| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 62  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:06 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3727
Location: Bella Napoli
blondiefk wrote:
This article reminded me of this thread.

http://msfitmag.com/all-hail-the-fathletes/


Woah, I was reading this all "hey I should share this with my friend Sabrina" and then there she was, quoted in the article.

I'm like a celebrity. Who wants my autograph?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:12 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nooch

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:30 am
Posts: 128
Thanks Mars, ndpittman and annak.
Yes, it definitely does stem from her own insecurities. She is always working on her tan and panicked the one time she accidentally left the house w/out mascara on. That happened when I was in 2nd grade, and I still remember how mortified she was.
I tried to not confront her about it, like you suggested as well, annak. But she saw me crying and I could see and hear she felt awful, she apologised several times and told me that she didn't even think it was important if I wear makeup or not. Afterwards she really made an effort to be more sensitive, so at least it ended up being constructive and she was finally made aware that it really gets to me, when she says stuff like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:51 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4292
Location: Toronto, ON
I was at Target today in a change room and I could overhear a conversation between a mom and her daughter in her early teens. The daughter was trying on a bunch of swim suits and the mom would say things like, "no, that one makes your thighs look too big" etc etc. The daughter didn't say much of anything. It made me sad.

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
lobsteriffic wrote:
I was at Target today in a change room and I could overhear a conversation between a mom and her daughter in her early teens. The daughter was trying on a bunch of swim suits and the mom would say things like, "no, that one makes your thighs look too big" etc etc. The daughter didn't say much of anything. It made me sad.

I'm in my 30's and still shop with my mom, and sometimes my dad. My mom's said stuff like that to me before. I remember once she told me a shirt made me look like I had a third boob, and you know what it did. I don't view it as shaming because some clothes really do make your body look like something it isn't. Plus my mom's always told me I had a great body, so I view it as a comment on the clothing and not something negative about me.
We did go bathing suit shopping recently and there was one suit my mom went "Where did your boobs go?" It was true that suit took me from a B cup to totally flat chested.
I don't know the tone of voice or the context you heard that conversation in, so I can't comment on that. But me and my mom say way worse stuff to each other in the dressing room, but we're not shaming each other.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:52 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4292
Location: Toronto, ON
Alaina wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
I was at Target today in a change room and I could overhear a conversation between a mom and her daughter in her early teens. The daughter was trying on a bunch of swim suits and the mom would say things like, "no, that one makes your thighs look too big" etc etc. The daughter didn't say much of anything. It made me sad.

I'm in my 30's and still shop with my mom, and sometimes my dad. My mom's said stuff like that to me before. I remember once she told me a shirt made me look like I had a third boob, and you know what it did. I don't view it as shaming because some clothes really do make your body look like something it isn't. Plus my mom's always told me I had a great body, so I view it as a comment on the clothing and not something negative about me.
We did go bathing suit shopping recently and there was one suit my mom went "Where did your boobs go?" It was true that suit took me from a B cup to totally flat chested.
I don't know the tone of voice or the context you heard that conversation in, so I can't comment on that. But me and my mom say way worse stuff to each other in the dressing room, but we're not shaming each other.


Fair. The mom sounded to me like she was being very critical of the girl's body, and making sure she got the suit that made her look the "thinnest." It wasn't things like "you look like you have a third boob," it was things like "that swim suit makes you look fat." The daughter wasn't joining in on the conversation. It was just the mom saying comments like that, and then the daughter wouldn't say anything and go and change.

That being said, I obviously don't know these people, nor do I know the dynamics of their relationship, so perhaps I was reading too much into it.

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:02 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4041
Location: Austin
Shamini wrote:
Thanks Mars, ndpittman and annak.
Yes, it definitely does stem from her own insecurities. She is always working on her tan and panicked the one time she accidentally left the house w/out mascara on. That happened when I was in 2nd grade, and I still remember how mortified she was.
I tried to not confront her about it, like you suggested as well, annak. But she saw me crying and I could see and hear she felt awful, she apologised several times and told me that she didn't even think it was important if I wear makeup or not. Afterwards she really made an effort to be more sensitive, so at least it ended up being constructive and she was finally made aware that it really gets to me, when she says stuff like that.

