| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buy Nothing Day & Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I Googled on "Buy Nothing Day". I guess it is dead as the domain has been sold and taken over by advertisements.

I think "Buy Nothing Day" was originally meant to protest consumerism by "buying nothing" on Black Friday, to send a message.

I would like to see "Buy Nothing Day" given new life, perhaps by having it moved to Thanksgiving ( United States ) itself.

I think it would be easier to buy nothing on Thanksgiving, which would give the day a better chance of success. It would also send a needed message to the retailers continuing the trend of opening on Thanksgiving, forcing their workers to work. It could also capture/increase the momentum of the retailers who are choosing to stay closed.

I plan on doing all of my shopping such that I don't even have to buy gas on Thanksgiving.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Buy Nothing Day & Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:35 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

BND was started by Adbusters, and is alive and well

https://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:44 pm 
WRETCHED

Well American Express sent a think out to get 10% cash back on Black friday for small businesses. I think buying from small businesses seems a better action for black friday. But I think most people conscious of consumerism aren't going to buy stuff on Thanksgiving anyway. Well other than those who go out to movie theaters and chinese restaurants on TG.

Anyway, I make it a general policy not to go into stores, other than grocery stores from TG to christmas. I say let the shoppers shop and let me avoid.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nebraskalaska wrote:
BND was started by Adbusters, and is alive and well

https://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

This domain is dead

buynothingday.org

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
go out to movie theaters and chinese restaurants on TG.

I thought that was a thing non-Christians did on Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:27 pm 
WRETCHED

beforewisdom wrote:
linanil wrote:
go out to movie theaters and chinese restaurants on TG.

I thought that was a thing non-Christians did on Christmas.

I don't know about that but I know since I was a kid my quasi-catholic family would go to the movies on TG day and usually my husband and I go out to eat chinese on TG day but I've known other people to do that as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 am 
Nooch of Earl

Is this the right place to bring up how angry I am that this racist piece of garbage cartoon got published?

http://gawker.com/newspaper-runs-racist ... 1662127425

Way to totally miss the point of the Thanksgiving holiday. And hey, even if immigrants did literally show up at my door hungry, shiitake, it's forking thanksgiving and I usually cook for 20 and feed ~4. C'mon in and have some Field Roast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

annak wrote:
Is this the right place to bring up how angry I am that this racist piece of garbage cartoon got published?

Way to totally miss the point of the Thanksgiving holiday. And hey, even if immigrants did literally show up at my door hungry, shiitake, it's forking thanksgiving and I usually cook for 20 and feed ~4. C'mon in and have some Field Roast.

What the hell?! Just when I think I've seen enough bad cartoons that I can't possibly be shocked anymore, I've proven wrong.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:41 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

annak wrote:
racist cartoon

Whoooaaaaa! The 'cartoons aren't meant to be taken literally' non-apology is no help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Wow! (it looks like every thanksgiving we've had--- stragglers and strangers always welcome).

I was just coming here to bisque about the fact that we don't celebrate Thanskgiving here in Brazil (understandable) but over the last few years now celebrate ("celebrate") Black Friday. Except this year it has grown like a tumor to "Black Week". We really don't need any more consumer crepe. ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

torque wrote:
Wow! (it looks like every thanksgiving we've had--- stragglers and strangers always welcome).

I was just coming here to bisque about the fact that we don't celebrate Thanskgiving here in Brazil (understandable) but over the last few years now celebrate ("celebrate") Black Friday. Except this year it has grown like a tumor to "Black Week". We really don't need any more consumer crepe. ugh.

Yes - Canada has started having "Black Friday" sales - but our Thanksgiving is in October! It doesn't make any sense!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:27 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

annak wrote:

Well, you got more replies than I did. Is it still hijacking the thread if I give you my blessing? :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Back to "Buy Nothing Day", I always felt it was a wonderful idea, but one without much traction or people putting effort into it.

I think to revitalize BND a means of measuring the difference it causes would help, as well as some money ( Adbusters? ) in publicizing it.

