| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Lab-grown meat" a reality!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:52 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I find it very sad that our society is so attached to meat as a food source that someone is willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars growing meat in a lab.

Just eat plants...sheesh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know quite a few people who would probably never, ever go vegan and just eat plants. I think it's better that they would be eating lab-grown meat and a lot less animals would be suffering, not to mention the environmental impacts.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 am 
Saggy Butt

It isn't just our society, I think it is the world. Developing nations see having meat as a sign of success, something that was denied to them that they felt judged by. All they know is that others have it and they want it.

In my opinion, if it becomes cheaper to produce than conventional meat the slaughter houses will disappear. The kind of comments you hear now are the kind of comments you hear about any change. If tube meat looks & tastes close enough to the real thing......and is cheaper, people will buy it instead.

I just hope it ends up having a lighter environmental footprint when all is said and done.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 am 
WRETCHED

lobsteriffic wrote:
I know quite a few people who would probably never, ever go vegan and just eat plants. I think it's better that they would be eating lab-grown meat and a lot less animals would be suffering, not to mention the environmental impacts.

Yup, there is a lot of waste in meat production so if you reduce the waste and make it cheaper then it could be an environmental boon as well as reducing animal suffering.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:26 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Apparently it didn't taste as good as it could have because it didn't have fat in it. So they'll have to come up with VatFat, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Hundreds of thousands of dollars is what Sergey Brin finds in his couch cushions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 am 
Tofu Pup

remember the "beef is beef" campaign that resulted from the pink slime scandal last year? that's how I feel about synthetic meat for now - it's still meat.

I doubt that I will eat it - but I think that it's a win for the animals if it can eventually replace factory farms.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

linanil wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Yup, there is a lot of waste in meat production so if you reduce the waste and make it cheaper then it could be an environmental boon as well as reducing animal suffering.

No doubt that the reduced number of cows would at least mean less methane being farted into the atmosphere. As to whether or not there would be environmental savings would not become clear until that technology reached production level refinement. Lab grown muscle would still need protein, energy, etc to grow and that would have to come somewhere. Possibly some of the equipment or chemicals needed for the labs could become a new environmental problem.

Still, even if there are zero environmental gains, if lab meat is "good enough" for consumers, at a cheaper price and cheaper to produce it would replace a lot of factory farms and be a win for animals that probably just wouldn't happen otherwise.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mumbles wrote:
Hundreds of thousands of dollars is what Sergey Brin finds in his couch cushions.

and honestly, i think it's more useful in the hands of scientists than someone's couch cushions. job creation is a good thing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:17 pm 
WRETCHED

beforewisdom wrote:
linanil wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

No doubt that the reduced number of cows would at least mean less methane being farted into the atmosphere. As to whether or not there would be environmental savings would not become clear until that technology reached production level refinement. Lab grown muscle would still need protein, energy, etc to grow and that would have to come somewhere. Possibly some of the equipment or chemicals needed for the labs could become a new environmental problem.

Still, even if there are zero environmental gains, if lab meat is "good enough" for consumers, at a cheaper price and cheaper to produce it would replace a lot of factory farms and be a win for animals that probably just wouldn't happen otherwise.

Well agreed but I can imagine that after a while, there would be less waste, not only methane but just animal waste in general and parts of the animals that aren't used, water and food requirements plus all the antiobiotics and what not. If we could chill out on our antibiotic use, that would be good. It seems like focusing on raising meat vs raising an animal would be generally less wasteful. I'm hopeful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

The question is, is the meat Kosher?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

if there is no slaughtering, and the source material is kosher, and the machines are kosher, i see no reason why it wouldn't be.

::edit:: it probably wouldn't be pareve, since it's still originating from animal flesh, but who knows? kosher laws are so weird, and if something is far enough removed from the animal, they could theoretically certify it as pareve.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If I'm looking for an excuse to eat meat, well, this could be it, I suppose. I don't see where it would be any better for people nutritionally speaking, even without the antibiotics. But I agree with folks that think perhaps it would lessen animal suffering. I guess we will just have to see.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If I'm looking for an excuse to eat meat, well, this could be it, I suppose. I don't see where it would be any better for people nutritionally speaking, even without the antibiotics. But I agree with folks that think perhaps it would lessen animal suffering. I guess we will just have to see.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:35 pm 
WRETCHED

Arlyss wrote:

Well I brought up antibiotics because antibiotic resistance is a huge deal in the medical community. It doesn't change the nutritional value but the fact that antibiotics are becoming less effective due to overuse is a pretty big deal. If we could start limiting the use, that'd be a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If it could be done without animal source material and qualify as vegan, I would totally eat it. I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't like the taste and certainly not because I was worried about meaty healthy concerns.

As to the kosher question - we won't know until it's actually a thing you can buy and the powers-that-be have a reason to respond to the question. If kosher, it will certainly be classified as "meat," since appearances are 80% of the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

alden wrote:
several omni family and friends were posting this up on FB and commenting how gross it was...I held my tongue because I didn't want to be the "preachy vegan" and I knew it wouldn't accomplish anything with the crowd posting but really? This is somehow worse than an abused and likely diseased, antibiotic/hormone filled animal and the slaugtherhouse it is put through?

