| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

8ball wrote:
If those stats are true, why have I not seen your sporky face in the Daily Mail???

hahaha, riiiiiiiight??? Where's my fame and fortune? surely this is an accomplishment. I am NUMBER ONE!!! hahahahaha.

I was very happy and not at all bothered about my body today. So suck it, world. I like me fine.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

so Fiona Apple is on tour now, and photos from said tour are being posted fairly regularly on her Facebook page. on every picture, without fail, at least one person (usually more) comments with a variation on the "eat something!" theme, and it's really annoying me. yes, she's noticeably thinner than she was when she last toured 5 years ago, and i believe that some people posting are genuinely worried about her and not just concern-trolling. but a) she doesn't look any thinner than she was when she first became famous in 1997 and the anorexia rumors were flying, and she wasn't even that thin then. and b) her weight doesn't tell you all that much about her health, and it really isn't any of your business anyway. if she, for instance, were to collapse on stage, then i'd be worried about her physical health. but she's touring like a fiend and putting on great shows, so i'm pretty sure there's nothing to be concerned about there.

(i apologize in advance if i said anything objectionable or inappropriate for a body positivity thread.)

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I know this is an old thread, but I want to rant a bit. I'm taking a fitness boot camp class. The people in the class are awesome. We're all grad students and we are super supportive of each other. The problem is the teacher. While we were doing stuff today he was talking about how all of us were out of shape and some people needed treatment.

The teacher makes me feel even more self conscious about my breast size. I'm extremely busty (it's natural, I would give almost anything for breast reduction). I wish the teacher was as supportive about all the body types as the people in the class.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Needed "treatment"? what the fizzle?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:53 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I hate that. I actually stopped taking one of my classes because the teacher was very like that - very concentrated on weight loss and 'working off that Christmas bulge'. I don't want to lose weigh, I want to get fit, is that so hard for these people to understand?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Apparently my posture is bad and I don't move right. I want to be healthy and loose weight, but other people are more positive about it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ugh, yes to annoying fitness teachers. My normal hot yoga teacher was on vacation and her temporary replacement took the zen right out of the practice with the constant focus on "feeling the burn" and "burning those calories" and "slimming those thighs". Actually, I do yoga because I like to be fit and it's good for my brain, but thanks for assuming that everyone works out to lose weight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:10 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought this was wonderful. Written by a woman who lost 180lbs and still feels dissatisfied with her body, because in our culture, you're not allowed to love your body unless you look like an airbrused Victoria Secret advert. http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/l ... 00419.html

Quote:
I felt helpless before. I tried to dodge out of the feeling by getting weight loss surgery, and now I'm angry. That I wasn't fixed, yes. But also that so many people deal with this, this exact and pervasive struggle at whatever size they are, whatever shape, whatever they do. That we're not good enough, with the implication that the best we have to offer to the world is an appropriately sized pair of jeans. Magazine articles about body image talk about loving yourself despite your flaws. Sometimes they get really radical and they talk about loving yourself because of your flaws, and that is supposed to be empowering. And it makes me mad, because we're talking about flaws here. A body that doesn't look like the body of a Victoria's Secret model is a flawed factory reject. My thighs aren't the thighs of a figure skater, so they're not good enough, but I should love the flubby little things anyway because I am so incredibly self-compassionate.

I want this: I want to say, don't love yourself even though you're not perfect - love yourself because you have a body and it's worth loving and it is perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:17 pm 
Impressive boner

Thanks for posting that Tofulish. Her words are very reassuring to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

You know what's my favorite thing about bodies?

How sexy they are.

Just felt like adding my 2¢!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 am 
Flounceiad 2011

smartperson wrote:
Magazine articles about body image talk about loving yourself despite your flaws. Sometimes they get really radical and they talk about loving yourself because of your flaws, and that is supposed to be empowering. And it makes me mad, because we're talking about flaws here. A body that doesn't look like the body of a Victoria's Secret model is a flawed factory reject. My thighs aren't the thighs of a figure skater, so they're not good enough, but I should love the flubby little things anyway because I am so incredibly self-compassionate.
Ugh. This. SO MUCH.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:42 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

People keep calling me fat on my book cover photo on FB. I almost went into a whole thing but then I got exhausted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:45 pm 
Semen Strong

You look freaking gorgeous. I hate people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

what the fizzle?

