| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:14 am 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7120
Location: bindlestiff
Haven't looked into it yet but we have a lot of happy radio jingles about it. I have no health insurance and haven't for years and have been in no hurry to sign on up until it doesn't crash when I go to the site.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:24 am 
Offline
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3057
Location: Sacramento
I'm soon to be uninsured (in 3 days!), and I have been looking at the ACA plans, but they generally look expensive and not fabulous, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:23 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm
Posts: 1130
Location: Knoxville, TN
I was able to log in and sign up. I qualify for a subsidy and a platinum plan (that's the best they offer) from Blue Cross Blue Shield will wind up costing me $125/month (after the subsidy). The plan has no deductible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2991
I tried to sign up but then I remembered that I love America.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:42 pm 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7120
Location: bindlestiff
I thought the prices looked pretty reasonable, but haven't been able to look overly much.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:42 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm
Posts: 1130
Location: Knoxville, TN
If you want to look at prices without logging in (and without the subsidy information), someone showed me this site: http://stevemorse.org/obamacare/obamacare.html
It appears to be accurate, as the price it showed for the plan I picked was correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:49 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8474
Location: Maryland/DC area
I was trying to see if I could get a quote on the cost of health insurance but the Maryland system is down. Last time I looked (a couple years ago), the premium was something like $2500/month. The website is also kind of confusing and only seems to be for low income? I figured it'd be for everyone to sign up for insurance.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:24 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:20 pm
Posts: 1
I disagree because the government is overloaded with bureaucracy. I don't agree with spending and wasting of the tax payers money, while people are starving and dying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:22 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm
Posts: 321
Location: Jungles of America
manuel10878501 wrote:
I disagree because the government is overloaded with bureaucracy. I don't agree with spending and wasting of the tax payers money, while people are starving and dying.

You disagree with Obamacare because taxpayer money should be spent on people who are dying? Obamacare saves lives. It'll save many lives through both prevention (people going to the doctor that wouldn't go without health insurance to find out they have a life-threatening, but treatable condition) and through treatment for people who couldn't otherwise get healthcare. That includes one of my friends who has a pre-existing condition and hasn't been able to get treatment until this law. The law is literally saving his life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 4424
Location: fjordfjord
I liked this: 3 20-somethings re-wrote the gov't website into HealthSherpa.gov, making it more user-friendly: http://www.theeverlastinggopstoppers.co ... ays-video/

_________________
ॐ लोकः समासतः सुखिनो भवन्तु
http://www.embracingtheworld.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 am 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3480
Location: Smugville, CA
manuel10878501 wrote:
I disagree because the government is overloaded with bureaucracy. I don't agree with spending and wasting of the tax payers money, while people are starving and dying.


I agree absolutely. Let's shut down the military.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 am 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3480
Location: Smugville, CA
I'm sorry, it's just too delicious not to comment on twice. There are people out there who are upset about the ACA because it diverts money from important things, like… people who are dying.

Dying of what? Could perhaps… a doctor bring them back from the brink?

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:41 am 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2991
I'm pretty sure manuel10878501 is a spammer.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 am 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3480
Location: Smugville, CA
Wait, a what now?

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:26 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 pm
Posts: 2511
I'm pretty sure he just shares the popular Republican opinion that the money spent on the ACA should instead be diverted to SNAP and food banks.

_________________
"No one with hair so soft and glossy could ever be bad at anything." - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2991
Like, pretty sure.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 322
Location: Austin, TX
Yeah. He probably found the topic with something that automatically checks lots of places for any conversation on the ACA and isn't a human being.

