I know I'm not alone in not knowing exactly how to respond when omnis are really outraged about a particular species of animal ending up being eaten (horses, dog, cat, and here rabbits). So I really would love to hear how others have this conversation.
As background, Whole Foods is selling rabbit meat and groups are raising awareness about the cruelty involved in how the animals are raised and slaughtered. I've been focusing on how troubling it is that Whole Foods is silencing dissent and did a "citizen's arrest" to remove a vegan leaf-letter who was part of a legal protest, but I would like to gently point out the cognitive disconnect between being horrified at a rabbit being eaten, because they are intelligent and sweet animals, while someone still eats pigs, cows and chickens that all do many of the same cute things. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... ry_index=0http://www.rabbitadvocacynetwork.org/
On the one hand, its great that our omni friends are upset and want to boycott a store that supports problematic animal practices, but on the other hand, I don't want to miss an opportunity to raise awareness. I am a complete believer in using wedge issues like fur, foie gras and eating rabbits (that most people think are troubling) to raise outrage and awareness in others who aren't vegan, in the hopes that it will both lead to better conditions for the smaller issue and broader realizations with respect to all the animal abuse that is rampant in our system. But I also get worried that if I point out hypocrisy too broadly, the person who is upset about rabbits getting eaten, might decide that they'd rather tolerate that than stop eating meat.
There are MANY reasons we/you should fight against the sale of rabbit flesh at Whole Foods:
- They spent 4 years coming up with standards for farming rabbits and ended up sourcing them from an Ag Gag state and from a Marketing/Processing/Distribution animal-killing conglomerate.
- The slaughterhouse inspection report shows cruelty and points to neglect.
- Whole Foods has stopped responding to customer feedback asking them not to add a new species to their meat counter. They have blocked customers from social media, erased comments talking about the bunny meat, and had a vegan activist arrested who was peacefully leafleting.
- Whole Foods spent $20 million on an ad campaign that included a poster of a woman holding a chicken with a caption that reads: "Know the kind of life your dinner lived." I do know the kind of life farmed animals live and it's a cruel one.
- Whole Foods claims they don't allow testing on animals for their personal care products, but they butcher the same breed of rabbit for their meat department. The hypocrisy is glaring.
- Too many animals die for the benefit of this multi-billion dollar company. Why on earth do they need to add one more species to their meat case? If a company like Whole Foods sanctions the slaughter of bunnies, then it will create a dangerous trend and millions more animals will be killed.
"Citizens arrest" of the vegan activist: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=6590&catId=1