| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prayer Discounts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

One of the few restaurants that has vegan options in my home town is offering discounts to people that pray in public. One less place for me to eat. I wish I could move back to Canada.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... t=20140801

Post subject: Re: Prayer Discounts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:51 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I wonder if they would do that for any prayer. Like if I prayed to Allah, or the Goddess.
I think we know the answer.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:03 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Don't most people pray silently though? Any time I've noticed someone praying before a meal in public they haven't been super showy about it and I didn't know who/what they were praying to.

ETA: I think prayer discounts are weird and my post is not intended to be in any way supportive of them.

Last edited by Nebraskalaska on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:04 pm 
Grandfathered In

No, this promotion makes religion look totally dignified.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:14 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

finnophile wrote:
I wish I could move back to Canada.

Well it seems like you enjoy living in Canada, so I hope you can get back there too, but to be honest, from my 20 years in Canada, I felt a pretty dang strong christian religious mainstream. I actually feel it way more there (and I do not have a religious family) than I do here in Portland.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

"Get your pants back on!"

"BUT I'M PRAYING"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Well hey, the Church of Satan usually has creative ways of getting around these sorts of things. Like the statue of Baphomet to be installed in Oklahoma City, or the new religious exemption from pre-abortion 'counseling' they are offering women in response to the Hobby Lobby ruling. I wonder if they'll come up with a new form of ostentatious prayer.

Oh, that reminds me:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. --Matthew 6:5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:19 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

On the restaurant's Facebook page the owner said it didn't have to even be religious and could just be a moment of meditation or whatever and made a reference to something about chakras. I think it's silly but I'm not offended.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:03 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I went with a friend to pray to the hockey gods. No discount. A couple other ones prayed to different gods and no discount. It makes me kind of sad. I wish the discounts were for doing nice things or something that didn't feel so exclusionary.

A lot of Christians pray to themselves, but the public ones bother me. I've had so much religion forced down my throat in the past week I've become angrier than usual.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I was raised in church, and I don't quite remember the way it was worded, but isn't it supposed to be a sin, or at least frowned upon, to pray in public?

(Especially if it's to get a discount on your food)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:20 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Mars wrote:
finnophile wrote:
I wish I could move back to Canada.

Well it seems like you enjoy living in Canada, so I hope you can get back there too, but to be honest, from my 20 years in Canada, I felt a pretty dang strong christian religious mainstream. I actually feel it way more there (and I do not have a religious family) than I do here in Portland.

I'm surprised to hear you say this! Ontario has a remarkably secular mainstream. Perhaps this is because it is the most culturally diverse and highly populated province, and has one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... _diversity), and so culturally we just go the way of letting everyone have their beliefs and generally not talk about it.

I'm always shocked when I hear about the prevalence of religion/religious debates in the US because that's so outside of what I've ever experienced in Canada. Perhaps in the prairies it's different, but I don't live there. Also, I'm not sure Portland is the best representation of the average American city.

Just my perspective!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hollie wrote:
I was raised in church, and I don't quite remember the way it was worded, but isn't it supposed to be a sin, or at least frowned upon, to pray in public?

Yep. As a Christian I can't see how any pastor would approve of this. Its very Pharisee-like -outward shows of religion aren't really encouraged. But it seems like the crazy religious people skip that bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I guess neither Portland nor Ontario is necessarily the best representation for either country's religious mainstramness.

These prayer discounts would stop me from going, too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I guess neither Portland nor Ontario is necessarily the best representation for either country's religious mainstramness.

These prayer discounts would stop me from going, too.

Well, Portland is a city and Ontario is a large, very populated province that houses the nation's capital.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:03 am 
WRETCHED

I would also say the south-eastern US is more 'open' to such things. They don't call it the bible belt for nothing. If you wanted a more diverse part of the US, you'd need to get out of North Carolina. When we went tubing near Asheville, I was surprised to see a huge asparagus cross of the place where we were tubing but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. As much as I like NC, I couldn't imagine living there myself due to lack of overall diversity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:10 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

A restaurant near my house just posted a sign saying that if you bring in your program/flyer from church you get 10% off your bill. It reminds me of when you go to the movies and they advertise that if you bring your ticket stub to the nearby pizza place you get a free slice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:44 am 
Grandfathered In

vixki wrote:
Yep. As a Christian I can't see how any pastor would approve of this. Its very Pharisee-like -outward shows of religion aren't really encouraged. But it seems like the crazy religious people skip that bit.

I don't know. It seems that many of your co-religionists (not just the crazies) never got that memo.

"How can you find the vegan religious person at the party?" and all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm a Christian and I pray at restaurants. But I don't like this at all. Using one's faith to benefit your pocketbook is lame.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:58 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hollie wrote:

I don't think they're actually aligning themselves with Christianity, though, so it doesn't seem that relevant.

Quote:
This could be prayer or just a moment to breathe & push the busyness of the world away. Who you talk to or meditate on etc. is your business. I have lived in a 3rd world country, there are people starving. We live in a country with an abundance of beautiful food. I NEVER take that for granted. It warms my heart to see people with an attitude of gratitude. Prayer, meditation or just breathing while being grateful opens the heart chakra.

Seems more hippie than bible thumping.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:52 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I wonder how many people are praying for an awkwardly long time to make sure their server sees, or have to find a casual way to bring it up with the server later: "I don't know if you noticed this, but we were praying fervently while you were wrapping silverware."

Also, does this mean servers will get lower tips if customers calculate their tips based on the tab?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vixki wrote:
Hollie wrote:

The justification I've heard is that the particular passage in question -- "when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray ... to be seen by others" -- is more about intent than actual practice. You can still pray publicly, just not if your inward intention is "to be seen by others." And there's quite a bit in the New Testament about not being ashamed of one's faith, so you can't even decline to pray publicly without having to examine your inward intentions either.

So, you know, giant guilt sandwich of "pray in public and be a Pharisee" and "not pray in public and show you're ashamed of Jesus."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

FootFace wrote:

I don't know. It seems that many of your co-religionists (not just the crazies) never got that memo.

"How can you find the vegan religious person at the party?" and all.

Seems that way doesn't it? Although personally I've never seen anyone pray in public (unless in a church counts) I guess it's common in the US?

But just like there's a lot of militant vegans, there's militant Christians, and it doesn't mean we all have to be labelled by them does it?

hoveringdog wrote:

The justification I've heard is that the particular passage in question -- "when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray ... to be seen by others" -- is more about intent than actual practice. You can still pray publicly, just not if your inward intention is "to be seen by others." And there's quite a bit in the New Testament about not being ashamed of one's faith, so you can't even decline to pray publicly without having to examine your inward intentions either.

So, you know, giant guilt sandwich of "pray in public and be a Pharisee" and "not pray in public and show you're ashamed of Jesus."

Who is doing the guilting here? I've never been told "if you don't pray in public you're ashamed of Jesus"...right, if you were going to pray anyway and you didn't because you were worried about other people around, that'd be being ashamed. But praying in order to get a discount on your food is pretty much the definition of that verse.

Anyway I'm not getting into a religious discussion here. Just saying that, of all the churches I've been to - and I have been to some pretty big evangelicals - none of them would say this is a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:54 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've never seen people pray at a restaurant in Quebec either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:02 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Just thinking about it makes me uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i don`t understand how one type of prayer is better than another. did the waitress have a scorecard? did you not mention the blood of the god of hockey, finnophile?? you have to mention the blood.