| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never argue with an anarchist.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:18 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the mistake of doing this after one came up on Facebook randomly and totally rained on my Prop B victory parade. Despite the fact that we were arguing over whether or not animals should be considered property/equipment and whether or not they deserved basic natural rights, he just kept turning the discussion back to OMG TYRANNY! THE VIOLENCE OF THE STATE!

I have Opinions (with a capital O) about anarchism, but that's not what I was there to discuss. I've found that discussions with anarchists often end up this way. Not to lump you all into that category--I'm sure a lot of anarchists are perfectly logical people who can at least manage to stay on topic during a debate--but my experiences have not been pleasant.

Also, I used the classic Peter Singer line of logic about there being no ethically-significant difference between Homo sapiens and non-human animals, and pointed out that the only reason he had rights and animals didn't was that he was bigger and stronger and smarter and he said it should be that way. He couldn't understand how his viewpoint on vegans and his supposed aversion to tyranny were in conflict.

I forking hate hypocrisy.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Never argue with an anarchist.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:33 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I can't tell the difference between some anarchists and libertarians. It's weird when people are so far left that they're right. Social Darwinism gives me a headache.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:37 am 
Naked Under Apron

I will pass on the advice I received in another thread - use the hide feature in Facebook. Never see him again! Unless, of course, he comments on your stuff all the time. In that case - DELETE.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:56 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Not all anarchists are like that, some are even vegan! But yes, there's certain types that should just be ignored.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:04 pm 
Couldn't defeat the 8 master robots.

I totally read the title of this thread as "Never argue with an antichrist."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 pm 

IsaChandra wrote:
Not all anarchists are like that, some are even vegan! But yes, there's certain types that should just be ignored.

Oh, I know. And I tried to acknowledge that in my original post. It was just so infuriating, I had to rant.

I suspect he's not a for-realsies anarchist, anyway. He barely knew what he was talking about. I think he probably IS a libertarian who thinks he's an anarcho-capitalist.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:06 pm 
Grandfathered In

Don't argue with architects either.

Man!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I once knew a guy who wanted to apply to a "grad school" for anarchist theory. True story.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:27 pm 

Milwaukee has an inexplicably huge number of people who refer to themselves as anarchists. The first time I was accosted by one of them, I'd had the audacity to wear an "I Voted!" sticker at a house show on election day in, I think, 2002? Maybe 2004? Dude walked past me, stuck his finger in my chest to press on the sticker, and called me a fascist. A fascist! It went a little something like:
What? Fascist? Why? "Voting is a tool used to oppress the working class, OPPRESSOR!" What the fork are you talking about? "Whatever, you'll never understand. You're just another bourgeoisie sheep who's going to go to work like a good little cog in the machine until she dies." Oh, okay, so you want to overthrow me because I'm part of the ruling class who works 50 hours a week and pulls a whopping $21k a year. Where'd you get money to buy that case of Peeber you have in your cute little patched-up backpack, anyway? A job, right? "I don't work! I'll never work. Jobs are for uncreative, soulless fools. No one should have a job!" How do you pay rent? "I don't!" Where the fork can you live that you don't have to pay rent? "I mean, right now, I live with my parents, but--"
This is what a truly terrifying majority of the people I have encountered who call themselves anarchists are like. To be honest, I don't know what an actual anarchist even is, because everyone I've run into has been like this.

What I'm saying is: I feel your pain.
And don't argue with an antichrist, either! They've got some otherworldly type shiitake going on, and it probably wouldn't end well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

tinglepants! wrote:
I once knew a guy who wanted to apply to a "grad school" for anarchist theory. True story.

Umm. So? You do know there are academics that are anarchists, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:31 pm 

stephanie wrote:
Milwaukee has an inexplicably huge number of people who refer to themselves as anarchists... TRUTH, TRUTH, TRUTH!

AHAHAHHAHA! I'm glad someone else posted it. Because the first thing this post made me think of were the anarchist kids from MKE. When I lived there the only "anarchists" I met were a bunch of trust fund kids living in apartments their parents (the man) paid for whilst peer pressuring high school girls to sleep with them and shoplifting from the co-op (wow, you are REALLY sticking it to the system, d-bag).

