| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Creationism Carpool
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I figure that if we were designed by an "intelligent creator" we would not both breathe and eat with our mouths. That's a forking terrible design, it enables us to choke.

ETA: obviously we should all be breathing through spiracles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:27 pm 
Grandfathered In

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
I figure that if we were designed by an "intelligent creator" we would not both breathe and eat with our mouths. That's a forking terrible design, it enables us to choke.

So do our enlarged pharyngeal cavities and the more-or-less 90 degree bend in our tracheas and vocal tracts. Makes speech possible and gives us this complicated, choke-prone structure. Nice trade-off, god.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

DrakeRedcrest wrote:

The miracle of the spiracle!

------------------------------
OkC | Google+
------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

For some reason I read "spiracle" as Spirograph.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If there is no God, then who created HBO? Hmmm? Case closed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

One of the most beautiful geological wonders on the east coast, Natural Bridge, is owned by young earth creationists. They won't allow geologists access and they do Bible light shows depicting Genesis. There is no scientific information of any kind at the site.

It breaks my heart. It ought to be a national park. Thomas Jefferson used to own it; I can imagine how appalled he would be to see it today.

The owners are very savvy though--they advertise their Bible shows but otherwise don't mention creationism. I didn't actually figure it out until my drive home, while pondering the peculiar lack of any geologic information.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:05 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Because to them, you don't need geology. All you need to know is that God plopped it there. Or it possibly got "carved" by The Flood.

This is the most depressing thing for me about YEC. They are depriving themselves and their children of some of the most fascinating parts of our planet's history. And I think this also plays into the lack of conservation-minded people within the movement; if you think whatever natural wonder was made in a day, and you figure the Apocalypse is coming soon anyway, there is no reason to restrain yourself from destroying it. Or using it as a backdrop for something lame.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
One of the most beautiful geological wonders on the east coast, Natural Bridge, is owned by young earth creationists. They won't allow geologists access and they do Bible light shows depicting Genesis. There is no scientific information of any kind at the site.

Even more tragic, the apatosaurus from Pee-wee's Big Adventure is now a Creationist museum.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

hoveringdog wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Even more tragic, the apatosaurus from Pee-wee's Big Adventure is now a Creationist museum.

I'm crying a river capable of one day carving out an awesome gorge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:57 am 
Saggy Butt

hoveringdog wrote:
My problem with theistic evolution is that nature is full of hackneyed, inefficient solutions, examples of "bad design." I mean, what deity would create a mutation that confers resistance to malaria in some individuals (forget inventing malaria in the first place) but causes a debilitating, fatal disease in others? The deity of theistic evolution would be at best short sighted, if not a straight up mustard.

Or just way too True Neutral.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

xGreenling wrote:
hoveringdog wrote:
My problem with theistic evolution is that nature is full of hackneyed, inefficient solutions, examples of "bad design." I mean, what deity would create a mutation that confers resistance to malaria in some individuals (forget inventing malaria in the first place) but causes a debilitating, fatal disease in others? The deity of theistic evolution would be at best short sighted, if not a straight up mustard.

Or just way too True Neutral.

What makes a God turn neutral?

If I don't survive, tell my wife "Hello".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm in the lab right now and this kind of stuff makes me so sad. I went to a baptist school from preK-8th grade and it took me a while to understand evolution and realize that what I had been taught was crepe. My favorite bits of evidence include the recurrent laryngeal nerve and chromosome 2 in humans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
gunk wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
I don't get it, why don't they take credit for it? I mean, instead of saying "evolution is too elegant and logical, nooo god must have just magicked this shiitake out of thin air." they could say "holy shiitake, look how amazing our god is, he has set in motion a process that is simple and elegant and holy shiitake, look at the human eye, god's plan totally evolved that shiitake up in here, he was thinking ahead like woah"

p.s. I only know 2 creationists and they are both a little nutty.

But that would mean admitting that the Bible wasn't literally true... that perhaps, it was a metaphor (gasp!). I've always thought it was weird too, though.
I don't think I've ever met a Creationist, but there were some Jehovah's Witnesses at the train station handing out pamphlets the other day. They looked at me and quickly looked away. Guess they realised I was already doomed to hell.

