| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Fee wrote:
If your life sucks if you don't say something makes you look fat...I don't know, re-evaluate or something.

Yeah...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Sarah-Jane wrote:
Fee wrote:
If your life sucks if you don't say something makes you look fat...I don't know, re-evaluate or something.

Yeah...
+ 1 yummy.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Fee wrote:
Dressing rooms are stressful places [...]

Especially if you work at one! It makes me really sad how many women come in, try something, and make negative comments about their own bodies. Yesterday a woman tried on a dress and I thought she looked great in it. And then she said that she didn't have the perfect figure and probably should try on something else. She thought the dress made her "look fat". Then a coworkers wife came in, tried on some linen shorts. She started ranting about her "fat legs and fat knees" for about ten minutes and I couldn't convince her that the shorts fitted perfectly and that her legs were fine. All she could think of was what others would think of her if she wore those shorts with her "fat legs".
And a coworker tried on some shorts, too. She asked me if she "looked fat" and then she said. "Well, fat women wear those shorts, too. Don't they?" Yeah, they do. And they have every forking right to do it. It is 30°C outside. Oh yeah, and the same coworker once asked me "I don't get why the woman with those huge bellies have to wear those bright colours!" Um, maybe they like them? They should probably wear something in camouflage so that nobody sees them? what the fizzle? And why is being a fat woman such a wrongdoing?
It is so depressing to see all these women hating their bodies and blaming themselves for not looking "perfect", for not having a "great figure", for "not being 20 anymore". Constantly comparing themselves to other women, constantly lacking.(Or comparing themselves to those who are "fatter" and judgeing them.)This is so forked up and so wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24 am 
WELFARIST!

I don't like anyone saying something makes them 'look fat', but I definitely do say that I don't like the way certain clothes make parts of my body look. I don't like the way certain cuts of clothes make my shoulders or upper arms look, so I take them off and try something else. Likewise, I have rather short legs and I think certain hem lengths look super weird on me, but again it's about the clothes and not about my body. It's difficult enough finding clothes that make you feel comfortable and look nice without bringing the shaming aspect into it. It's taken me a long time, but I finally just go, 'Well! These just don't work for me!' when a certain cut of jeans cuts into my hips. No big deal, it's not about me, that item just isn't made for my body. That being said, it only makes it that much harder with irregularities in sizing. I have no idea what size I actually am. At Target the other day, I bought 3 pairs of shorts, and all 3 are a different size. That just makes for more annoying trips to the changing room! (Annoying because I was hot and didn't feel like taking my pants off 20 times.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:21 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
I was debating whether to put this here or in the positivity + feminism thread, but this song (Crooked Smile by J. Cole featuring TLC):

(The song has a few swears but this version is edited - so it's SFW!)

J. Cole is a rapper who is widely known for having crooked teeth, and in this song he raps about how he got really far having physical imperfections. Then he moves into the pressures that are put on women to look perfect. I interpret the song much more as J. Cole acting as a friend to the woman/women he is addressing rather than trying to pick them up - as I have heard in other songs, the one particularly prominent in my mind is that One Direction song - so I really wanted to share this!

EDIT: fork! How did I mess up the embed?

I think it was the https instead of http. Thanks for the recommendation; I'm definitely going to check it out. One of my favorite things about Wilson is his crooked smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My tried and true phrase when something isn't super awesome looking, is "that's not very flattering". I mean, it can be anything that makes something unflattering: a wrong color, a wrong cut, a wrong style, a wrong wash of jeans, wrong seams.. It's all about finding flattering clothes!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

lobsteriffic wrote:
A group of local vegans were trying to put together a team for a Warrior Dash or some other adventure race. Anyway, I asked if I could join and one of the women said no, because I didn't look fit enough and I wouldn't be a good representation of vegan athletes. Uh...I may be larger than some, but I just ran a forking marathon last year, bisque! Anyway, I'm glad that bad attitude came out from the get go so I didn't have to waste my time with people like that.

I just want to say as a slim athlete I can't stand that sort of attitude and it is so freaking rampant. You cannot tell how fit (or healthy or anything) someone is by how big or small they are. I would love to be on your team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:21 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Just recently while shopping, I stepped out in a shirt dress that I hated. I hated the way it made my chest look. A stranger in the dressing room told me how big it made my tits look.For her that was great, for me the opposite. And I told her.
There are loads of ways to say that an item of clothing does not look fabulous on someone with out it being about that someone or their body.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:52 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Arisaig wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
A group of local vegans were trying to put together a team for a Warrior Dash or some other adventure race. Anyway, I asked if I could join and one of the women said no, because I didn't look fit enough and I wouldn't be a good representation of vegan athletes. Uh...I may be larger than some, but I just ran a forking marathon last year, bisque! Anyway, I'm glad that bad attitude came out from the get go so I didn't have to waste my time with people like that.

