| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Obamacare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:14 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Haven't looked into it yet but we have a lot of happy radio jingles about it. I have no health insurance and haven't for years and have been in no hurry to sign on up until it doesn't crash when I go to the site.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:24 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm soon to be uninsured (in 3 days!), and I have been looking at the ACA plans, but they generally look expensive and not fabulous, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I was able to log in and sign up. I qualify for a subsidy and a platinum plan (that's the best they offer) from Blue Cross Blue Shield will wind up costing me $125/month (after the subsidy). The plan has no deductible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I tried to sign up but then I remembered that I love America.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:42 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I thought the prices looked pretty reasonable, but haven't been able to look overly much.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:42 pm 

If you want to look at prices without logging in (and without the subsidy information), someone showed me this site: http://stevemorse.org/obamacare/obamacare.html
It appears to be accurate, as the price it showed for the plan I picked was correct.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:49 pm 
WRETCHED

I was trying to see if I could get a quote on the cost of health insurance but the Maryland system is down. Last time I looked (a couple years ago), the premium was something like $2500/month. The website is also kind of confusing and only seems to be for low income? I figured it'd be for everyone to sign up for insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

I disagree because the government is overloaded with bureaucracy. I don't agree with spending and wasting of the tax payers money, while people are starving and dying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:22 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

manuel10878501 wrote:
I disagree because the government is overloaded with bureaucracy. I don't agree with spending and wasting of the tax payers money, while people are starving and dying.

You disagree with Obamacare because taxpayer money should be spent on people who are dying? Obamacare saves lives. It'll save many lives through both prevention (people going to the doctor that wouldn't go without health insurance to find out they have a life-threatening, but treatable condition) and through treatment for people who couldn't otherwise get healthcare. That includes one of my friends who has a pre-existing condition and hasn't been able to get treatment until this law. The law is literally saving his life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I liked this: 3 20-somethings re-wrote the gov't website into HealthSherpa.gov, making it more user-friendly: http://www.theeverlastinggopstoppers.co ... ays-video/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 am 
Lime and a Coconut

manuel10878501 wrote:

I agree absolutely. Let's shut down the military.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I'm sorry, it's just too delicious not to comment on twice. There are people out there who are upset about the ACA because it diverts money from important things, like… people who are dying.

Dying of what? Could perhaps… a doctor bring them back from the brink?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:41 am 
rowdily playing checkers

I'm pretty sure manuel10878501 is a spammer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Wait, a what now?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm pretty sure he just shares the popular Republican opinion that the money spent on the ACA should instead be diverted to SNAP and food banks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:03 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Like, pretty sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Yeah. He probably found the topic with something that automatically checks lots of places for any conversation on the ACA and isn't a human being.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Someone please explain how the ACA means that my workplace-arranged health care premiums are going up, my out of pocket limit is going up, and yet my older coworker's premiums are going down (by 15%!). Just curious. Up till now I've have a pretty sweet health care deal. For the price of what my premiums for sucky insurance used to be, I pay premiums and fund a $5000 HSA which covers tons of stuff that isn't covered by insurance (like dental work and out-of-network anything). I am very nervous about winding up with a crappier plan and having to spend more money on it. This is not how this is supposed to go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I can't explain it, but I had to switch to a crappier plan to avoid my premium going up by $20 a week. (It's already much too expensive). We've had our own version of this in MA for a few years, so I'm not sure what's going on. I also don't know how I can be in that perfect sweet spot of getting a bad deal from my employer, but not qualifying for any cheaper plans.

So basically I understand nothing. Glad I could help.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:02 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I work for a very small company (15 employees) and our boss claims his portion of our plan was set to increase 60% with the ACA going into effect. The way it was set up before, he was paying 50% of the total premium, but under the new rule, he said he would not have been allowed to pass any portion of the increase onto us. So he chose to eliminate the plan entirely rather than absorb that cost, and now we are all out of luck. Our salaries were not increased to make up for the 50% he used to pay, so we all just essentially took a pay cut and he is pocketing that money.

The dude is a lying scumbag and I wouldn't doubt if he was totally full of shiitake about how much the premium was going to go up. I don't really have any idea. But my 50% portion of our plan used to be $250/month, including dental and vision. For that cost, the ACA plans do not compare. I got screwed and I'm pissed off about it, but I don't blame the ACA. I blame my shithead boss for not having his priorities in line. (For context, he spends $2000/month on a private club membership and $3000/month just on fancy restaurant lunches and booze. Those things he can still afford, naturally!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 am 
Naked Under Apron

Ashley, does he have to pay a penalty now for not offering you insurance? My boss told us they only offer us plans because the cost of paying the penalty would be higher.

He contributes 40% for a single plan, and 33% for a family plan (which leaves my coworker paying over $1,000 a month for her and her husband, and she probably makes $15/hour). He's also doing VERY well, so I am similarly a little bitter about our health care deal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Amy wrote:
Ashley, does he have to pay a penalty now for not offering you insurance? My boss told us they only offer us plans because the cost of paying the penalty would be higher.

He contributes 40% for a single plan, and 33% for a family plan (which leaves my coworker paying over $1,000 a month for her and her husband, and she probably makes $15/hour). He's also doing VERY well, so I am similarly a little bitter about our health care deal.

Your coworker might be able to get insurance on the exchange if her household make less than 400% of the federal poverty limit and insurance costs more than 9.5% of her take home pay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:33 pm 
Naked Under Apron

mollyjade wrote:
Your coworker might be able to get insurance on the exchange if her household make less than 400% of the federal poverty limit and insurance costs more than 9.5% of her take home pay.

We've talked about it, but she doesn't want to change! Actually I qualify under those criteria too, but it took me a good hour to create an account on the MA exchange page and to get the freaking thing to let me log out, so I haven't braved it since. It was really, really, really frustrating (starting with the fact that there were TWO different legitimate sites for MA, for seemingly the same thing but with different logos and layouts and everything- why?!). It's like they're going out of their way to overcomplicate it. Anyway, I should just call.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm 

Amy wrote:

It sounds like Ashley's employer is exempt from a penalty because they have less than 50 full-time equivalent employees.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Tzippy wrote:
Amy wrote:

It sounds like Ashley's employer is exempt from a penalty because they have less than 50 full-time equivalent employees.

Ah, I see. In MA any company with 11 or more full-time employees has to offer a plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next