I think confronting her is better. My relationship with my mother has really improved since I started enforcing some boundaries, one of which is that critical comments about my weight, hairstyle, body shape, etc are unacceptable. It took a few times of ending conversations with her or leaving the room, but now I can see her catching herself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3672
Location: Smugville, CA
My mom is like this. She's not overly critical of me (aside from me constantly being either overweight or too skinny), but man oh man is she nasty about other people, especially if she thinks they're out of earshot (which sometimes, they aren't, and that's mortifying for everyone involved). I know it is entirely from her own issues and the fact that her parents were wildly critical of her body when she was growing up. But it really drives me up the wall that she'll see some rando person who has nothing to with either of us and make some snarky comment about them. It's just got to be exhausting constantly picking apart other people, wouldn't you think?

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:33 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
lobsteriffic wrote:
Alaina wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
I was at Target today in a change room and I could overhear a conversation between a mom and her daughter in her early teens. The daughter was trying on a bunch of swim suits and the mom would say things like, "no, that one makes your thighs look too big" etc etc. The daughter didn't say much of anything. It made me sad.

I'm in my 30's and still shop with my mom, and sometimes my dad. My mom's said stuff like that to me before. I remember once she told me a shirt made me look like I had a third boob, and you know what it did. I don't view it as shaming because some clothes really do make your body look like something it isn't. Plus my mom's always told me I had a great body, so I view it as a comment on the clothing and not something negative about me.
We did go bathing suit shopping recently and there was one suit my mom went "Where did your boobs go?" It was true that suit took me from a B cup to totally flat chested.
I don't know the tone of voice or the context you heard that conversation in, so I can't comment on that. But me and my mom say way worse stuff to each other in the dressing room, but we're not shaming each other.


Fair. The mom sounded to me like she was being very critical of the girl's body, and making sure she got the suit that made her look the "thinnest." It wasn't things like "you look like you have a third boob," it was things like "that swim suit makes you look fat." The daughter wasn't joining in on the conversation. It was just the mom saying comments like that, and then the daughter wouldn't say anything and go and change.

That being said, I obviously don't know these people, nor do I know the dynamics of their relationship, so perhaps I was reading too much into it.

My mom's told me that some things I've tried on make me look fat before, or chunky. But I think "that suit makes you look fat" doesn't equate to "you are fat". It means get that ill fitting thing off and try on something better. I know with my mom she's just looking out that I buy the clothes that fit me the best, because why buy things that don't make you look nice or fit well?
So I kind of tend to assume that all mom's do that. I could be wrong too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
My mom is like this. She's not overly critical of me (aside from me constantly being either overweight or too skinny)