Yeah my boss said it was gross and I replied "well if you think about it, eating a dead animal is kinda gross" and he said that that was more of a philosophical argument. I didn't know what to say to that!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LazySmurf wrote:
alden wrote:
several omni family and friends were posting this up on FB and commenting how gross it was...I held my tongue because I didn't want to be the "preachy vegan" and I knew it wouldn't accomplish anything with the crowd posting but really? This is somehow worse than an abused and likely diseased, antibiotic/hormone filled animal and the slaugtherhouse it is put through?

Yeah my boss said it was gross and I replied "well if you think about it, eating a dead animal is kinda gross" and he said that that was more of a philosophical argument. I didn't know what to say to that!

What? No, man, I'm saying - that animal is dead, see? And generally we think dead animals are gross, and also when you eat an animal there's guts and stuff and guts are gross, so eating that dead animal is gross, right?

I think pretty much all the omnis I know would be very happy to eat this, especially if in hamburgers or Chinese food or other things which obliterate the actual form of the animal anyway and are considered vaguely mystery food like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LazySmurf wrote:
alden wrote:

Right. Because obviously there is no philosophical discussion to be had about the ethics of growing meat artificially in a lab vs. specifically creating living animals from whom to "harvest" it. Don't you just love it when people don't know what words mean but use them anyway?

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:05 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Arlyss wrote:
If I'm looking for an excuse to eat meat, well, this could be it, I suppose. I don't see where it would be any better for people nutritionally speaking, even without the antibiotics.

Because we'd be unconstrained by conventional processes. The burger eaten a few days ago apparently had no fat, which means it's already going to be more attractive (from a nutritional standpoint, for most people) than a traditional hamburger. Presumably it would have to contain at least some fat before it could be marketable, but there's no reason to slavishly recreate animal fat here. They could change the ratio of satured to unsaturated fats, introduce more omega-3s, or whatever else is technically feasible.

Apart from the nutritional questions, there are lots of food-borne illnesses which are hard to deal with when your meat comes from living animals constantly surrounded by lakes of their own shiitake.

I really don't think this stuff will be all that difficult to market. "New from Scared shiitake-less Farms: The Cleanburger."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:07 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

mumbles wrote:
there are lots of food-borne illnesses which are hard to deal with when your meat comes from living animals constantly surrounded by lakes of their own shiitake.

You should write vegan outreach pamphlets.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:20 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

LazySmurf wrote:
alden wrote:

i can kind of understand it when people say petri meat has an ick factor that "natural" meat might not have, but i don't think there's anything rational about that reaction. they're the same cells. it's the same food. i guess the issue is that a lot of people don't want to think of their food as cells. so this line of reasoning is probably a good way to stop the conversation, but not an ideal way to have the conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:
mumbles wrote:
there are lots of food-borne illnesses which are hard to deal with when your meat comes from living animals constantly surrounded by lakes of their own shiitake.
You should write vegan outreach pamphlets.
mumbles wrote:
I really don't think this stuff will be all that difficult to market. "New from Scared shiitake-less Farms: The Cleanburger."
And advertising copy!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was reading something about the process of culturing this meat (which of course I now can't find) and I believe both dairy and egg proteins were used to feed the culture or something like that. (I'll have to see if I can find that info again.) If that were true, I don't think it would qualify as either vegan or kosher. Still, a step in the right direction over meat from slaughtered animals.

Also, this is an interesting opinion piece by the founder of The Vegetarian Butcher in one of the Dutch papers about why lab-grown meat is actually an obsolete idea. It's in Dutch and too long for me to translate right now, but I suspect google translate will get you pretty far. The basic premise is that the amount of money and effort that is going into the production of lab meat is a waste (this particular burger had the price tag of $325,000) especially when plant-based options are being developed that are so close in structure/taste to real meat that it can fool meat eaters. (Like Bittman tasting Beyond Meat and Ferran Adria tasting the chicken from The Vegetarian Butcher.)

In theory, I agree with him. On the other hand, I know there will be a segment of the population that will never accept plant-based versions of meat, so I'm glad this option is being developed. I do think it's a pity, though, that so much money and resources are being poured into the development of this when alternatives are already available.

ETA: It also appears that artificial growth hormones will likely have to be used for large scale production, and that both collagen and cochineal may be used in production.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lepelaar wrote:
I was reading something about the process of culturing this meat (which of course I now can't find) and I believe both dairy and egg proteins were used to feed the culture or something like that. (I'll have to see if I can find that info again.) If that were true, I don't think it would qualify as either vegan or kosher. Still, a step in the right direction over meat from slaughtered animals.

Also, this is an interesting opinion piece by the founder of The Vegetarian Butcher in one of the Dutch papers about why lab-grown meat is actually an obsolete idea. It's in Dutch and too long for me to translate right now, but I suspect google translate will get you pretty far. The basic premise is that the amount of money and effort that is going into the production of lab meat is a waste (this particular burger had the price tag of $325,000) especially when plant-based options are being developed that are so close in structure/taste to real meat that it can fool meat eaters. (Like Bittman tasting Beyond Meat and Ferran Adria tasting the chicken from The Vegetarian Butcher.)

In theory, I agree with him. On the other hand, I know there will be a segment of the population that will never accept plant-based versions of meat, so I'm glad this option is being developed. I do think it's a pity, though, that so much money and resources are being poured into the development of this when alternatives are already available.

ETA: It also appears that artificial growth hormones will likely have to be used for large scale production, and that both collagen and cochineal may be used in production.
I thought they used fetal bovine serum? Which is gross and sad. And expensive and kills cattle so I don't know what they're looking at the alternatives.

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next