| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:25 am 
Nailed to the V

That's not okay. A sweater can be boxy. Not a person. Fork whoever said that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 am 
Dead by dawn

I know it's beside the point and that no one should be commenting on your body period, but "boxy" is probably the last word I'd use to describe you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:39 am 
Nailed to the V

Why do people insist on using inanimate objects to describe people? I admit I'm guilty of it sometimes, but when you think about it, nobody is a box or a pear or a spoon. We are humans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

that reminds me of someone that was trying to compliment me recently - I have a very curvy body, like wide hips and small waist and big boobs - and this dude goes "you're shaped like...a woman" and I apparently shocked him by saying loudly "I AM a woman" I just didn't understand what exactly he was going for by telling me I was woman-shaped. If I had been quicker on my feet I would've responded with something like "that's so great to hear, I was born part owl so the transformation is complete"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:49 am 
Married to the wolfman

Fee wrote:
I was born part owl so the transformation is complete

Then you just shout WHOOO WHOOO and peace out

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:38 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Fee wrote:

This just made me spit coffee on the kitchen table. You still got it, lady.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:41 am 
Lime and a Coconut

coldandsleepy wrote:
Fee wrote:

Then you just shout WHOOO WHOOO and peace out

HA! While flapping your arms.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Insightful blog post on being compared to random things and why it's problematic: http://thespanofmyhips.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/apples-pears-bricks-and-other-ways-we-hate-our-bodies/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:38 pm 
Semen Strong

My daughter (2) was naked and waved to a friend of my partner's, through the window of our home (he was outside).

Him: Where's your shirt! You need a shirt! Tell mommy to put a shirt on you! You need a shirt!

Because a 2 year old girl needs to learn to keep her chest covered in her own home. Screw you and screw the patriarchy. My kid can be naked all she wants. Today she wore the most horrible glitter covered, black and pink lace miniskirt that was far too short, but she picked it out herself and was proud of it. Who am I, who is anyone to tell her she can't wear what she wants.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
My daughter (2) was naked and waved to a friend of my partner's, through the window of our home (he was outside).

Him: Where's your shirt! You need a shirt! Tell mommy to put a shirt on you! You need a shirt!

Because a 2 year old girl needs to learn to keep her chest covered in her own home. Screw you and screw the patriarchy. My kid can be naked all she wants. Today she wore the most horrible glitter covered, black and pink lace miniskirt that was far too short, but she picked it out herself and was proud of it. Who am I, who is anyone to tell her she can't wear what she wants.

When M was maybe 14 months old, he was out in our garden wearing nothing but a pink cloth diaper on a seasonably warm day. Someone driving to the park (we live 3 doors down from one) leaned out of their window and shouted "she needs some clothing on!" I found it infuriating. He was a baby! A baaaaby! And I'm sure if he had been in a blue diaper, or a pair of shorts, nobody would have said boo to him because well of course little boys don't wear shirts. Blegh.

I find people's censoring of kid bodies frankly just kinda creepy.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:51 pm 
Semen Strong

coldandsleepy wrote:
I find people's censoring of kid bodies frankly just kinda creepy.

Totally! And its one of those things that you can hardly actually bring up with people without having them defend the person who made the comment. So much privilege.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Definitely creepy. But look at all the crepe Angelina Jolie got/gets over how Shiloh likes to dress. Basically, people are ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

Some guy posted a picture of a super tanned wrinkly older woman with the caption, "Don't forget your sunblock lololol!" (or something similar). I wanted to reply with "Don't forget to body shame!" but lack the enthusiasm to combat any argument.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:19 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

bodysnarking on old people peas me off way more than any other type of bodysnark. It's like goddamn, you have no idea what that person has seen or what they've lived through. Maybe that lady has a saggy belly because she birthed and raised three kids, one of whom is 5 years away from curing cancer, and all of whom love her no matter what her belly looks like. Maybe t

