| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feeding the hungry over the holidays
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

http://www.tonsofturkeys.org/

The company I work for received a letter from this non-profit today. And while I would like to applaud their efforts, this infuriates me.

Post subject: Re: Feeding the hungry over the holidays
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Not only is it annoying that they only provide a turkey, as if that's the best and only food item needed, but it bothers me when certain people only care about hungry families around the holidays. Do those hungry families disappear after Christmas? I wish people thought of those less fortunate on a more year-round blanced basis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've read several places that the time when shelters and food pantries and places like that tend to need the most help is during the summer. There are so many people who want to feed the poor on Thanksgiving and Christmas that the shelters have to turn volunteers away, but during the summers they're really short on people and supplies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yeah, about the summer 'dry' season for money and volunteers, that's why I don't donate over the holidays. I do my yearly contributions in May.

And specifically about Turkeys, my partner works for a big cable company and they were talking about ideas for their Christmas/Thanksgiving fund raisers and donations and the turkey provision idea came up. He managed to convince them to provide hampers that would include things other than a Turkey so that families that were vegetarian could have *something* and so that vegetarian company members would have something to donate.

So... there is hope kind of... But yeah. It bugs me. The only time we had to go on food assistance, we got cans of tuna and beef flavoured ramen among other things (milk, etc) no beans or anything. It's what gets donated.

What I wish was that there was a vegetarian/vegan christmas/holiday foundation that would provide vegetarian families with a holiday dinner that they could eat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

As someone who spent most of her childhood on welfare/public assistance and getting our groceries from food banks, I loved this shiitake. Just loved. I wept with gratitude whenever some church or other organization brought us a turkey. For my single mother (I am 1 of 5), fresh produce and meat -- as opposed to the omnipresent BPA-drenched tinned/dried stuff; yep, the U.S. government distributes canned meat of all kinds -- could be tough to come by, so having this roll around every year was really heartening and uplifting.
While I'm as bummed as anyone that all this organization does is collect and distribute bird corpses, it's important to remember that this might be one of the only times of year that recipient families get to gather around and serve a fresh protein source. Someone bringing you a giant hunk of food that's going to feed your family for a week (roast, leftovers, stuffing, stock) is a) very humbling and b) a reminder that someone out there is rooting for you and wants things to get better. And now I am crying, oops!

Sorry for the meat-talk! I would love it if there was a tofu drive for vegetarian families, but I don't see it happening in the upper Midwest anytime soon.

/$0.02

<3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I
stephanie wrote:
As someone who spent most of her childhood on welfare/public assistance and getting our groceries from food banks, I loved this shiitake. Just loved. I wept with gratitude whenever some church or other organization brought us a turkey. For my single mother (I am 1 of 5), fresh produce and meat -- as opposed to the omnipresent BPA-drenched tinned/dried stuff; yep, the U.S. government distributes canned meat of all kinds -- could be tough to come by, so having this roll around every year was really heartening and uplifting.
While I'm as bummed as anyone that all this organization does is collect and distribute bird corpses, it's important to remember that this might be one of the only times of year that recipient families get to gather around and serve a fresh protein source. Someone bringing you a giant hunk of food that's going to feed your family for a week (roast, leftovers, stuffing, stock) is a) very humbling and b) a reminder that someone out there is rooting for you and wants things to get better. And now I am crying, oops!

Sorry for the meat-talk! I would love it if there was a tofu drive for vegetarian families, but I don't see it happening in the upper Midwest anytime soon.

/$0.02

<3

Thank you for sharing your story. I agree with you and just found out about Food not bombs.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1778

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

stephanie wrote:

/$0.02

<3

Thanks for making me get teary eyed at work! But I do agree

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

stephanie wrote:

/$0.02

<3

Yes, I can see how it means a lot. Thank you for sharing. I wish that kind of help happened more often for families in need. I wish I wasn't canned hominy, ramen, mac n cheese, day old bread and other unwanted or unhealthy foods that were always being given away. I wish for every box of food that is given out, there was someone along the way asking "would I want to eat this for a week?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:02 pm 

Aw, you guys. <3

graffitipassion wrote:
Yes, I can see how it means a lot. Thank you for sharing. I wish that kind of help happened more often for families in need. I wish I wasn't canned hominy, ramen, mac n cheese, day old bread and other unwanted or unhealthy foods that were always being given away. I wish for every box of food that is given out, there was someone along the way asking "would I want to eat this for a week?"

YES! This.
I wish everyone who donated food to a food bank would ask themselves this question, because it makes it instantly easy to know what to donate. Rice, cereal, pasta, pasta sauce, low-sodium soup, peanut butter, applesauce, green beans, fruit packed in juice or water, cooking oil, spices! Those are the things I remember being extra-psyched about seeing on the shelves. My mom was a canned asparagus devotee, but peanut butter was the biggest deal for everyone. Always had to wait in line for the PB and hope there was a jar left by the time you got up to the front.

/OT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:50 pm 
Dildo Queen

FOOD NOT BOMBS, BOIIIII

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 am 

semiautomatic wrote:
FOOD NOT BOMBS, BOIIIII

Yup.
At our FNB meals, people are stoked about eating (vegan) food with lots of veggies, grains, etc. And many people love being able to take produce with them. Basically, what people have told me is our two meals are the only opportunity they have to eat/pick up fruits and veggies for the week. Which is forked up, because it's not like grocery stores, farmer's markets and restaurants aren't throwing this stuff out every day. There is so much healthy food out there that's not being used.

I also get pissed about the feeding homeless/low income people over the holidays, especially since so many groups that share food (like FNB) are harassed or have other problems throughout the year. Where are all these people the rest of the year? What, do people only need food in November and December?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Olives wrote:
I also get pissed about the feeding homeless/low income people over the holidays, especially since so many groups that share food (like FNB) are harassed or have other problems throughout the year. Where are all these people the rest of the year? What, do people only need food in November and December?

The worst is when all the celebrities come out to downtown on Thanksgiving. They put on cute aprons and carefully stand BEHIND the food and serve it to the homeless for a photo op. Sure, it might bring awareness for that one day about how we should be grateful. But I doubt their everyday concern.

Every week we make food for the homeless out of our house. Food Not Bombs sometimes donates vegetables to us. We make healthy food, ride our bikes to skid row, and then personally hand it to people. Every week. We don't stand behind the food with big smiles plastered on our faces once a year. Oh man, I get so mad. I gotta stop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:08 pm 
WRETCHED

In my county, there is a food pantry that collects year round. At work, we usually have boxes 3-4 times per year. Although sometimes it is odd things you'd see in there such as snapple (?). Next time though, I'll be sure to buy some peanut butter although I'd be excited about hominy :)

We never collected from food kitchens when I was young but we did used to get the government cheese and butter, maybe bread too. I remember also walking by a church once (I lived in a poor neighborhood) and they told me to take a bag of food home to my family. I tried to protest because at that point, we were doing ok for ourselves compared to others in the community. They insisted so I did. I believe my mom gave the food to one of our neighbors.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am glad to know that peanut butter is a wanted thing-we donate a couple times a year to local food banks and I usually send a few jars of pb. I will keep the rest of your list in mind!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:09 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

It's good to know some of the things I donate are wanted, like PB and pasta. As a general rule, I donate only things I'd eat, except if I have accidentally purchased nonvegan items lying around. I've been known to throw those in along with whatever I buy specifically to donate or pull out of my pantry for that purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

I don't know why more places do not offer fresh produce. When I lived in utah the food banks always gave produce along with canned/dried goods.