My mom is like that with me. I've always been on the low side of my healthy weight range, and I think she's spent my whole life worrying I'll become underweight. Which is a legit health concern. Apparently when I was real little it was like 2 lbs less and she's off to the hospital, which left my mom in tears crying about how she tries to feed me but I won't eat. (I refused baby formula as a baby, and apparently most food until I was about 6) Vice versa she was pretty slender when she was younger and has since then gained a substantial amount of weight, and she doesn't want to see it happen to me. Partly because it makes her unhappy, she'd like the body that used to have back, but also because it's starting to take a toll on her health. So if I put on weight she's like "watch it! you don't want to end up needing knee surgery!" But she's always kept it in a concerned about my well being manner and not negative.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:52 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5564
Location: A New England
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
My mom is like this. She's not overly critical of me (aside from me constantly being either overweight or too skinny), but man oh man is she nasty about other people, especially if she thinks they're out of earshot (which sometimes, they aren't, and that's mortifying for everyone involved). I know it is entirely from her own issues and the fact that her parents were wildly critical of her body when she was growing up. But it really drives me up the wall that she'll see some rando person who has nothing to with either of us and make some snarky comment about them. It's just got to be exhausting constantly picking apart other people, wouldn't you think?
My mom could be like that, too; she just couldn't help vocalizing her opinion about everybody she laid eyes on, and it used to really annoy me. Sometimes I'd say something like, "It must be a terrible burden to be perfect in every way," but more often I'd not respond or try to shut her up by changing the subject. It got worse in later years, when she would try to play the "I'm old so I can say whatever I want and everyone has to put up with it" card, but I would always call her on that because she knew I knew better. And even when she didn't say anything critical or judgmental, I could always tell when she was thinking it. GAAAH. As you say, it was all rooted in her own issues, but that doesn't it make it any less irritating or embarrassing when it happens.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5384
Location: BRLA
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
My mom is like this. She's not overly critical of me (aside from me constantly being either overweight or too skinny), but man oh man is she nasty about other people, especially if she thinks they're out of earshot (which sometimes, they aren't, and that's mortifying for everyone involved). I know it is entirely from her own issues and the fact that her parents were wildly critical of her body when she was growing up. But it really drives me up the wall that she'll see some rando person who has nothing to with either of us and make some snarky comment about them. It's just got to be exhausting constantly picking apart other people, wouldn't you think?


This is totally my mom ...and unfortunately most of my family. The worst part is that they're not even realizing that the people within earshot - like me - might be taking it personally when they call Kate Winslet too fat. If Kate Winslet is too fat, then I'm too fat and why wouldn't you tell me to my face then? Why do we have to have this weird conversation over Titanic where I defend her because I'm pretty clearly bigger than her and if you have a problem with her and her size then you must have a problem with me and my size. It would be an easier fight if I didn't have to defend a stranger's body.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:31 pm 
Offline
A gift from the crasshole god.

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am
Posts: 2523
Alaina wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
Alaina wrote:
I'm in my 30's and still shop with my mom, and sometimes my dad. My mom's said stuff like that to me before. I remember once she told me a shirt made me look like I had a third boob, and you know what it did. I don't view it as shaming because some clothes really do make your body look like something it isn't. Plus my mom's always told me I had a great body, so I view it as a comment on the clothing and not something negative about me.
We did go bathing suit shopping recently and there was one suit my mom went "Where did your boobs go?" It was true that suit took me from a B cup to totally flat chested.
I don't know the tone of voice or the context you heard that conversation in, so I can't comment on that. But me and my mom say way worse stuff to each other in the dressing room, but we're not shaming each other.


Fair. The mom sounded to me like she was being very critical of the girl's body, and making sure she got the suit that made her look the "thinnest." It wasn't things like "you look like you have a third boob," it was things like "that swim suit makes you look fat." The daughter wasn't joining in on the conversation. It was just the mom saying comments like that, and then the daughter wouldn't say anything and go and change.

That being said, I obviously don't know these people, nor do I know the dynamics of their relationship, so perhaps I was reading too much into it.

My mom's told me that some things I've tried on make me look fat before, or chunky. But I think "that suit makes you look fat" doesn't equate to "you are fat". It means get that ill fitting thing off and try on something better. I know with my mom she's just looking out that I buy the clothes that fit me the best, because why buy things that don't make you look nice or fit well?
So I kind of tend to assume that all mom's do that. I could be wrong too.


If I try on something and my mum or friend thinks it doesn't suit me or that the item itself isn't nice, they say that. They don't shiitake on my body when the clothes are the problem?

ETA that one of the things that bothers me about this kind of talk (it makes you look too fat/skinny/you're legs look too chunky/boobs look too small) is that it assumes that being fat/skinny/small boobed is undesirable or wrong. That seems like another form of fat/body-shaming to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:37 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 2742
Location: SF Bay area
Agree. Just say the item isn't flattering or is cut strangely. Why bring weird body issues into it? Also, if you say something makes you look fat, makes your thighs look big, etc. you're implying there is something wrong with looking fat or having thick thighs. God forbid some stranger thinks I'm fat because my shirt fits strangely! Don't project your shitty beauty values onto me.

