| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: Positivity and Feminism
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:40 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Revisiting the abortion issue in Ireland. The treatment of this woman was disgusting, from inaction causing her death, to what they put her family though after she died. I've put a bit from the article in spoilers because it's pretty gruesome and upsetting reading.

I didn't hear about this case at the time, but have raged about it ever since http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-an ... -1.2048616

Spoiler: show
The woman is 18 weeks pregnant and was at 15 weeks gestation when she was declared clinically dead on December 3rd at a Dublin hospital as a result of a brain trauma suffered at a hospital outside Dublin on November 29th, two days after she was admitted there complaining of severe headaches.

Due to concerns by doctors at the Dublin hospital about the legal implications of her pregnancy, arising from the State’s obligation to vindicate the right to life of the unborn in Article 40.3.3. - the 1983 anti-abortion amendment to the Constitution - she has remained on somatic life-support treatment.

Her father, supported by her partner and extended family, had applied to the court for orders stopping the somatic treatment so they could bury her “with dignity”. Her father said she no longer looked like his daughter and the eldest of her two young children had been very distressed when she saw her mother last week.

Of seven doctors who gave evidence to the court earlier this week, none argued the treatment should continue or that there was any realistic prospect of her baby being born intact even if the treatment continued. The court also heard the woman’s condition is deteriorating, her brain is rotting, she has an open head wound and several infections and there were concerns about the effect of this, and the drugs being administered to the woman, on the unborn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:31 am 
Total Hoover

fezza wrote:
Revisiting the abortion issue in Ireland. The treatment of this woman was disgusting, from inaction causing her death, to what they put her family though after she died. I've put a bit from the article in spoilers because it's pretty gruesome and upsetting reading.

I didn't hear about this case at the time, but have raged about it ever since http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-an ... -1.2048616

Spoiler: show
The woman is 18 weeks pregnant and was at 15 weeks gestation when she was declared clinically dead on December 3rd at a Dublin hospital as a result of a brain trauma suffered at a hospital outside Dublin on November 29th, two days after she was admitted there complaining of severe headaches.

Due to concerns by doctors at the Dublin hospital about the legal implications of her pregnancy, arising from the State’s obligation to vindicate the right to life of the unborn in Article 40.3.3. - the 1983 anti-abortion amendment to the Constitution - she has remained on somatic life-support treatment.

Her father, supported by her partner and extended family, had applied to the court for orders stopping the somatic treatment so they could bury her “with dignity”. Her father said she no longer looked like his daughter and the eldest of her two young children had been very distressed when she saw her mother last week.

Of seven doctors who gave evidence to the court earlier this week, none argued the treatment should continue or that there was any realistic prospect of her baby being born intact even if the treatment continued. The court also heard the woman’s condition is deteriorating, her brain is rotting, she has an open head wound and several infections and there were concerns about the effect of this, and the drugs being administered to the woman, on the unborn.

So sad and disgusting. That poor family. Such a stupid legal climate, treating woman as just incubators, that leads to doctors dong things like this out of fear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:22 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

All the women kicking asparagus in the Olympics. fork yes Sarah Robles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yes! Let's hear it for Dipa Karmakar!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Simone Biles was such a joy to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

pandacookie wrote:
All the women kicking asparagus in the Olympics. fork yes Sarah Robles.

Yessss Sarah Robles! Christ she is strong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:24 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Throwing up 350 pounds like it ain't no thang.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I took my four year old daughter to a street fair and she wanted to go to the planned parenthood booth because they had a cool looking wheel you could spin and win a prize. She spun the wheel and had to answer a question. The volunteer had a list of questions for all age groups, and my daughter got, "What's the name of a good friend you like to play with? What would you do if your friend said they didn't feel like playing with you, but you wanted to?" What a sweet way to teach little tiny kids about consent. Then my daughter got to choose between all kinds of cute buttons or pieces of gum instead of getting a condom as a prize.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yesss Planned Parenthood! I love you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:32 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

mooo wrote:
I took my four year old daughter to a street fair and she wanted to go to the planned parenthood booth because they had a cool looking wheel you could spin and win a prize. She spun the wheel and had to answer a question. The volunteer had a list of questions for all age groups, and my daughter got, "What's the name of a good friend you like to play with? What would you do if your friend said they didn't feel like playing with you, but you wanted to?" What a sweet way to teach little tiny kids about consent. Then my daughter got to choose between all kinds of cute buttons or pieces of gum instead of getting a condom as a prize.

The other day, I was watching Gravity Falls with my little brother. In the episode we watched, someone is trying to pressure Mabel into going on a date with him which she feels uncomfortable with. This led to us talking about how it's OK to say no to things we feel uncomfortable with and it doesn't make you a bad person if you if you say no to things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:36 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I love that Alicia Keys is making major red carpet appearances without makeup wearing extremely minimal makeup. It's a little thing, and people are FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT OH MY GOD but it's refreshing to see a huge star who's just... not wearing makeup if she doesn't want to. I mean, it helps that she's *~GORGEOUS~* to begin with, but hey. Baby steps!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:22 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Ok, I know the point of this photo from the "TechCrunch Disrupt" conference (needs more buzzwords) is to illustrate the gender disparity in the tech field. BUT, I couldn't help but smile at this picture because it's always the opposite pretty much anywhere else. I mean, women are used to being excluded from anything and everything, so while the tech industry is yet another gender inequality behemoth to take on, this insane bathroom line is like the tiniest unexpected windfall of sexism.

Usually when I'm faced with a women's line that long I just go to the men's room anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:53 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

snort! Excellent pic. One can only hope (hope?) for equal lines in the future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17