| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Lab-grown meat" a reality!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

solipsistnation wrote:

The most obvious choice here is the one species on the planet we can actually talk to.

Gorillas?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:03 am 
Inflexitarian

solipsistnation wrote:

Clearly the best option is to find an animal able to give consent and donate his or her tissues to science/future guilt-free meaty meals.

The most obvious choice here is the one species on the planet we can actually talk to.

I haven't eaten meat since I was 7, and I didn't think I'd eat lab grown meat even if it was hypothetically guaranteed to be 1000% humane, or made from a synthetic source somehow, or whatever.

However, call me unhinged, but I'd definitely consider eating lab grown human meat...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Take my lack of desire for consuming flesh and add a thick layer of grossed-out-ness, and you have my reaction to this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

What makes me laugh ironically is that the people who are most outraged by this assume that they're going to be able to choose between lab meat and conventional meat. With labeling laws in the US, we already don't get to choose between GMO and non-GMO products... why do we think the FDA is going to require that vat meat be labeled any differently then conventionally produced meat?

This is assuming that production becomes cheap enough and agribusiness gets behind lab meat and lobbies for it...

I'll stick to my beans and tofu, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

vegimator wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

Gorillas?

Sooooorta.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:58 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I think it's creepy and a probably waste of money. Omnivores aren't going to want to eat this stuff, are they? I'm pretty confident vegetarians and vegans won't be lining up for it, either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Am I the only one who knows omnis that think lab meat is a good idea? My fiance has said he doesn't want to stop eating meat but feels bad every time he does. He said he'd definitely eat lab meat as long as it was safe. My family have said the same thing. Tissue is tissue. It doesn't seem gross to me, at least. What's grosser to me is why there is salmonella on chicken products or E. coli in beef.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Disappearing Ink wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

Clearly the best option is to find an animal able to give consent and donate his or her tissues to science/future guilt-free meaty meals.

I haven't eaten meat since I was 7, and I didn't think I'd eat lab grown meat even if it was hypothetically guaranteed to be 1000% humane, or made from a synthetic source somehow, or whatever.

However, call me unhinged, but I'd definitely consider eating lab grown human meat...

SOYLENT GREEN is PEOPLE!

eta: sorry, that was the first thought that popped into my head. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:05 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

couroupita wrote:
Am I the only one who knows omnis that think lab meat is a good idea? My fiance has said he doesn't want to stop eating meat but feels bad every time he does. He said he'd definitely eat lab meat as long as it was safe. My family have said the same thing. Tissue is tissue. It doesn't seem gross to me, at least. What's grosser to me is why there is salmonella on chicken products or E. coli in beef.

It's not something I wanna bring up to them but I feel like the majority of the omnis I know would eat it. I have almost no omnis in my life who won't eat fast food or read ingredient lists for their own food, so if they could get the exact same product they have now minus the death, I'm sure they'd continue to not give a shiitake about where it came from.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

zensquiggle wrote:
What makes me laugh ironically is that the people who are most outraged by this assume that they're going to be able to choose between lab meat and conventional meat. With labeling laws in the US, we already don't get to choose between GMO and non-GMO products... why do we think the FDA is going to require that vat meat be labeled any differently then conventionally produced meat?

This is assuming that production becomes cheap enough and agribusiness gets behind lab meat and lobbies for it...

I'll stick to my beans and tofu, thanks!

I think it's way more likely that Big Ag lobbies for lab meat to be sold under bizarre labels and be dyed purple so customers don't confuse it with real meat and also forbid it from calling itself "meat." So we end up with lab meat marketed as Mom&Pop's purple stem-cell electroshock-derived fibrous meat-like tissue stick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

they're most likely not taking the stem cells from an animal post birth. they're probably making a "test tube baby" and taking them from the mass of cells that form just after fertilization. so the only vegans who can legitimately be opposed are anti-choicers. :-p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

solipsistnation wrote:

Leave the parrots alone!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:06 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

solipsistnation wrote:

Leave the parrots alone!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:28 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

couroupita wrote:

I spoke to one this morning who was all for it, he said taste is king, he doesn't care where it comes from. I don't know if he's in the minority or the majority.

Short of massive Ag lobbying (a very legitimate possibility of course) though, I don't see how most people would have a clue what they were eating, if Mcdonalds can get it cheaper than from hormel etc, then they are going to sell lab grown burgers and will most likely not tell their customers a thing; unless of course they can somehow get scientific (pseudo or not) evidence that shows it is healthier for you.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 am 
Dead by dawn

I have talked to omnis who said they'd eat it. The pros include no death, but the bigger thing was no hormones or steroids or antibiotics needed, and way less risk of food borne illness. So yeah, a burger that's really beef and tastes the same but with no chance of e coli sounded like a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Yeah, I think people generally underestimate the power of marketing on this one. "New from FreshHarvest: Cleanburgers."