Still, I wouldn't hold their behavior against all people who believe in some form of anarchy. I also met a lot of douchey vegans in MKE (I mean, there was actually a significant vegan population, I should just be glad there were enough to have some variety), but overall I think vegans are awesome.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:39 pm 

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:

Umm. So? You do know there are academics that are anarchists, right?

Yes. I mistyped the above. It wasn't theory he wanted to study; it was practice. The idea of paying to go to school for that is funny.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I will argue with anarchists but I don't argue on facebook (with anyone).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm very positive on anarchists, but I understand your pain!

Recently the bus drivers here in St.John's went on strike, and the offer the company gave to the union isn't being publicized, so no one knows what exactly they rejected. This is the first contract renewal since 2004 and cost of living skyrocketed since, so I can certainly understand why they're asking for raises.

Anyway, so this girl was complaining on how she hates unions on facebook, and I basically just said what I said in the paragraph above, but tried to be light hearted about it because I like this girl and didn't want her to feel like I was lecturing her, and I made a joke about how the proletariat has to stick together.

So this guy on her friend's list, dunno who he is, answers with "UNIONS DONT WORK BECAUSE THERE CAN BE NO SOLIDARITY WHEN THE UNION IS AS CORRUPT AS THE SYSTEM THEY ARE FIGHTING." Mind you the drivers voted 97% in favour of a strike, so I don't think they can argue there's no solidarity among them. I left a reply about how unions do work and the benefits of unions, and I know he replied since but I'm not going to look, its impossible to argue with that kind of mindset. Everything must be corrupt! Even when we do not know any details!

Any kind of ideology has that kind of people, its just funny and the hypocrisy more jarring when anarchists do it, I think.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I agree, monarchists are dicks, what with every argument returning to, "Well, who's wearing the crown," and like "I am the Sun King" and shiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

NatanVee wrote:
I agree, monarchists are dicks, what with every argument returning to, "Well, who's wearing the crown," and like "I am the Sun King" and shiitake.

+1
Also I love your avatar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

heathenmama wrote:
I can't tell the difference between some anarchists and libertarians. It's weird when people are so far left that they're right. Social Darwinism gives me a headache.

You read my mind. I thought the exact same thing. There is someone on my FB list that is libertarian and he has these same types of debates with me on my page. So much so that other friends have sent me private messages complaining about him. I finally hid him from my feed when he posted something about thinking it was hypocritical for animal lovers or vegans to get their cats and dogs spayed and neutered. WHAT? He was off the RSS in no time because I have no more energy left to give to his ridiculous notions.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:12 pm 

TuxedoCat wrote:
heathenmama wrote:

You read my mind. I thought the exact same thing. There is someone on my FB list that is libertarian and he has these same types of debates with me on my page. So much so that other friends have sent me private messages complaining about him. I finally hid him from my feed when he posted something about thinking it was hypocritical for animal lovers or vegans to get their cats and dogs spayed and neutered. WHAT? He was off the RSS in no time because I have no more energy left to give to his ridiculous notions.

Yeah, I've had people accuse me of being a hypocrite for being vegan and having companion animals. I rescued my two dogs and the cat was given to me. They're my kids and I spoil them rotten.

People don't have a forking clue, I swear.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

NatanVee wrote:

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 pm 

Shy Mox wrote:
NatanVee wrote:

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

fresh_paint wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
NatanVee wrote:

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

i love you guys

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:15 am 
Dildo Queen

i couldn't get past the first sentence.

what kind of anarchist uses facebook?

okay so i read the rest. what kind of anarchist eats animals and thinks it's okay to oppress them?

A POSEUR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:14 am 

This thread bums me out. Too many misconceptions and generalizations. Take "anarchist" out of this topic and insert "vegan" and it takes on full form of an annoying anti-vegan rant.

So I met this one vegan once and that person was a jerk! Well, then.

Anyone who rejects hierarchies and oppression should reject species privilege. If they do not that is really unfortunate, but it is in no way a reflection of anarchist philosophy.

"POSI JUMP HURTS MY TITS" - Isa.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

NatanVee wrote:

Do you guys actually have monarchists in the US? Because I went to school with royalists, and these guys were FORKING SCARY.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:41 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

aelle wrote:
NatanVee wrote:

Do you guys actually have monarchists in the US? Because I went to school with royalists, and these guys were FORKING SCARY.

I have never met a monarchist.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next