| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Awesome! We need many, many more posts like this. Fat-shaming is just another form of othering and oppression. How can you seriously take part in activism against animal oppression and then tell vegans with a different body shape to go away?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Damn, yes. That needs to be said over and over and over. I have felt the "look" before from other vegans when doing vegan-y stuff like work at the farm sanctuary or go to vegfest. Yes, I'm vegan; yes, I'm fat; yes, I'm fabulous; yes, I'm vegan for the animals.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:19 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

paprikapapaya wrote:
yes, I'm fabulous.
Yes, you are!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mihl wrote:
Awesome! We need many, many more posts like this. Fat-shaming is just another form of othering and oppression. How can you seriously take part in activism against animal oppression and then tell vegans with a different body shape to go away?

A-forking-men!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:05 pm 
And you never will.

YES. I'm a fat vegan. I was fat before I was vegan and that didn't change when I changed my lifestyle. I've had so many people assume that I've just gone vegan (probably to lose weight) and act obviously shocked when they find out I've been vegan for over 5 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This was such an annoying thing before I lost weight. People would ask me what I eat since of course all food is meat and dairy and then give me "the look."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yes, totally awesome article! I have lots of friends who are vegan or have been vegan for several years at a time who are all sorts of shapes, including a pretty high number of awesome vegans who are larger. I would say that most of my vegan friends are extremely excited about food, and many (though certainly not all) cook delicious food from scratch way more than the average American, and cooking and sharing elaborate vegan meals with my friends has been an extremely awesome part of my social life and the communities I've been a part of since I was just becoming familiar with veganism. Probably for at least some of my friends, they weigh more than they might otherwise because there is SO MUCH DELICIOUS VEGAN FOOD TO BE EATEN. I think it is utterly ridiculous to think that these folks would be poor ambassadors of veganism.

And more importantly, they're terrific ambassadors of veganism because they are compassionate and all-around awesome people, who are also by and large motivated to advocate for marginalized and oppressed groups of all sorts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A group of local vegans were trying to put together a team for a Warrior Dash or some other adventure race. Anyway, I asked if I could join and one of the women said no, because I didn't look fit enough and I wouldn't be a good representation of vegan athletes. Uh...I may be larger than some, but I just ran a forking marathon last year, bisque! Anyway, I'm glad that bad attitude came out from the get go so I didn't have to waste my time with people like that.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:57 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so rude! I have no words for how rude that is. RUDE.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:39 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

lobsteriffic wrote:
A group of local vegans were trying to put together a team for a Warrior Dash or some other adventure race. Anyway, I asked if I could join and one of the women said no, because I didn't look fit enough and I wouldn't be a good representation of vegan athletes. Uh...I may be larger than some, but I just ran a forking marathon last year, bisque! Anyway, I'm glad that bad attitude came out from the get go so I didn't have to waste my time with people like that.

That is forked. I say you and I find a couple other generously proportioned vegans and do the Warrior Dash next year (assuming this was in Toronto, that is).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:48 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lobsteriffic wrote:

What a crasshole! Seriously, screw her. Also, I don't even get what is a "good representation of vegan athletes". You are like the most athletic person I know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:33 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

lobsteriffic wrote:

whaaaaat. That's awful. Jeez, way for her to further the "vegans are judgemental douchebags" stereotype.

lavawitch wrote:
Then there are the people who tell me I look sick and should go tan or something.

I get concerned people asking me if I feel okay all the time. It always confuses me, and I tell them I feel fine, and they say "are you sure? Your face looks pale." The last time I was in the emergency room, I had the triage nurse tell me that she could tell I was sick, because I looked "so terribly pale and ill." After she left, I looked in the mirror to see if I looked any different, and nope. That's just me. Pale and miserable looking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I can't even with that, lobsteriffic! I'm literally sitting here trying to think of some response, but I can't. That's so infuriating!!

Also, I think you are fierce!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:58 am 
WRETCHED

j-dub wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

That is forked. I say you and I find a couple other generously proportioned vegans and do the Warrior Dash next year (assuming this was in Toronto, that is).

I was just thinking that if someone did that to me, I'd enter on my own with a shirt that said vegan in large letters.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

j-dub wrote:

Yes! Ppk team for Toronto Warrior Dash 2014!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
j-dub wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

I was just thinking that if someone did that to me, I'd enter on my own with a shirt that said vegan in large letters.

Ha! Perfect!

Lobsterific, that is so forked up.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 am 

lobsteriffic wrote:
j-dub wrote:

I'd love to be able to do this, too! I think I'd like the T-shirts to say "This is what a vegan looks like." Because anyone can be vegan!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 am 
Semen Strong

Or a T shirt saying "I get my protein eating my competition for breakfast."

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

lobsteriffic wrote:

Each time I scroll too quickly I think this says "Tomato Warrior Dash," which sounds awesome but maybe messy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:30 am 
Huffs Nooch

I don't even know if this is body shaming or what it is.
Anyway, my mum has been obsessed with me wearing makeup since I was 15 or so. I am 22 now.
She always tells me to put on mascara and get a tan. I've had some major confidence issues and feel very ashamed when I am not wearing make up. Anyway, today we are going sailing with my grandparents and I told my mum that I wouldn't put on makeup so I could get a tan, and then she said: "ok. just a little mascara then?" And I said no. Then she said: "oh, but a bit of mascara won't prevent you from getting a tan"
I don't know.. I am so upset. She doesn't say it to hurt me, and I know she doesn't feel well herself if she isn't wearing mascara. but it really just feeds that little voice of mine, telling me I am not good enough the way I am.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:57 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ugh that's so sad, Shamini. She's totally putting her own insecurities onto you... which is something I feel like every parent always says they are going to try to avoid! Argh! The idea of a parent doing that to their own kid makes me super bummed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:17 am 

Yeah, I think it's a special kind of shaming that happens between parents and their kids. I'm sorry she was making you feel that way, Shamini. You do you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Or a T shirt saying "I get my protein eating my competition for breakfast."

I love this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Shamini, it sounds like your mother is not a great role model when it comes to body issues. If you want to maintain family peace I would smile, nod, and ignore her. But I don't think that kind of appearance shaming has any place coming from parents, and it makes me so sad. I hope I never say anything like that to my daughter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:10 pm 
Naked Under Apron

This article reminded me of this thread.

http://msfitmag.com/all-hail-the-fathletes/

Reply to topic  [ 1233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 50  Next