It was interesting that they talked about indistinguishable-from-meat plant-based substitutes in the same article, though. Maybe the next generation of plant flesh will beat vat meat to the punch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

just mumbles wrote:
It was interesting that they talked about indistinguishable-from-meat plant-based substitutes in the same article, though. Maybe the next generation of plant flesh will beat vat meat to the punch.

That would be cool. I think the biggest selling point of vat meat would be that it would hopefully have identical or superior nutritional value in addition to tasting the same.

Though when you think about it, they're going to have to get pretty elaborate for that to happen. They'd have to culture blood for heme iron for instance. They might have to do that to match the taste anyway though. Either way, I bet they'd probably just end up adding synthetic supplements for some of things like B-12, and so on because it would be cheaper. I wonder if they would even bother with the non-essential carni-nutrients like K-2, taurine, creatine and carnosine. Or would those be generated simply by the creation of the muscle tissue?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:16 am 
Naked Under Apron

From the BBC:

"Prof Julian Savulescu the director of the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Ethics says it doesn't matter how the product is made and "the fact that the meat is made from animal by-products is morally irrelevant".

"People who are vegetarian for moral reasons - the environment, the treatment of animals - have a moral obligation to eat this meat.

"They need to do this because it will contribute to an ethical alternative to conventional meat."

"

Thanks for telling me how I feel Julian.

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:38 am 
Inflexitarian

matwinser wrote:
From the BBC:

"Prof Julian Savulescu the director of the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Ethics says it doesn't matter how the product is made and "the fact that the meat is made from animal by-products is morally irrelevant".

"People who are vegetarian for moral reasons - the environment, the treatment of animals - have a moral obligation to eat this meat.

"They need to do this because it will contribute to an ethical alternative to conventional meat."

"

Thanks for telling me how I feel Julian.

Mat.

Wow, yeah..... that's pretty messed up.

Another ethical alternative to conventional meat is.... let's see.... uh, not eating any sort of meat? I think I'll stick to that, thanks.

I kind of see the point he's trying to make. But, it also doesn't make that much sense. And, after so long of not eating meat, just the vague thought of eating flesh (no matter where it comes from) makes me feel a little bit sick. So yeah, I'll stay away from vat meat, even if this makes me ethically unsound in the eyes of others.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yeah, the BBC article pissed me off enormously. I have a moral obligation to support something I disagree with so you can market it? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

I don't think i would mind eating this stuff. I guess it's made from regular ol' stem cells but i wonder if they could do it from taking skin cells and reverting them to stem cells and do it that way. I wonder too if they have problems with cell differentiation after a while and need new stem cells or whether you can just keep on culturing them without any defects occurring. Suppose i could do a bit of research on it but then it's not likely to be on the shelves any time soon anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I assume you need cattle stem cells to make lab-grown beef, pig stem cells to make lab grown pork etc.

So using human donors might give you a whole new level of weirdness for people to get past before they would eat the meat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:07 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

You know, i posted a similar article years ago on the old boards, right after going vegan. I was all excited. Yay! meat that doesnt come from animals! im alllll over it.

But now? the idea of biting into a steak, no matter if it didnt come from an actual animal totally grosses me out. 'vegan' or not.

Perhaps I could get used to it...but meh. I dunno. Some fake meats even gross me out sometimes if they are too 'real'

I really like the idea that someone said about creating 'real' synthetic leather and wool and such. That would be more realistic. And also, it might help society ease into using synthetics more, and when this 'lab meat' becomes a reality, people might actually eat it.

Right now, i bet most omni's wouldnt eat it. Look at the original article. there is a poll, and few would eat it. Also the comments. Never mind. dont read the comments. never read the comments (I always do and regret it.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

new info on lab meat: research being funded by Sergey Brin of Google. A video is released for the pitch:
http://www.theguardian.com/science/vide ... -hamburger

eta: in addition to the video link above, there is this article.

Quote:
Brin said he had been moved to invest in the technology for animal welfare reasons. People had an erroneous image of modern meat production, he said, in terms of "pristine farms" with just a few animals in them. "When you see how these cows are treated, it's certainly something I'm not comfortable with."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yes I was very excited to hear about this today! Coming back to this thread a year and I still think it's a great idea. My formerly omni partner is now a vegetarian and can't wait to try this stuff. He misses burgers. Once it's around long enough I doubt many people will think it's gross. Just gotta let the next generation change the existing paradigm!

I'm down for lab grown leathers and fibers, too. I'm tired of the knitting community calling me a hypocrite for using acrylic yarn.

Oh, and lab grown casein would be super!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next