| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon May 25, 2015 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WWPPKD? Talking to Omnis about Whole Foods Rabbit meat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:53 pm 
Semen Strong

I know I'm not alone in not knowing exactly how to respond when omnis are really outraged about a particular species of animal ending up being eaten (horses, dog, cat, and here rabbits). So I really would love to hear how others have this conversation.

As background, Whole Foods is selling rabbit meat and groups are raising awareness about the cruelty involved in how the animals are raised and slaughtered. I've been focusing on how troubling it is that Whole Foods is silencing dissent and did a "citizen's arrest" to remove a vegan leaf-letter who was part of a legal protest, but I would like to gently point out the cognitive disconnect between being horrified at a rabbit being eaten, because they are intelligent and sweet animals, while someone still eats pigs, cows and chickens that all do many of the same cute things.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... ry_index=0
http://www.rabbitadvocacynetwork.org/

On the one hand, its great that our omni friends are upset and want to boycott a store that supports problematic animal practices, but on the other hand, I don't want to miss an opportunity to raise awareness. I am a complete believer in using wedge issues like fur, foie gras and eating rabbits (that most people think are troubling) to raise outrage and awareness in others who aren't vegan, in the hopes that it will both lead to better conditions for the smaller issue and broader realizations with respect to all the animal abuse that is rampant in our system. But I also get worried that if I point out hypocrisy too broadly, the person who is upset about rabbits getting eaten, might decide that they'd rather tolerate that than stop eating meat.

Key details:
Quote:
There are MANY reasons we/you should fight against the sale of rabbit flesh at Whole Foods:
- They spent 4 years coming up with standards for farming rabbits and ended up sourcing them from an Ag Gag state and from a Marketing/Processing/Distribution animal-killing conglomerate.
- The slaughterhouse inspection report shows cruelty and points to neglect.
- Whole Foods has stopped responding to customer feedback asking them not to add a new species to their meat counter. They have blocked customers from social media, erased comments talking about the bunny meat, and had a vegan activist arrested who was peacefully leafleting.
- Whole Foods spent $20 million on an ad campaign that included a poster of a woman holding a chicken with a caption that reads: "Know the kind of life your dinner lived." I do know the kind of life farmed animals live and it's a cruel one.
- Whole Foods claims they don't allow testing on animals for their personal care products, but they butcher the same breed of rabbit for their meat department. The hypocrisy is glaring.
- Too many animals die for the benefit of this multi-billion dollar company. Why on earth do they need to add one more species to their meat case? If a company like Whole Foods sanctions the slaughter of bunnies, then it will create a dangerous trend and millions more animals will be killed.

"Citizens arrest" of the vegan activist: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=6590&catId=1

Post subject: Re: WWPPKD? Talking to Omnis about Whole Foods Rabbit meat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't really know how to handle this situation either. I'm bummed that WF is selling rabbit meat and I know they're into sustainability so is rabbit more sustainable than beef or chicken? I can't really get too upset about it, since as you said, it's all kind of the same. I think rabbit is categorized as poultry right? Which means they are excluded from certain protections that other food animals have (not that protection is that great anyway). I think that would be my greatest concern, and the method of slaughter.

I definitely had this conversation with someone last year or whenever it was that people were freaking out about horse meat in Europe. My friend who is very pro-meat (and sees it as a macho thing...gag) was trying to relate to me the vegan by saying how horrible it is to eat horses. I just very neutrally asked why it was different than any other animal and that launched a discussion about how we humanize certain animals deemed not-food and ignore others. It didn't stop him from eating meat but I think it gave him something to think about. I don't know if I helped or hurt the situation...probably had no impact at all, really!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:06 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I just say "If you're alright with some you have to be alright with eating them all" and leave it at that, usually.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm 
WRETCHED

I agree in saying it isn't different from any other kind of meat.

I've also seen rabbit once in a while in various groceries stores (when I ate meat, I remember seeing it). So I guess I wouldn't assume it is that unusual.

Plus, where are these omnis going to shop instead, Safeway? I mean I think WF has issues in their glorification of animal products in general but unless the omnis are going to stop eating meat entirely, they are going to still be contributing to the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't think people are stupid. They must know in their heart of hearts that if they oppose killing an animal they find cute/they feel is killed in a problematic manner then they should take the next logical step. I think explicitly pointing out their cognitive dissonance is more likely to raise hackles than do good, but just keep representing as the awesome vegan that you are, and if they have any questions they will know where to find you.

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:12 pm 
Semen Strong

couroupita wrote:
I think rabbit is categorized as poultry right? Which means they are excluded from certain protections that other food animals have (not that protection is that great anyway). I think that would be my greatest concern, and the method of slaughter.

Ugh. I hadn't realized that their classification as poultry exempted them from the Humane Methods Standards Act. Not that the HMSA does much for animals anyway, really, as the law lacks a general enforcement provision.
http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/con ... _meat.html

I am particularly annoyed by WF for talking about how great they are to avoid products that use animal testing and then slaughter the bunnies for eating. And weren't they run by a vegan? If so, shouldn't we be going towards less animals on the butcherblock rather than more? Plus all their horrible, cringeworthy claims of being humane, which I think they think just means expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:27 pm 
Grandfathered In

"I agree. It's really troubling that animals are raised as food and then slaughtered. I don't like to participate in that, either."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:35 pm 
Semen Strong

I guess its great that people are starting to pay attention to the issue.

Today a friend of mine posted about how horrible it was that sheep are mistreated when being sheared (its a Peta2 video). I was at his wedding. They served lamb. So hopefully things are shifting for him.

I did a variation on FF's comment - made it about me, and my efforts to shift from supporting animal cruelty to buying products that are synthetic and create a demand for cruelty free products. Its going to be my "elevator speech" for FB. Thank you FF!!

" I agree. It's really troubling that animals are raised as a commodity and treated so cruelly. We are so much more like them than we are different. I choose not to participate in animal exploitation, in the hopes that a shift in consumer demand will change behavior in the industry."