Relatedly, this is why I get crazy when people try to passive-aggressively ask about how my tattoos will look when I'm older. a) too late, I can't take them back now, so it's a moot point and b) they'll look forking old and saggy and wrinkly just like the rest of me will, because I'll be forking old and my body is for living in while I still have life!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:57 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yesterday NatureBoy and I went swimming at the beach. It was super busy because it was super hot, which made swimming awesome. We sat around watching the sunset afterwards, and when it hid behind clouds I got chilled and wanted to change. So I did what I normally do in exposed places (the beach is flat, completely flat and open and at that point, there were still people walking about): I turned my back to the crowd, pulled down the straps of the one piece and put on a shirt, put on my skirt and then took off the rest of the suit and put on my underwear. Pretty much, as covered as can be. He said something like he was amazed at my skills, and I've been thinking about it ever since: He was nice about it, and also covered up when he changed, but it made me think about how ridiculous it is to be out and about in a country where people don't reallllly care about being naked on the beach, and still trying to cover up. Lest someone see my naked self. (In comparison, when I lived in Aarhus and went swimming alone pretty much every day in summer, I never, ever covered up while changing. Did not care at all. Regardless of beach conditions.) what the fizzle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:57 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My friend at work was telling me about how last year she did what's called the "mud run" which is a run of obstacles including jogging through swamps etc, and at one point they are given the option to change, so she just threw her clothes off for the new ones and everyone in the community was shocked and appalled by the fact that she would dare change in the open (during a race!) while everyone else went into porta-potties to stay decent. The community still talks about it! So ridiculously silly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:45 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

vijita wrote:
The community still talks about it! So ridiculously silly.

Completely ridiculous! I'd've totally just changed with your friend. (I mean, come on. Mud! Mud!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeesh - Vijita, that is so dumb!

In long bike races, the women's peloton will have "nature breaks," where the race leader just tells everyone to stop, and we pull over, tear off our shorts/bibs, and squat right there on the side of the road. It's forking hilarious, but also kind of badass - we do races hard and serious enough that we're not forking around waiting in line for port-a-potties.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 am 
Lime and a Coconut

This is so cool! http://www.cardsagainstharassment.com/index.html

I am printing out a variety of cards to have handy next time someone thinks an unsolicited comment on my body is a compliment.

On the other hand, this video she took of someone getting one of her cards is so infuriating.
"women don't like to be treated like that."
"well, I wouldn't argue that." O RLY? THX for your enormously relevant opinion!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:39 am 
And you never will.

Don't you know that men know what women want better than women do? And if we say we want something different, then clearly we are lying, because MEN, amirite?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:02 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I'm reading into the comments on this one because I love this story so much, and apparently the guy in the video is trying to get it taken down! It's appeared on Jezebel and BuzzFeed and he's upset because "he never asked for any of this attention."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

lutin wrote:
Yesterday NatureBoy and I went swimming at the beach. It was super busy because it was super hot, which made swimming awesome. We sat around watching the sunset afterwards, and when it hid behind clouds I got chilled and wanted to change. So I did what I normally do in exposed places (the beach is flat, completely flat and open and at that point, there were still people walking about): I turned my back to the crowd, pulled down the straps of the one piece and put on a shirt, put on my skirt and then took off the rest of the suit and put on my underwear. Pretty much, as covered as can be. He said something like he was amazed at my skills, and I've been thinking about it ever since: He was nice about it, and also covered up when he changed, but it made me think about how ridiculous it is to be out and about in a country where people don't reallllly care about being naked on the beach, and still trying to cover up. Lest someone see my naked self. (In comparison, when I lived in Aarhus and went swimming alone pretty much every day in summer, I never, ever covered up while changing. Did not care at all. Regardless of beach conditions.) what the fizzle.

I was thinking about this at the beach the other day too. Because I struggled for several minutes putting my bra on without exposing my boobs, and then realised I could have just gone without. I've just gotten so used to wearing a bra all the time, I don't even think of the option to cover myself with only one layer of opaque cloth!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:38 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I'm reading into the comments on this one because I love this story so much, and apparently the guy in the video is trying to get it taken down! It's appeared on Jezebel and BuzzFeed and he's upset because "he never asked for any of this attention."

Oh, that is perfect!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the feminist positivity thread, but I opted for this one because abortion clinic protesters are harassing, judging, and attempting to shame women.

Anyway, words cannot express how much this delights me.

http://saturdaychores.tumblr.com/

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next