| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McDonald's to open Veg Restaurants in India
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

According to their research 40% of people living in India are vegetarian and they want to cash in on that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/0 ... 55300.html

Quote:
Swadeshi Jagran Manch, a Hindu nationalist group, said it would oppose McDonald's plan to open a restaurant in Katra, describing it as an attempt to "humiliate Hindus."

"It's an attempt not only to make money but also to deliberately humiliate Hindus. It is an organization associated with cow slaughter. If we make an announcement that they're slaughtering cows, people won't eat there. We are definitely going to fight it," said national co-convener S. Gurumurthy.

Post subject: Re: McDonald's to open Veg Restaurants in India
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Haven't read the article because I'm at work, but how is this different from the restaurants they already have? Those also cater to vegetarians, if I'm remembering correctly (been a while since I was in India) and hindus have so far been fine with the Indian menu which doesn't have beef on it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:33 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Right, but the McD's corp slaughters cows elsewhere - so eating there is effectively supporting that slaughter. Normally I steer clear of the fundamentalist Hindu organizations (so scary!) but about this particular "issue" I agree with them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The first think I thought was are vegetarians anywhere really going to be accepting of McD's doing this because it doesn't forgive the fact that they still slaughter and mistreat animals as a whole. Personally I won't give my money to them no matter what.

But, I've never been to India and I have no idea what people in India want. The articles I've read so far state that the McD's restaurants in India have some veg options, but really they just don't sell beef or pork for religious reasons. But their menus still rely heavily on chicken, lamb and fish. So true vegetarians and vegans in India are without options at McD's. And they think making an all veg restaurant will be a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:43 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lutin wrote:
Right, but the McD's corp slaughters cows elsewhere - so eating there is effectively supporting that slaughter.
This. I wouldn't give McDonald's a penny of my money under any circumstances. No matter what else the menu may offer, the fact remains that their corporation is built on the exploitation, torture, and unnecessary murder of billions of animals, and anything purchased from them is effectively done in support of that, regardless of the buyer's own dietary choices.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Desdemona on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:52 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lutin wrote:
Right, but the McD's corp slaughters cows elsewhere - so eating there is effectively supporting that slaughter. Normally I steer clear of the fundamentalist Hindu organizations (so scary!) but about this particular "issue" I agree with them.

I agree with them as well, although agreed fundamentalist Hindu organisations are scary. It was just my understanding that they didn't really care previously. Maybe that's just because of the people I come in contact with. Anyway, I wouldn't call it an effort to deliberately humiliate hindus so much as someone in upper management has an overdeveloped desire to line their pockets and less than half a brain.

I suspect the vast majority of people who are uneducated on the topic/are not ultra religious will probably go to such vegetarian McDonalds restaurants anyway, so good for the people who care if they can stop it.

Disclaimer: I am a non-practicing hindu so my knowledge of this issue is limited to interactions with family members and their acquaintances/them ranting about things from Indian newspapers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

lutin wrote:
Normally I steer clear of the fundamentalist Hindu organizations (so scary!)

I know nothing about fundie hindus. Can you tell me more? I'm curious to how they stack up against other religious groups. Genuinely curious!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

Desdemona wrote:
lutin wrote:
Right, but the McD's corp slaughters cows elsewhere - so eating there is effectively supporting that slaughter.
This. I wouldn't give McDonald's a penny of my money under any circumstances. No matter what else the menu may offer, the fact remains that their corporation is built on the exploitation, torture, and unnecessary murder of billions of animals, and anything purchased from them is effectively done in support of that, regardless of the buyer's own dietary choices.

couldn't you make the same argument for any regular grocery store?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't get how this is humiliating Hindus? People either eat there or they don't.

Obviously, it's a blatant money grab, but that's par for the course.

On the radio this morning, they said these could possibly be opening in other countries also. If McDs ended up with a reasonable actual trustworthy vgan selection, I might consider supporting it because the large audience for the products could mean a good impact. I don't know though; still super problematic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:

I feel like you are right, though there is some arguable difference with grocery stores having a lot more variety than McDonalds, you are still supporting meat industry indirectly either way.