I just want to say as a slim athlete I can't stand that sort of attitude and it is so freaking rampant. You cannot tell how fit (or healthy or anything) someone is by how big or small they are. I would love to be on your team.

Amen.

I actually have a friend who is a professional cyclist (www.briewalle.com - it's her first year as a pro, and she's doing super awesome - yay!). I hung out with her last night, and we talked a bit about body types and cycling. Cycling specifically has such a strong image of being a sport for super skinny twigs, but particularly on the women's side of things, there are a bunch of really, really strong racers who might not "look fit enough" for some idiot who doesn't know anything about anything. A lot of very successful racers around here were "fat kids" when they were younger and definitely have a stockier build now than most people associate with elite bike racers. It's interesting, since on the flip side, I probably look the part more than most, but I've had trouble being skinny and small and racing. I thought my size would be an asset, and it's actually been kind of an encumbrance most of the time, since I just don't have the mass and power and strength that some of the larger girls do, and they kick my asparagus constantly.

Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Arisaig wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Amen.

I actually have a friend who is a professional cyclist (www.briewalle.com - it's her first year as a pro, and she's doing super awesome - yay!). I hung out with her last night, and we talked a bit about body types and cycling. Cycling specifically has such a strong image of being a sport for super skinny twigs, but particularly on the women's side of things, there are a bunch of really, really strong racers who might not "look fit enough" for some idiot who doesn't know anything about anything. A lot of very successful racers around here were "fat kids" when they were younger and definitely have a stockier build now than most people associate with elite bike racers. It's interesting, since on the flip side, I probably look the part more than most, but I've had trouble being skinny and small and racing. I thought my size would be an asset, and it's actually been kind of an encumbrance most of the time, since I just don't have the mass and power and strength that some of the larger girls do, and they kick my asparagus constantly.

Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Arisaig wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Amen.

I actually have a friend who is a professional cyclist (http://www.briewalle.com - it's her first year as a pro, and she's doing super awesome - yay!). I hung out with her last night, and we talked a bit about body types and cycling. Cycling specifically has such a strong image of being a sport for super skinny twigs, but particularly on the women's side of things, there are a bunch of really, really strong racers who might not "look fit enough" for some idiot who doesn't know anything about anything. A lot of very successful racers around here were "fat kids" when they were younger and definitely have a stockier build now than most people associate with elite bike racers. It's interesting, since on the flip side, I probably look the part more than most, but I've had trouble being skinny and small and racing. I thought my size would be an asset, and it's actually been kind of an encumbrance most of the time, since I just don't have the mass and power and strength that some of the larger girls do, and they kick my asparagus constantly.

All of which is just a long-winded way of saying there's no one right body type for any kind of athletic activity, and those people are jerks, lobsterrific!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:03 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yesterday, my sister was on her bullshiitake (again!!) about how if I shaved my legs and did my hair and wore makeup and wore tight clothes, I would get a boyfriend. Don't I want a boyfriend? Don't I want to feel like I look great?

Homegirl, I would look great wearing a garbage bag and covered in mud. I equally like how my legs feel shaved and hairy, but one of them takes a LOT less effort, so guess which one wins.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Yesterday, my sister was on her bullshiitake (again!!) about how if I shaved my legs and did my hair and wore makeup and wore tight clothes, I would get a boyfriend. Don't I want a boyfriend? Don't I want to feel like I look great?

Homegirl, I would look great wearing a garbage bag and covered in mud. I equally like how my legs feel shaved and hairy, but one of them takes a LOT less effort, so guess which one wins.

+1 Sing it! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:19 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

a few days ago:

My mom: Let me show you these pictures of the wedding we went to.
Me: No, that's okay (weddings usually give me hives)
My mom: No, you have to see them! The bride is just huge!
Me: Who cares?
My mom: But Erika, she's just a glamazon! She's so huge!
Me: [looking at photo of beautiful woman having a fantastic day] She's not huge, she looks fine.
My mom: Oh, but she is! She's at least 6'3" and 250!
Me: But who cares?
My mom: she's just so huge!

OH MY GOD SHUT UP ALREADY.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh man that makes me sad.

I think on your wedding day you should just get to be fabulous no matter what and enjoy feeling gorgeous, and if people are going to judge you, they don't belong at your wedding. Of course the reality is probably very different, which is why we didn't have a big wedding so there is that.