I can't speak for numbers, but honestly, I only believe a small subset of Christians believe the bible is literally true and not full of metaphors and what not. They just seem to be the loudest ones out there. So I think there are a lot of people who believe in God/higher being/something else who also believe evolution was the method.

Exactly . . . I believe in both.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bakedfish wrote:
I'm in the lab right now and this kind of stuff makes me so sad. I went to a baptist school from preK-8th grade and it took me a while to understand evolution and realize that what I had been taught was crepe. My favorite bits of evidence include the recurrent laryngeal nerve and chromosome 2 in humans.

Or how about just the fact that we have brains? If there's a god (and if by god, we mean some sort of non-physical sentient being), then it's possible for all the functions we associate with the mind to exist without the physical organ. But instead we get a brain that's prone to injury and disease, causes frequent complications in childbirth (compared to species with smaller skulls relative to their bodies), and sucks up quite a bit of our body's resources, and yet is apparently unnecessary.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

And how about vestigial structures? Why do I have an appendix? Why do whales have pelvises?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 pm 

hoveringdog wrote:
bakedfish wrote:

Or how about just the fact that we have brains? If there's a god (and if by god, we mean some sort of non-physical sentient being), then it's possible for all the functions we associate with the mind to exist without the physical organ. But instead we get a brain that's prone to injury and disease, causes frequent complications in childbirth (compared to species with smaller skulls relative to their bodies), and sucks up quite a bit of our body's resources, and yet is apparently unnecessary.

Well, sure, you can go for the obvious.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:15 pm 

All of my in-laws are creationists. My father-in-law thinks that dinosaurs were put there by Jesus to "test us". Because Jesus had time for that.

What's funny is that I was raised in an Orthodox Jewish/Mizrahi/S'phardic household (I'm reform now) by a woman who grew up in a Muslim country and went to a Muslim school. She even wears Hijab most of the time because it's a cultural thing and it's important to her.

But I was always taught about Evolution. I always found that a little humorous, that my upbringing could be considered much more "religious" than my husbands, but I was never taught creationism because my mother thought it was "kinda silly".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

habibivegan wrote:
All of my in-laws are creationists. My father-in-law thinks that dinosaurs were put there by Jesus to "test us". Because Jesus had time for that.

Ha, in high school I had a serious crush on an acquaintance in our circle of friends and he alleged this exact same thing one night during a discussion about ancient history. I remember cringing and slowly backing out of the room. So long, crushboy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:45 pm 

molly wrote:
habibivegan wrote:

Ha, in high school I had a serious crush on an acquaintance in our circle of friends and he alleged this exact same thing one night during a discussion about ancient history. I remember cringing and slowly backing out of the room. So long, crushboy!

It's such an odd view to me! Like, can you imagine Jesus and all his buddies burying some dinosaur bones. And he's like "Oh, man. This is gonna be hilarious when people two thousand years from now find these! QUICK! Someone's coming! Everyone hide!"

Jesus, ya' little scamp!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

habibivegan wrote:
molly wrote:
habibivegan wrote:

It's such an odd view to me! Like, can you imagine Jesus and all his buddies burying some dinosaur bones. And he's like "Oh, man. This is gonna be hilarious when people two thousand years from now find these! QUICK! Someone's coming! Everyone hide!"

Jesus, ya' little scamp!

Didn't Bill Hicks have a routine like this?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:38 am 

jogirl wrote:

I'm not...entirely sure :x I had to google who Bill Hicks is.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:21 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

habibivegan wrote:
jogirl wrote:

I'm not...entirely sure :x I had to google who Bill Hicks is.

Ha - that's just made me feel very old!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I was always told that Satan was the one who fiddled with the fossil record in an effort to convince people that evolution is true.

Because evolution is the gateway drug to heathenism.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:23 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I had a face-in-palm moment the other day when my seemingly intelligent sister-in-law expressed to me the whole "but monkeys are no longer evolving into humans, so how could we have come from monkeys" nonsense. I live in TX though, so creationists are quite common. What upset me the most about that though was I was so shocked that I couldn't even come up with an intelligent argument, even though I'm pretty educated on the subject. It just caught me completely off guard, so I just changed the subject.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

My favorite part is where every Thyme, Dock, and Cherry (I just now made that filter up!) thinks they know more about biology and evolution than evolutionary biologists.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next