| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SDA church tries to tit-for-tat the Catholics
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

in the realm of judgy judgersoning their own members for trying to help people that is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-j-bell/anti-bullying-advocates-bullied-by-church_b_1744987.html?icid=hp_search_art

Quote:
When Carrol Grady received a phone call telling her that her organization, Someone To Talk To, was being disinvited from having a booth at this week's North American gathering of Seventh-day Adventist teachers because "this convention is not the right venue for your group," she was shocked and distressed. With only one week before the start of the convention this was painful news to absorb, to say nothing of the expense already incurred personally by her and her volunteers.

Someone To Talk To is a ministry to Adventist families and friends of gays and lesbians. Grady is the 76-year-old founder. "I found it difficult to understand how this venue was not right for our group," she says, "when we are a ministry directed toward young people who are often the target of bullying in our schools and one of the themes of this convention is bullying and harassment in schools. What students and teachers often need is simply someone to talk to." Grady wrote a book, "My Son, Beloved Stranger," and ultimately founded this ministry after walking with her own gay son through the challenges of being gay and an Adventist Christian.

More in link above.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

Post subject: Re: SDA church tries to tit-for-tat the Catholics
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

So sad.

Post subject: Re: SDA church tries to tit-for-tat the Catholics
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:04 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm happy to see that at least some of the membership is coming out in protest of this action. Whether or not the seemingly small vocal group will have any effect remains to be seen. When I was a member of the LDS church during the prop8 campaign there were pockets of us who were strongly against the church's involvement, but it wasn't nearly powerful enough of a group to overturn the tide of ignorance and bigotry. At the very least it drove me to question other aspects of the faith and have the confidence to leave.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]