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4292
Location: Toronto, ON
I think that's why it bothered me so much. Because SO WHAT if her thighs look big. Why is that "bad"? (Says the person with awesome thick thighs who was in the change room next door)

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6506
Location: Boston, MA
And I think especially with teen girls it's important to be cognizant of how they may internalize what you say, so it's much better to say that cut is a bit off or the fabric isn't flattering. What I end up saying when I'm out shopping (or even thinking to myself) is this isn't doing anything for me. A lot of times thrown out in a southern drawl, "That ain't doin' nothing for you!" Which is a double negative, but regardless, puts the onus of imperfection on the item and not the person.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:38 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Sarah-Jane wrote:
Alaina wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Fair. The mom sounded to me like she was being very critical of the girl's body, and making sure she got the suit that made her look the "thinnest." It wasn't things like "you look like you have a third boob," it was things like "that swim suit makes you look fat." The daughter wasn't joining in on the conversation. It was just the mom saying comments like that, and then the daughter wouldn't say anything and go and change.

That being said, I obviously don't know these people, nor do I know the dynamics of their relationship, so perhaps I was reading too much into it.

My mom's told me that some things I've tried on make me look fat before, or chunky. But I think "that suit makes you look fat" doesn't equate to "you are fat". It means get that ill fitting thing off and try on something better. I know with my mom she's just looking out that I buy the clothes that fit me the best, because why buy things that don't make you look nice or fit well?
So I kind of tend to assume that all mom's do that. I could be wrong too.


If I try on something and my mum or friend thinks it doesn't suit me or that the item itself isn't nice, they say that. They don't shiitake on my body when the clothes are the problem?

ETA that one of the things that bothers me about this kind of talk (it makes you look too fat/skinny/you're legs look too chunky/boobs look too small) is that it assumes that being fat/skinny/small boobed is undesirable or wrong. That seems like another form of fat/body-shaming to me.

My mom knows how I want to look in clothes, she knows what I like and what I don't like. We have that kind of relationship. She can be candid with me in that way. It's not projecting "my or hers body values" onto other people. It's about my mom knowing exactly how I want to, or not want to look in clothes, and telling me those things candidly. Having no boobs and chunky thighs is fine for other people if that's how they look or want to look, but it is not fine for me because that is not how my body is, and if chunky thighs and no boobs is how something makes me look, than I want my mom to tell me exactly that so I don't buy the thing. When I go shopping with my mom it's about my body values for myself, I want my body to look like my body, and if a shirt makes me look like anything other than the B-cup that I am, I want my mom to tell me exactly that. Our relationship with each other and my personal relationship with my body and her knowledge of it are not something that has to conform to other people's views of how to talk to people about their bodies. We have the kind of relationship where we can say those things to each other without getting all bent out of shape, and we have fun laughing at how one shirt can make me look like I have no boobs and another make it look like they are lopsided.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:03 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3129
Location: BKLN
well, good for you and your mom. when i was 11 and my mom told me i should stop wearing stretch pants because of my thighs, she wasn't saying a really tuned-in thing to me that showed me she understood my taste. she was telling me that i should hide my body because it was no good. when i was 9 and she said, "god, you have stretch marks?" while i was trying on bathing suits, she didn't follow it up with, "they make your body so unique!" she just made a disgusted face. so i guess you're trying to tell us that we shouldn't assume that was the tone lobsteriffic overheard, but i don't get why you seem so unwilling to consider the possibility. it definitely happens, and i wouldn't assume that your situation is the more common one.

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 pm 
Offline
A gift from the crasshole god.