I don't really see this is a big deal or get how this is humiliating anyone. I might even say I see it as somewhat positive. I mean, I don't think I want to eat there, but I think the more people have access to veggie food the better and it is good that they are considering other options aside from meat. I guess part of why I don't think this is a big deal is because it is only two restaurants, right? I mean, McDonalds is pretty huge, what they are doing in two restaurants is more like an experiment than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
lutin wrote:

*cough* whole foods and their happy meat department *cough*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:48 am 
Tofu Pup

lavawitch wrote:
I don't get how this is humiliating Hindus? People either eat there or they don't.

I think that part of the problem (from a Hindu fundamentalist perspective) is that one of the planned restaurants is going to be at Vaishno Devi, a major pilgrimage site for Hindus. I'm a devout atheist, but I grew up in India in a Hindu family, and I can see that some of my relatives would find it distasteful to have somewhere so thoroughly associated with killing cows right next to one of one of the holiest shrines in North India. It would be a bit like, I don't know, a major bacon producer pitching up a (bacon free) restaurant next to the Wailing Wall.

That said, in my experience Hindu fundamentalist campaigns (and this is certainly one) seem mostly to be about xenophobia (and beating on religious minorities, especially muslims), and much less about animal welfare. I doubt that there would be the same outcry if say, the Taj group (an Indian hotel and restaurant chain) decided to open a restaurant at Vaishno Devi, even though they serve plenty of meat, and I've had no luck trying to explain why milk is problematic to any of my Indian relatives.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:18 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That is disrespectful. Is everything commercialized these days?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:44 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

lavawitch wrote:
Is everything commercialized these days?

In a word, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Desdemona wrote:
lutin wrote:

One could also make the same argument for eating in any restaurant that may be vegan friendly, but still serves meat. If McD's or another fast food chain made vegan food options available, boycotting could lead them to decide that consumers are just not interested. That's a very personal choice, of course, and I understand why some folks would not want to support them.

I would like to see an all vegetarian McDonald's succeed, not just in India, but other countries as well. It would not change the fact that they sell animal products elsewhere, but it could go a long way to make vegetarian and vegan food more appealing to people who might otherwise never step foot in a veg*n restaurant.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bunniee wrote:

One could also make the same argument for eating in any restaurant that may be vegan friendly, but still serves meat. If McD's or another fast food chain made vegan food options available, boycotting could lead them to decide that consumers are just not interested. That's a very personal choice, of course, and I understand why some folks would not want to support them.

I would like to see an all vegetarian McDonald's succeed, not just in India, but other countries as well. It would not change the fact that they sell animal products elsewhere, but it could go a long way to make vegetarian and vegan food more appealing to people who might otherwise never step foot in a veg*n restaurant.

This is my general take on it, too. Chances are I would have no interest whatsoever, but I'm accustomed (and able!) to not relying the convenience of fast food. Plus I have a particular disdain for McD's for many reasons, one that they were the pioneers of the forked up fast food system we have today, and another is their aggressive marketing to children that (I believe) exceeds that of other fast food joints by a long shot.

Realistically, if a significant portion of the US ever makes the veg*n plunge, development of fast food chains catering to it is practically inevitable. And who has the funds more available to that than a huge existing chain? I know that's a little different from the situation in India, but in my eyes, any increase in the ease and availability of veg foods is a good thing. I really don't see it as different from grabbing some beans and rice from Taco Bell, something I've done all of once, but it's nice to have that safety net around.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The vast majority of the food industry is controlled by a few large corporations. If you eat anywhere or anything (at least in the developed world) you're probably indirectly funding the slaughter and exploitation of animals. Personally, I feel that by eating the veg options at McDonald's the good might in fact outweigh the bad. You are showing that there is a demand for veg food. Perhaps, when they see this they'll bring their veg options to new markets and as such reduce the number of animals slaughtered to serve their customers.