I think brides always look so gorgeous and radiant because most of them are really happy and in love (and the rest are drunk and high on sugar). A friend of mine does wedding photography and I love looking at her work because everyone just looks so happy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just remembered something, from high school. It was the day in gym class that we were all getting weighed. I was pretty nervous about making sure no one heard my weight, because I was 150. I'd never heard of a girl weighing 150. In all the magazines and books and movies and stuff, girls were "fat" at 130, and a "perfect weight" was 100 or 110. One of my friends got weighed before me, and I overheard her weight. It was 180. I was literally stunned. I knew this girl wore the same size clothes as me, so I assumed that she'd be 150, too. I'd internalized so much the idea that I was huge that it seriously hadn't occurred to me that there could be girls who weighed more than I did. Once I stopped to think about it, I realized that, although the two of us wore the same size in terms of waist and hip measurements, she was nearly a foot taller than me. Of course she'd weigh more. But the way that people talked about weight, my own weight was the highest number I'd ever heard for a teenage girl, so I just sort of assumed that that was the highest that a teenage girl could weigh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Larisa wrote:
I just remembered something, from high school. It was the day in gym class that we were all getting weighed. I was pretty nervous about making sure no one heard my weight, because I was 150. I'd never heard of a girl weighing 150. In all the magazines and books and movies and stuff, girls were "fat" at 130, and a "perfect weight" was 100 or 110. One of my friends got weighed before me, and I overheard her weight. It was 180. I was literally stunned. I knew this girl wore the same size clothes as me, so I assumed that she'd be 150, too. I'd internalized so much the idea that I was huge that it seriously hadn't occurred to me that there could be girls who weighed more than I did. Once I stopped to think about it, I realized that, although the two of us wore the same size in terms of waist and hip measurements, she was nearly a foot taller than me. Of course she'd weigh more. But the way that people talked about weight, my own weight was the highest number I'd ever heard for a teenage girl, so I just sort of assumed that that was the highest that a teenage girl could weigh.

Yeah, that's wild, isn't it?? I learned what a "proper" weight was for women in magazines, too. I don't even remember which magazines, which must mean it was in all of them. I felt so terrible about myself in high school because I was somewhere in the 130s (and looking back was underweight. I had very disordered eating issues) and I was dead set that I had to be 120 or lower because all the mags, tv, etc. said that was an appropriate weight. Oh yeah, and my mom was on some idiotic quest to hit 125. FFS, the woman was starving herself to reach an arbitrary number. I don't understand how women, who like everyone else on the planet vary in height, body type, bone size, etc., are all supposed to fit into this narrow range of weights. It totally sucks. Once I got to college and beyond I gained more weight and was again, ashamed that I'd hit 150, until I realized that is closer to the mean for my height and body type than 120. I mean, who cares about a stupid number, but it sucks to feel ashamed and that you're the exception to the rule, when in reality you're the same as everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:31 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I was part of a "health" group until they kept insisting that there is an ideal weight range. I was booted out when I said that ideal weight is not always ideal health and that the range stated would kill me.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

God, gym class weigh ins. I still have nightmares about that. You had to line up and go in front of everybody, and then they would call out your weight so someone else could record it in their book. Then all the kids would laugh about how fat I was and me and my parents were told by the school that this was just a fact of life and I had to learn to get a thicker skin or I would never succeed in life.

Is it any wonder that I am terrified of gyms and physical activity still and that I almost flunked out of high school because I could not pass gym class?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:21 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Geez, they never weighed us in gym. What was the point? Just to torment everyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, that was EXACTLY the point. Then they could tell you, also in front of everyone, how much you needed to lose to be a worthwhile human being.

Obviously, this was back in the 80s. I hear gym class is more civilized these days. Actually, most of my students seem to enjoy gym class, even the shyer students who don't seem overly physically fit (in terms of what was expected when I was in gym classes).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I have no idea what the point was of weighing us, but they were still doing it in 1999. It was done in an office, semi-privately, but you could still hear the weights of the couple of people ahead of you on line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:30 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

we got weighed in elementary school, but it was one-on-one, and they wrote your height and weight down on a little slip of paper for you to take home to your parents. i can't remember whether it was still happening in high school, which makes me think it probably wasn't. in second grade someone saw that the number on my slip started with an 8, and that set off a lot of taunting. i guess all of the other girls weighed sixty-something pounds, and i was chubby, but i was also several inches taller than most of them. i didn't know about height-to-weight ratios, though, because i was seven, so it felt pretty shitty (not that anything would have been helped if i'd tried to reason with them about it). i can't even imagine how bad it would have been to have numbers shouted out in front of a crowd.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:38 am 
Ninja Master

They never weighed us in P.E but they did weigh us once in French, because we were learning how to say about weight and how to describe each other. Which was lovely because there were only 5 of us in my French class and the boy who had to describe me, described me as fat. I do not miss school!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

How stupid! They couldn't have had the students weigh some produce to do the exercise? Or skipped that nonsense altogether?

We didn't get weighed at my schools. I went to a stodgy religious school where I was slut-shamed at age 8 for wearing shorts that rose 2 inches above my knees when forced to kneel! I guess that type of body shaming was more up their alley. My high school didn't weigh us either but I think it's because my class was 1000 students strong and the school was too overwhelmed with preventing gang fights in gym class to spend time weighing us....thanks, I guess?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 64  Next