_________________
"Goliath is just too powerful for me in this state! QUICKLY! Blow me up Alterboy!" The Adventures of Catholic Priest Man and his Sidekick Alterboy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3710
Someone please explain how the ACA means that my workplace-arranged health care premiums are going up, my out of pocket limit is going up, and yet my older coworker's premiums are going down (by 15%!). Just curious. Up till now I've have a pretty sweet health care deal. For the price of what my premiums for sucky insurance used to be, I pay premiums and fund a $5000 HSA which covers tons of stuff that isn't covered by insurance (like dental work and out-of-network anything). I am very nervous about winding up with a crappier plan and having to spend more money on it. This is not how this is supposed to go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: MA
I can't explain it, but I had to switch to a crappier plan to avoid my premium going up by $20 a week. (It's already much too expensive). We've had our own version of this in MA for a few years, so I'm not sure what's going on. I also don't know how I can be in that perfect sweet spot of getting a bad deal from my employer, but not qualifying for any cheaper plans.

So basically I understand nothing. Glad I could help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:02 am 
Offline
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3057
Location: Sacramento
I work for a very small company (15 employees) and our boss claims his portion of our plan was set to increase 60% with the ACA going into effect. The way it was set up before, he was paying 50% of the total premium, but under the new rule, he said he would not have been allowed to pass any portion of the increase onto us. So he chose to eliminate the plan entirely rather than absorb that cost, and now we are all out of luck. Our salaries were not increased to make up for the 50% he used to pay, so we all just essentially took a pay cut and he is pocketing that money.

The dude is a lying scumbag and I wouldn't doubt if he was totally full of shiitake about how much the premium was going to go up. I don't really have any idea. But my 50% portion of our plan used to be $250/month, including dental and vision. For that cost, the ACA plans do not compare. I got screwed and I'm pissed off about it, but I don't blame the ACA. I blame my shithead boss for not having his priorities in line. (For context, he spends $2000/month on a private club membership and $3000/month just on fancy restaurant lunches and booze. Those things he can still afford, naturally!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 am 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: MA
Ashley, does he have to pay a penalty now for not offering you insurance? My boss told us they only offer us plans because the cost of paying the penalty would be higher.

He contributes 40% for a single plan, and 33% for a family plan (which leaves my coworker paying over $1,000 a month for her and her husband, and she probably makes $15/hour). He's also doing VERY well, so I am similarly a little bitter about our health care deal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:32 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3972
Location: Austin
Amy wrote:
Ashley, does he have to pay a penalty now for not offering you insurance? My boss told us they only offer us plans because the cost of paying the penalty would be higher.

He contributes 40% for a single plan, and 33% for a family plan (which leaves my coworker paying over $1,000 a month for her and her husband, and she probably makes $15/hour). He's also doing VERY well, so I am similarly a little bitter about our health care deal.

Your coworker might be able to get insurance on the exchange if her household make less than 400% of the federal poverty limit and insurance costs more than 9.5% of her take home pay.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:33 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: MA
mollyjade wrote:
Your coworker might be able to get insurance on the exchange if her household make less than 400% of the federal poverty limit and insurance costs more than 9.5% of her take home pay.

We've talked about it, but she doesn't want to change! Actually I qualify under those criteria too, but it took me a good hour to create an account on the MA exchange page and to get the freaking thing to let me log out, so I haven't braved it since. It was really, really, really frustrating (starting with the fact that there were TWO different legitimate sites for MA, for seemingly the same thing but with different logos and layouts and everything- why?!). It's like they're going out of their way to overcomplicate it. Anyway, I should just call.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm
Posts: 1130
Location: Knoxville, TN
Amy wrote:
Ashley, does he have to pay a penalty now for not offering you insurance? My boss told us they only offer us plans because the cost of paying the penalty would be higher.


It sounds like Ashley's employer is exempt from a penalty because they have less than 50 full-time equivalent employees.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:51 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: MA
Tzippy wrote:
Amy wrote:
Ashley, does he have to pay a penalty now for not offering you insurance? My boss told us they only offer us plans because the cost of paying the penalty would be higher.


It sounds like Ashley's employer is exempt from a penalty because they have less than 50 full-time equivalent employees.

Ah, I see. In MA any company with 11 or more full-time employees has to offer a plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: monkeytoes and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer