| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: German jumping cow!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_germany_jumping_cow

Quote:
Anne Wiltafsky, who trains cows near the Swiss city of Zurich, said Luna's talents are not particularly surprising and that, historically, it was quite common to ride cows and use them as workhorses.

"Especially younger ones can jump really well," Wiltafsky said in a telephone interview, adding that cows are lovable companions because they're easygoing, have strong nerves and are "unbelievably devoted" to people they like.

It might be a pipe dream to hope that any "oh hey maybe I shouldn't eat cows anymore" revelations come to people who meet or read about Luna, but one can hope. One can also hope that by "she'll stay my darling," the young lady means "I'll take care of her for the rest of her life."

I actually trained a cow too when I was about that age--a soft-hearted older gentleman at a stable where I took riding lessons at the time bought a calf at a livestock auction. He'd gone there looking for a horse and just fell in love with this little cow instead. So my friend and I taught her to halter, lead, jump over little logs, and "shake hands." She was so sweet and loved to be groomed. Cows are immensely underrated as companion animals!

Post subject: Re: German jumping cow!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Aw that's awesome. I had no idea cows could be so... airborne!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't like this. I worry that cows are too large for their tiny legs to support jumping. But I don't agree with riding horses eitherI don't like this. I worry that cows are too large for their tiny legs to support jumping. But I don't agree with riding horses either. I'm one of . I'm one of those vegans.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:18 pm 
Semen Strong

I love the story, because it so clearly shows that cows have individual personalities and are so much more than just identical meat units. And I really love your story equus!

From farm animal sanctuaries I've been to, it seems like cows have been bred to have pretty unstable pelvises and hips, and when they finally go, its often due to issue with their hips. At Farm Sanctuary, you can hear some of the older cattle coming by the loud clanking off their hip-joints.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:18 am 
Tofu Pup

Lovely story equus and yes agree with Tofulish it so clearly shows that cows have individual personalities and are so much more than just identical meat units.