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am
Posts: 2523
couroupita wrote:
Agree. Just say the item isn't flattering or is cut strangely. Why bring weird body issues into it? Also, if you say something makes you look fat, makes your thighs look big, etc. you're implying there is something wrong with looking fat or having thick thighs. God forbid some stranger thinks I'm fat because my shirt fits strangely! Don't project your shitty beauty values onto me.


lobsteriffic wrote:
I think that's why it bothered me so much. Because SO WHAT if her thighs look big. Why is that "bad"? (Says the person with awesome thick thighs who was in the change room next door)


ndpittman wrote:
And I think especially with teen girls it's important to be cognizant of how they may internalize what you say, so it's much better to say that cut is a bit off or the fabric isn't flattering. What I end up saying when I'm out shopping (or even thinking to myself) is this isn't doing anything for me. A lot of times thrown out in a southern drawl, "That ain't doin' nothing for you!" Which is a double negative, but regardless, puts the onus of imperfection on the item and not the person.


Exactly.

Also, maybe shopping is about body values to you and your mum, Alaina, but to me it is about clothing. I don't need to hate on my body in order to clothe it.


Last edited by Sarah-Jane on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 pm 
Offline
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 1234
ndpittman wrote:
but regardless, puts the onus of imperfection on the item and not the person.


Where it rightfully belongs! Thanks for the reminder!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3672
Location: Smugville, CA
The restaurant under my office is closed on Mondays, so a trio of shitbirds has decided the invitation of an empty patio is too good to pass up. They are sitting down there screaming at each other and harassing every woman who walks by. I hate that I don't want to go down to there shut them up because I know they'll harass me, too.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:37 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:36 pm
Posts: 1126
I was debating whether to put this here or in the positivity + feminism thread, but this song (Crooked Smile by J. Cole featuring TLC):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCxaXqwRhvw[/youtube]
(The song has a few swears but this version is edited - so it's SFW!)

J. Cole is a rapper who is widely known for having crooked teeth, and in this song he raps about how he got really far having physical imperfections. Then he moves into the pressures that are put on women to look perfect. I interpret the song much more as J. Cole acting as a friend to the woman/women he is addressing rather than trying to pick them up - as I have heard in other songs, the one particularly prominent in my mind is that One Direction song - so I really wanted to share this!

EDIT: fork! How did I mess up the embed?

_________________
"I will rip out your IV and other roman numerals." - pandacookie
"The one thing I would not do for Aubrey Plaza is harm a baby, by the way." - strawberryrock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:58 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Sarah-Jane wrote:

Also, maybe shopping is about body values to you and your mum, Alaina, but to me it is about clothing. I don't need to hate on my body in order to clothe it.

I actually never said it was about body values, or that it wasn't about the clothing or that I hate my body. I actually said that I want my body, to look like my body, in clothes, and not something else. Because I LIKE MY BODY. A whole lot. It's cute and I like it. But if liking your body is a "value" then I'll be damned proud to say that I LIKE MY BODY. Me and my mom have fun making fun of the clothes, we don't make fun of my body. Yea, we're not PC about it. Life would suck if we were. I don't even know how I could be able to have a close relationship with anyone if I had to avoid words that weren't PC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:17 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3129
Location: BKLN
Alaina wrote:
I actually never said it was about body values


Alaina wrote:
When I go shopping with my mom it's about my body values for myself

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:24 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:36 pm
Posts: 1126
Alaina wrote:
I don't even know how I could be able to have a close relationship with anyone if I had to avoid words that weren't PC.


Really? I seem to manage quite fine. Words that "aren't PC" are hurtful to people, so I find that I am able to have closer relationships based on respect.

_________________
"I will rip out your IV and other roman numerals." - pandacookie
"The one thing I would not do for Aubrey Plaza is harm a baby, by the way." - strawberryrock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:59 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5384
Location: BRLA
Dressing rooms are stressful places and everyone is probably guilty of a little body shaming in them but that doesn't make it right. I love this reminder to put it back on the clothes, not my body or other people's. If your life sucks if you don't say something makes you look fat...I don't know, re-evaluate or something.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 62  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer