| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AR person tries to put out a hit on someone wearing fur
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

By posting it on facebook. Christ what an idiot/crasshole.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/22/justice/o ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Post subject: Re: AR person tries to put out a hit on someone wearing fur
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:06 am 
Level 7 Vegan

What the fork? I hope she gets the mental help she obviously needs. That is bizarre behavior.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Please, people, if you're going to put a hit out on someone, don't request that it be done at a library. Librarians have to deal with enough crepe without contract killings in the stacks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hoveringdog™ wrote:
Please, people, if you're going to put a hit out on someone, don't request that it be done at a library. Librarians have to deal with enough crepe without contract killings in the stacks.

Way to make me laugh at a not funny story.

Also, I totally read this as "AR person tries to hit on someone wearing fur" which I thought was a weird and insignificant thing to make the news.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 am 
Nailed to the V

I think this story is hilarious. Note to all you militant vegans: If a hitman is going to agree to kill someone for less than $1,000 they are probably a fed.

I hope she was a card carrying PETA member.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Quote:
She then allegedly requested that the murder take place at a local library and that she be present so that she could then hand out documents about animal cruelty after the homicide.

heh heh. that would be some effective leafletting right there, I tell you what.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I can't breathe right now. I'm from that city and I worked at the local library for 3 years... omg. I can't even imagine. My friends work there. I might know the person she wants to kill. UGGGGH.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:10 am 
Nailed to the V

I was hoping we'd have facebook friends in common but I can't find any profiles, there's got to be some connection. One of us HAS to know her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 am 

I asked on my Facebook page if anyone knows her (a lot of my friends on there are from that city)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 am 
Smuggling Raisins

This is so disturbing. *shiver*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The chances that this actually would have ever gone down are pretty much nonexistent, though, even if the feds hadn't interfered. This woman was obviously crazy and I doubt she would have found an accomplice willing to kill someone for for less that a grand who wouldn't have been scared off by her mental state, as well as the fact that she wanted to be present when the murder took place.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:56 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Oh you can definitely hire a hitman for less than a grand. Mayhaps not on facebook...but that shiitake happens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

To me, the weirdest part is that she didn't have any particular target in mind, just so long as it was someone wearing fur, and not anyone she knew personally/a member of her family.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 am 
ugh

Jigglypuff wrote:
What the fork? I hope she gets the mental help she obviously needs. That is bizarre behavior.

Quarantined wrote:
The chances that this actually would have ever gone down are pretty much nonexistent, though, even if the feds hadn't interfered. This woman was obviously crazy and I doubt she would have found an accomplice willing to kill someone for for less that a grand who wouldn't have been scared off by her mental state, as well as the fact that she wanted to be present when the murder took place.

Violent person =/= crazy person. I know and love people who are actually "crazy" - even animal activists! - who wouldn't ever ever do something like this. I'm sure you don't intend for this to be insulting, but it is.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

She probably is mentally unstable, that doesn't mean all mentally unstable people would do this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

b.vicious wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

Quarantined wrote:

Violent person =/= crazy person. I know and love people who are actually "crazy" - even animal activists! - who wouldn't ever ever do something like this. I'm sure you don't intend for this to be insulting, but it is.

I shouldn't have used the word crazy, I'm sorry. But she was clearly mentally unbalanced and not just violent. She wanted to hand out fliers to people right after a murder takes place that she has planned and paid for, to me that speaks to a serious mental disturbance beyond a violent nature. She might not even be that violent personally, if she does not want to commit the act herself, but wants to hire someone. Anyway, I'm speaking out of my asparagus because I'm not a psychologist, but that was what I was getting at, that I doubt this idea of hers would have gotten very far considering her mental state.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fee wrote:
She probably is mentally unstable, that doesn't mean all mentally unstable people would do this.

yeah I agree but that wasn't my point, just that the idea seems really unrealistic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 am 
ugh

Quarantined wrote:
I shouldn't have used the word crazy, I'm sorry. But she was clearly mentally unbalanced and not just violent. She wanted to hand out fliers to people right after a murder takes place that she has planned and paid for, to me that speaks to a serious mental disturbance beyond a violent nature. She might not even be that violent personally, if she does not want to commit the act herself, but wants to hire someone. Anyway, I'm speaking out of my asparagus because I'm not a psychologist, but that was what I was getting at, that I doubt this idea of hers would have gotten very far considering her mental state.

Actually, you have no idea whether she was "mentally unbalanced" - as you said, you're not a psychologist. It's not the word crazy in particular that I'm taking offense to, it's the assumption that mental illness had to play a part in this. But other people can explain this better than I can: http://youarenotyou.tumblr.com/post/818 ... lence-with

Sorry if this is a derail.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I retract my speculation that she was mentally unbalanced- my intention was only to point out that that I thought the situation was pretty unrealistic to actually happen. of course it's good she was caught the way she was, in case she would have actually carried it out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:10 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

b.vicious wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

Quarantined wrote:

You don't read this story and get the impression that the woman must have major mental health issues? I don't think anyone is saying that crazy = violent or violent = crazy. What I see is people saying this particular person appears to be both, based on the news being reported. Based on the information available right now, I'd have to say I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:27 pm 
Grandfathered In

I think believing it's reasonable to hire someone to kill a person for wearing fur—and to want to be there when the murder happens so you can hand out anti-fur literature to witnesses—is suggestive of some kind of mental issues.

Does the alleged behavior prove this woman is mentally unbalanced? I guess not. But I can't read this and not see is as evidence of that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

What Jopa said. There is nothing mentally sound about any of the actions taken by the woman. And nobody has stated that violence and crazy equal the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

FootFace wrote:
I think believing it's reasonable to hire someone to kill a person for wearing fur—and to want to be there when the murder happens so you can hand out anti-fur literature to witnesses—is suggestive of some kind of mental issues.

Does the alleged behavior prove this woman is mentally unbalanced? I guess not. But I can't read this and not see is as evidence of that.

yeah, that's what I was trying to say, though I'm pretty inarticulate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 pm 

And how would a non-mentally disturbed person not think that maybe the person is wearing FAKE fur?

But anyway, the logic/reasoning makes no sense. Killing someone in front of others and passing out AR literature will make them see her side? Will make them more sympathetic? Will make them... ? After viewing a murder, people will be interested in taking a pamphlet and will actually read it? Not really. This seems like a mentally disturbed person to me for sure.

As I said, I'm from this city. Murders are a big deal. Years can go by without there being even one murder, so people witnessing this murder will in no way think about animal rights.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 pm 
ugh

Personally, I don't think murdering someone is a reasonable thing to do, but it happens all the time, and lots of people who murder and commit other violent acts don't have mental illnesses. I don't think I can explain any better than the link I posted previously, here's the relevant bit (emphasis mine):
Quote:
There is no evidence to back up the assertion that mentally ill people are more prone to violence, and in fact, there is evidence proving that this is nothing but a strongly enforced ableist stereotype. The percentage of mentally ill people who do violent things is the same as the percentage of non-mentally ill people who do violent things. People often argue this point with “well a person MUST be crazy to do that [violent act]!” Again, this is not based in fact but in ableist lines of thinking and the construction of mental illness as being the reason for any non-normative or “unreasonable” behaviors. Violent behavior (self injury excluded) is not a given for any mental illness, and just because it can be a symptom of mental illness is not a valid reason for the automatic assumption that mental illness is to blame for any violent act.

Last edited by b.vicious on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.