| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You say "bacon," I say "lake of shiitake"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet..but yuuuck. I thought the video was worth watching, if gross.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/01/0 ... l=facebook

Quote:
Filmmaker Mark Devries has been secretly videotaping pig "farms" for the past few years, using a drone. The results are horrifying.

Quote:
You're looking at a lake of toxic feces and urine the size of four football fields. That's because thousands upon thousands of pigs are inside these buildings. Their waste falls through slats in a concrete floor ad sloshed directly into this giant open air cess pool.

Post subject: Re: You say "bacon," I say "lake of shiitake"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I always wondered how foods like spinach got E coli, a bacteria from animal intestines. Well here's your answer. They literally spray animal shiitake onto the fields. Gross and criminal aren't near foul enough words for this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Gross!

Quote:
The video goes into how these farms get rid of this waste. They get rid of it by "spraying." Pumping it into a fine mist, into the sky. This can travel into neighboring areas. It's horrendous. But don't worry, those areas are poor and frequently inhabited by people of color so there's nothing to see here.

Thanks for sharing annak!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:14 pm 
Grandfathered In

So I guess you just want us all to be overrun with pigs!

The pig farmers' hands are tied!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:16 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Tigon wrote:
I always wondered how foods like spinach got E coli, a bacteria from animal intestines. Well here's your answer. They literally spray animal shiitake onto the fields. Gross and criminal aren't near foul enough words for this.

I know at least one of those instances they traced the e coli to the deer that were getting into those fields. So, sometimes it is more "natural."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I remember these when I lived in NC. Sometimes the "levees" would give and well as they say shiitake rolls down hill and right into the nearest river it goes. Next thing you know you are hearing about some big fish kill on the news.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

lycophyte wrote:
I know at least one of those instances they traced the e coli to the deer that were getting into those fields. So, sometimes it is more "natural."
I guess I figured something like that would only infect the tiny area they pooped in. Is that enough to get people sick all over the country?

I guess it depends on how they harvest it. Or maybe those deer got it from these shiitake spray farms. I'm glad all the companies seem to triple wash greens now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Geeeeeez.

We used to drive past a dairy farm; the stench was ungodly for miles around, and that farm wasn't half the size of this one. What a nightmare.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:58 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Tigon wrote:
lycophyte wrote:
I guess I figured something like that would only infect the tiny area they pooped in. Is that enough to get people sick all over the country?

I guess it depends on how they harvest it. Or maybe those deer got it from these shiitake spray farms. I'm glad all the companies seem to triple wash greens now.

Yeah, maybe the deer got it from the livestock, r maybe they just wanted to blame the deer because it would sound worse if they had to blame the livestock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Didn't everyone go skipping stones on the shiitake pond as kids? No? Okay, just me then.

I remember, where I grew up in Southern California, when the housing developers were buying out the dairies in the mid 2000s,some dairymen just bulldozed whatever dike was holding back the flood, and the streets ran brown with the shiitake of a thousand cows. True fact.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes! That is horrible! How did they clean up the area so it wasn't all cowshitty?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:20 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Was the dike bulldozed as a protest at the buy out, or by mistake when developing? Either way, ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Neither as far as I know. The rumor I heard was that it was cheaper than having the ponds drained properly in order to prepare the land for sale. No one was protesting, just glad to cash in on their investment: the land was in the boonies when the agricultural preserve was formed, but now it was prime real estate for commuters into LA and Orange County. The whole manure situation generally had been a big problem for years, especially when we'd have big rainstorms (see this and this article from 1998, for example). You got used to all the manure, though. It was only when people from out of town would visit that you were suddenly self-conscious of the smell and the flies.

I just remembered the time I accidentally drove my brand new car into a shiitake pond and I thought the whole thing was going to sink into the poop. We had to pull it out with a tractor, but the engine compartment was flooded with manure and I never quite got rid of the smell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:47 am 
WRETCHED

I was wondering what they did with this Hollandia dairy farm. It used to stink so bad when you drove past but one day it disappeared. The farm is right near a river. It wasn't really prime real estate (I think it is an avocado farm now).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 pm 
<3

I'm not going to click on the link. People want their bacon, meat and dairy. They think of nothing but the packaged end product they pick up at the store and that's just the way those industries want it. I'll guess that people in general don't often think of how their items got to where they are to be purchased.

Sickeningly it's not going to end soon. Even with the increase of non diary consumption. I'll say the community that wants to identify as vegan can do a little clean up on their own if they want to attract people who will no longer consume these items and add to the pollution and suffering.