:

What about whiny baby? No?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:03 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Crust wrote:
GreenDuck wrote:
Crust wrote:
Atheist here. Raised Catholic. My mom was a nun and my father is very religious.

Wait... your mother was a Catholic nun? How does that work?

Yes. She passed away when I was nine so I was never able to get all the answers. She started corresponding with soldiers during the Korean War and one of them ended up being my father. She bailed on the convent (obviously). I don't think she entered by choice. She became an English teacher at a middle school for many years. She did teach as a nun also. I was even an alter boy.

I had a friend from HS who's parents were a nun and a priest who met at some point and left the holy life. They still remained catholic, and my friend said if the catholic church suddenly let priests marry again after 1000 years, he'd go back to that.

I too am an ex catholic. I guess I'm technically a UU Pantheist, but really, that's basically an athiest, but I'm just trying to be a bit reverential to nature and the universe, because really it is in charge, but there ain't no brains making decisions.

ETA- Jigglypuff- Haha, I know, don't be an evangelist, but if you still want a church community without all the dogma, I like to evangelize about the UUs (heh). Sure, its not for everyone and the congregations are all different but I've definitely met some great people there.

Last edited by lycophyte on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:05 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

degausser wrote:
couroupita wrote:
Lately I've been waking up in the middle of the night struggling to breathe (sleep apnea?) and in my sleepy stupor it gets me to thinking about dying. I don't know how you other atheists deal with it, but it scares me to think that there's nothing after all this. Silver lining -- I appreciate and treasure my days more than I ever have in the past, even when something cruddy happens.

I was convinced I was experiencing sleep apnea. I'd wake up in the middle of the night choking on air and it was horrifying! I think it's more than a coincidence that when I quit having a diet carbonated beverage at night, the scary vanished. I'm prone to acid reflux, but I drink so much water now that it keeps it quelled. I dunno if you drink anything fizzy before bed or eat spicy food or anything, but it might be an acid/GERD type thing for you as well. Sleeping on your side will help, too.

Yeah...I was recently diagnosed with "silent reflux." It also causes me breathing probs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

IsaChandra wrote:
FootFace wrote:

What about whiny baby? No?

Look, I'm Team Dawkins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 pm 
ugh

Team Your Experience of Sexism Doesn't Matter Because Other Women Have It Worse

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:37 pm 
Grandfathered In

He was wrong on that one. I don't think that means he's done and we can discard him and write him off as a whiny baby.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:30 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I love him more than anyone, so don't even! But I can see his faults, and whiny baby is one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:32 pm 
post-coital oreo truffle

Meh, there could be some all-encompassing deity. I highly, highly doubt it, but there could be. I think that studying migrant patterns of birds, understanding the genetic code, crying after hearing our favorite song, and being in taste-bud bliss after eating falafel are all examples of things that will get us as close as we can hope to get to understanding the nature of whatever "god" actually might be.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:26 am 
rowdily playing checkers

quinntheskimo wrote:
Meh, there could be some all-encompassing deity.

Yeah, but you don't have to think there couldn't be a God to be an atheist.

You just have to think there isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:56 pm 
post-coital oreo truffle

just mumbles wrote:
Yeah, but you don't have to think there couldn't be a God to be an atheist.

I never argued that in order to be an atheist, one can't believe in the possibility of a god.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

quinntheskimo wrote:
I never argued that in order to be an atheist, one can't believe in the possibility of a god.

Ok.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bumping this to ask if anyone else is really put off by well-meaning "prayers" and "God Bless"es?

I've joined a kidney disease-specific support group on FB. I'm reading more than participating, partly because it's a large group and I'm an introvert, partly because I'm pretty lucky in terms of disease progression compared to many other people in the group whose lives are much more profoundly affected by it. But even if I were to start having problems/complications, I think I'd be hesitant to post asking for advice/commiserations because there seems to be a large subset of the group that meets every message about a medical setback with "I'm praying for you", or messages about advances (like finding a live donor) with "God bless" or "God provides!" type messages. I know that messages like these are well intentioned, and a polite person should just accept them as such, but man, I really think that it would seriously get my hackles up, especially if I'm in a lot of pain and feeling sick.

Is it just me, or does anyone else struggle with these kind of "well-wishes"? I'm lucky in the respect that most of the religious people I know in person don't tend to say stuff like that unless they know the recipient is appreciative of prayers. I think if it were just an individual here or there, I wouldn't be that bothered, but it seems to be really prevalent in this particular group.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lepelaar wrote:
Bumping this to ask if anyone else is really put off by well-meaning "prayers" and "God Bless"es?

Maybe I'm not the right person to answer this, as an ex atheist and current Pastafarian, but I find prayers to His Noodliness comforting even if they don't really do anything and good advice is more useful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tigon wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Maybe I'm not the right person to answer this, as an ex atheist and current Pastafarian, but I find prayers to His Noodliness comforting even if they don't really do anything and good advice is more useful.

I wish I did too, but they just make me hungry.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:15 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Lepelaar, I know where you're coming from. I'm in a FB group for women with premature ovarian failure, and there is a lot of "god bless you" and "I'm praying for you." A couple people post bible quotes and stuff as "inspiration" (though thankfully the moderators decided those posts were inappropriate for the group, and they take them down now). I do find it bothersome.

My theory is that this group takes me way, way outside all my normal circles and puts me in contact with people who would not normally be on my radar in any way. The disease cuts through social, religious, class, race, and geographical boundaries and brings a lot of different kinds of people together in that way. I imagine it's similar for your kidney disease group. I try to see it as interesting, but if I'm honest, 80% of the posts in the group drive me bonkers (lots of woo and essential oil peddling and also blaming every single thing on POF rather than just taking responsibility for feeling grumpy or having a bad day or just being a normal human being with ups and downs), but 20% is good stuff, so I stick around.

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful, but I feel you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:15 pm 
Grandfathered In

I'm not sure I've ever been told this personally ("I'm praying for you"), but, yes, it would bug me. Even though, as you say, there's only good intentions behind it.

It just seems so.. empty. Like "A donation has been made in your name." Thanks, but... Next time, don't bother.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next