I think enough Americans are disturbed by businesses forcing people to work on Thanksgiving, that only a tiny bit of resources would be needed to pump new life into this idea, especially if BND was moved to Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I think part of the point of BND is to actually challenge yourself to buy nothing and look at your own part in consumerism. To buy nothing on a day when most stores are closed and most people are with their families all day doesn't seem like that big of a challenge. I'm sure a lot of people buy nothing on Thanksgiving already. Opting out of the huge, frenzied, dangerous SALE SALE SALE day the next day when everyone is open and most people are off work still, I think that's what everyone who participates in BND is actually a little concerned about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah agreed Fee. Also, there is the fact that Amazon has 'black friday week' all this week and then there is Cyber Monday. It is a lot about looking at your own consumerism. I am definitely entangled in the consumerist society that we have but I try to become better at not buying things, reusing things, looking for other options, etc, etc. It makes it easy for me not to buy things before Christmas because I don't participate in Christmas gift giving and ask others not to buy me gifts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My take on Black Friday is and was: haven't these people heard of the internet? It's a magical place where you can get things delivered to your door without having to wake up at the asparagus crack of dawn and trample your fellow man to death for a cheap tv.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:42 pm 
Nooch of Earl

torque wrote:

I know, right? It's a holiday with -the specific purpose- of saying, hey, thanks for everything I am fortunate to have including an abundance of food, a lot of effort went into making that happen, and I am grateful and generous enough to share my abundance with other people. If we do a "thanksgiving dinner" this year it'll be another weekend since we won't be around, and I'm a little sad that I can't sign up for the "adopt a sailor for thanksgiving" program (I know my turkeyless dinner isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there are a surprising number of veg*ns on base here, and if there's a veggie single sailor who needs a meal s/he would be welcome in my home).

Maybe next year I can invite over some Italian friends and introduce them to the holiday. FWIW, I don't think Black Friday is a thing here, but stores have already decorated for the holidays and the markets started up a couple weekends ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I know from a financial perspective Black Friday sales allow people with less money to buy things they otherwise couldn't afford. I'm uncomfortable with the moral judgement implied in buy nothing day for this reason.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:00 am 
WRETCHED

That is why like Fee said, I think it is more about looking at your own consumerism. Plus I think it is consumerism that can cause people to have less money. It depends. I have an aunt, who saves up for black friday and looks for specific things she wants to buy and creates an attack plan. She is very conscious of how much she spends and what she buys and is overall someone I wouldn't mark as spending money just because it is cheap. She is the kind of person who picks up free stuff on craigslist to fix up and resale and she finds things people would otherwise throw away and then does yard sales a couple times a year to make money from cleaning up/fixing things. She hates clutter, she hates spending money but she may like a tv or a specific toy for her son or something. I think it is the only time of year that she does spend money.

On the other hand, I think that we as a society often find ourselves buying stuff because it is cheap. I don't think there is a moral judgement of 'you must do this' but rather, let's look at ourselves first.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I generally like the idea of buy nothing day, but ultimately it is sort of lame because it is only one day. If you just buy presents on another day, then what's the point? I mean, I never go shopping on black friday (except to buy a christmas tree from an organic farm) but I still buy christmas presents on a different day. I guess as a symbol it is OK since it falls on the single most obscenely consumeristic day of the year, but, I don't know how much effect it really could have on anything. They would need to make the message more about buying less all year.

Now, not shopping on thanksgiving might be more effective for all those poor workers who have to go in. But I see lots of posts on facebook about that already.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have mixed feelings about not buying anything on Thanksgiving. I don't think I feel bad about going out to breakfast, for example. I gladly worked holidays when I was a server - people were much more generous on those days, and working the first shift certainly didn't impact my holiday plans (since I was only available to work because I wasn't traveling to family, of course). Especially in the case of owner-operated restaurants with generally happy staff, I don't really have any issue with it. I have more of an issue with my gym being open till 1pm on Thanksgiving (really, what's the point??), and I wouldn't want to do lthe Chinese food + movies thing on Thanksgiving evening when I expect people are wanting to celebrate (and yes, that is a Christmas tradition, it is somehow maddening when everything is closed on a holiday you don't celebrate, even when you go most days without ever stepping food into a retail establishment, it makes you crave being in a restaurant).

Rather than Buy Nothing Day I'd love to see a Buy Nothing Season or a Buy Nothing New Season. A movement toward handmade holiday gifts, regifting, thrifting, spending time with family trumping deals and gifts, but I am lucky enough not to be entrenched in a gift-giving tradition. I agree with Aubade that it makes no difference when you buy your gifts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:32 am 
Inflexitarian

I am over here in England & all this week I keep getting e-mail offers of discounts from various retailers ... none of them refer to xmas so I think it must be a retail seize in line with 'black Friday' ...

Anne resolutely resisting the fifty quid off offer from Liberty ... sigh