| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Inuit organize widespread protest over hunger, food cost
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

also, the Inuit have historically lived on much more sustainable lands with milder climates and higher animal populations. the ones that have survived have been pushed further and further north, because European colonialists (ie my ancestors) wanted the good land. so i'm sure, after all that history, the white canadians who shoved the Inuit out of the way will be SUPER happy and willing to move back to France and England and fricking Hungary or wherever, so that all the First Nations can live somewhere more hospitable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

pandacookie wrote:
littlebird wrote:
ignoring the idiots (idiot) in this thread will probably be more productive.

I haven't had so much fun in a thread in I don't know when.

yeah, i'm not even following my own advice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Moving them is a great idea!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:02 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Maybe there are enough birds to carry everyone out of Canada.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:04 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

And maybe littlebird is really the Big Bird Leader and has suggested this mass movement to get some work for all her friends. There is a conspiracy afoot!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:04 am 
Flounceiad 2011

littlebird wrote:
we're having an interesting conversation on this topic in another forum i'm on. someone linked this blog. it shows just what the prices are for mainstream north american foods.
That is completely shocking. How can anyone afford to buy food at those prices?
pandacookie wrote:
As long as they don't carry 'em down here to sponge off all of our free...oh, wait. Never mind.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Desdemona on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am 
WELFARIST!

You could always throw blankets of smallpox on them so you don't have to deal with this in the future! Maybe that's a bit harsh, though?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:

There are plenty of empty condos in Florida. There are also lots of Canadians. Maybe they could all move down here. I can send the wild quaker parrots in my local park to pick them up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:08 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Mr. Shankly wrote:
You could always throw blankets of smallpox on them so you don't have to deal with this in the future! Maybe that's a bit harsh, though?
It's worked in the past; in fact, you could even say it's a time-honoured European tradition!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know what the problem is. There is plenty of infrastructure and government support ...oh, right. Stupid facts. Let's blame the English!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 am 
WRETCHED

I was wondering how grocery stores could even charge those prices and be successful but that makes sense that transplanted workers get huge subsidies, which leaves the workers as the only ones that can afford the prices.

The cooking article mentioned that there are fewer hunters, is the reasoning that local industries are hiring the local community yet not paying them enough?

What would happen to those industries if the people were moved on some magical flying bird? Would those industries die? Are those industries exploiting the local resources? Are they supporting the rest of canada? If so, wouldn't it make sense to make sure that the local community is also subsidized?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:20 am 
WRETCHED

littlebird wrote:
also, the Inuit have historically lived on much more sustainable lands with milder climates and higher animal populations. the ones that have survived have been pushed further and further north, because European colonialists (ie my ancestors) wanted the good land. so i'm sure, after all that history, the white canadians who shoved the Inuit out of the way will be SUPER happy and willing to move back to France and England and fricking Hungary or wherever, so that all the First Nations can live somewhere more hospitable.

So moving them IS an option. Move them, move the people that are in the current locations, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

linanil wrote:
littlebird wrote:

So moving them IS an option. Move them, move the people that are in the current locations, etc.

yes, in fact, i am buying my plane ticket to France right now. not that they'll let me in, since i'm not a french citizen. maybe if i show them that ship passage document from my great great great grandfather? of course, he was a religious heretic and probably would have been hanged or something, so really, i shouldn't even exist.

realistically, the only option is to slit my wrists and hope a member of a displaced first nations wants my montreal apartment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
I was wondering how grocery stores could even charge those prices and be successful but that makes sense that transplanted workers get huge subsidies, which leaves the workers as the only ones that can afford the prices.

The cooking article mentioned that there are fewer hunters, is the reasoning that local industries are hiring the local community yet not paying them enough?

What would happen to those industries if the people were moved on some magical flying bird? Would those industries die? Are those industries exploiting the local resources? Are they supporting the rest of canada? If so, wouldn't it make sense to make sure that the local community is also subsidized?

From what I read, hunting is a costly thing these days. You have to take a day off work in addtion to paying the costs of hunting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 am 
WRETCHED

littlebird wrote:
linanil wrote:
littlebird wrote:

yes, in fact, i am buying my plane ticket to France right now. not that they'll let me in, since i'm not a french citizen. maybe if i show them that ship passage document from my great great great grandfather? of course, he was a religious heretic and probably would have been hanged or something, so really, i shouldn't even exist.

realistically, the only option is to slit my wrists and hope a member of a displaced first nations wants my montreal apartment.

Well be sure to tell those pesky French to go back to where they came from.

I think the moral of the story is we are all moving to Africa, pack your bags.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

littlebird wrote:

While I fully disagree with everything Jinkies has said in this thread, we still need to stick to the no name calling rule. Let's help to inform him/her of why their solution isn't the right one and if that doesn't work, you're right, ignoring is the best bet.

/moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Man, the righteous outrage against the straw man you folks have created is hilarious. This place is always such an amazing example of thinking with your heart, not with your head. Veganism does tend to attract the mindless touchy-feely folks more than the logical and rational, though. Have fun with your Kumbayas and hand holding spirituals. I'm sure everything will work out just fine in your magical Eden of the north.

And Jordan, I was actually not aware that they were people. I thought we were talking about pretty shoes, or possibly small aquatic bats. Seriously, though, I do feel a little dumber after after reading any of your posts. Thanks for Billy Madisoning me every single goddamn time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

You're still here?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 am 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
littlebird wrote:

While I fully disagree with everything Jinkies has said in this thread, we still need to stick to the no name calling rule. Let's help to inform him/her of why their solution isn't the right one and if that doesn't work, you're right, ignoring is the best bet.

/moderator

You're familiar with this place, ijdi. Nobody will ever offer an argument as to why I'm wrong. It'll just be a lot of childish mockery and name calling, since I am The Enemy. It never changes. This place is the worst I've ever seen online for that, and I'm counting Youtube and Stormfront.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 am 
WELFARIST!

Jinkies! wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
littlebird wrote:

/moderator

You're familiar with this place, ijdi. Nobody will ever offer an argument as to why I'm wrong. It'll just be a lot of childish mockery and name calling, since I am The Enemy. It never changes. This place is the worst I've ever seen online for that, and I'm counting Youtube and Stormfront.

Then leave? Why would you post on a forum that you don't like?

And many people have provided you with information as to why you're wrong; you've just been ignoring everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:16 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Explanation=mockery; frustration at racism=Stormfront?

Tell another one!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 am 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Then leave? Why would you post on a forum that you don't like?

And many people have provided you with information as to why you're wrong; you've just been ignoring everything.

The forum is fine when the prayer circles aren't formed. Are you actually defending the catty behavior and childish mockery of everyone here?

As for information as to why I'm wrong, I must have missed it. I've certainly read every post, but mostly it was the standard ladies completely misrepresenting what I've said and mocking that straw man. I'm used to that here. I do love when I'm proven wrong, though, since it gives me a chance to learn more and correct my misconceptions. If you can explain why the words I said upthread (the words I actually said, specifically, not some forking straw man) are wrong, I honestly would be glad to hear that explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:23 am 

j-dub wrote:
Explanation=mockery;

I think you may have some blinders on if you're not seeing the mockery here.

Quote:
frustration at racism=Stormfront?

I honestly don't get why you have this here. Do you think I'm comparing the views here to the views of people on Stormfront? If so, please work on your critical thinking skillz.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:27 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

littlebird wrote:

Quoted for truth.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:29 am 
rowdily playing checkers

No, Jinkies is right. I am mocking him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next