Jealous haters. You look beautiful. It's such a fun, flattering photo. I said in the cover thread that it immediately made me think of Nigella, and what's better than that?

Idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:19 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Thanks, guys. Funny enough, it doesn't affect me on a personal level. Just on a political one. Oh, wait...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

IsaChandra wrote:
People keep calling me fat on my book cover photo on FB. I almost went into a whole thing but then I got exhausted.

This makes me so damn sad.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

They're twatwaffles. Also, if you were super skinny, they'd totally be whining about how vegans are all emaciated and malnourished. Don't worry about the politics--haters gonna hate!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

That's so mean. Every time your new cover pops up in my feed, I'm in awe of how beautiful and vibrant you look!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Jigglypuff wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Same. I feel like I expect more from vegans. I love the cover. Also, I mean, do they not know anything about you? In VWAV you talked about body shaming a bit and how you were a chubby vegan. I don't understand why weight is so important to people.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Jigglypuff wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Who does that? Did they put that stuff right on your wall? what the fizzle?
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Same. I feel like I expect more from vegans. I love the cover. Also, I mean, do they not know anything about you? In VWAV you talked about body shaming a bit and how you were a chubby vegan. I don't understand why weight is so important to people.
Or why they imagine that other people's bodies are any of their business. Jeebus.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 am 
WRETCHED

I'm so amazed at that because the first time, I also thought of Nigella but after I saw it on FB, all I thought is how cute Isa looked and love the hair cut.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Efcliz wrote:
I hate that. I actually stopped taking one of my classes because the teacher was very like that - very concentrated on weight loss and 'working off that Christmas bulge'. I don't want to lose weigh, I want to get fit, is that so hard for these people to understand?

Fitness instructors and gym coaches can drive me crazy. When I was recovering from anorexia and needed to do some weight bearing exercises to strengthen my bones, I did training with a gym coach. He was all "GIRL! Look at you! You don't need to lose weight!" even after I explicitly stated that my goal was to gain some solidity, and I REALLY didn't need him commenting on my thinness (he also called me too thin). But then he proceeded to put me on cardio which I could barely do and shouldn't have been doing.

I have disliked 90% of the hot yoga teachers I've had, especially the bikram ones. I just think all those comments about sweating off those sweets you ate today or whatever completely nullify the actual purpose of yoga, which is to drop the ego and honour the body. I know many people do do it for weight loss/fitness, and that's totally great, but teachers should be more aware of what they are saying.

PS...Isa, you are beautiful and people are crassholes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:36 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

vijita wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

Fitness instructors and gym coaches can drive me crazy. When I was recovering from anorexia and needed to do some weight bearing exercises to strengthen my bones, I did training with a gym coach. He was all "GIRL! Look at you! You don't need to lose weight!" even after I explicitly stated that my goal was to gain some solidity, and I REALLY didn't need him commenting on my thinness (he also called me too thin). But then he proceeded to put me on cardio which I could barely do and shouldn't have been doing.

I hate when doctors do this, too. I get that weight is related to health. But I don't need to be pressured about my appearance at the doctor. Talk to me about my health, not about how I'll look in a swimsuit or my ability to "catch a husband".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mollyjade wrote:
I hate when doctors do this, too. I get that weight is related to health. But I don't need to be pressured about my appearance at the doctor. Talk to me about my health, not about how I'll look in a swimsuit or my ability to "catch a husband".

Yes! My friend/coworker is overweight, and he saw a doctor last year for a work injury. The doctor made him feel so shitty that he vowed never to go for anything again. The doctor basically concluded that everything in his life would be so much better if he lost weight, even though he was there for a flesh wound and he eats incredibly healthily and makes an effort to get exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:46 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

What size net should one get for this husband catching? I have perhaps been doing this wrong.

Panda With Cookie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 65  Next