| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Positivity and Feminism
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:34 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Saw Patty Griffin last night. She played this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOBPaULLps (ok maybe it belongs in the other thread? its about victim blaming.)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:41 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

A similar thing has happened with the hashtag #exposePP (PP being Planned Parenthood)

My favorite: Planned Parenhood uses Comic Sans. #ExposePP

ETA I'm referring to the #INeedMasculinismBecause hashtag from a few posts ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:41 am 
Nailed to the V

cool scottish ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 95-IL3C-Z8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:42 am 
Nailed to the V

even better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... pVzXpKkFiU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:50 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It's not exactly feminism, but a friend of mine is Chinese and didn't understand the difference between sex and gender in English. I explained it to her. About a month later she corrected one of her professors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:50 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It sucks that this bill exists, but I am very inspired by Senator Davis' stand (literally!). Go, Senator!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =195549307

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

article I just read (could be even more complete/detailed, but main points seem to be there) http://blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/201 ... stitution/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

Texas state senator Wendy Davis is killing it! Over six hours in and she is cool, calm, and brilliant. The old male GOPs surrounding her are laughing, on their phones, and picking their noses. They should be ashamed. But she is just amazing. The live feed of this filibuster is here. Watch, even if just for a moment. It's astonishing: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... eping.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 am 
Inflexitarian

"Mr. Senator, at what point must a female colleague have to raise her hand or her voice to be recognized by her male colleagues in the room?" (cheers and screams erupt in the galleries) -Senator Leticia Van de Putte, twelve hours into the filibuster.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 am 
Discovered unobtainium

They killed her filibuster at the last minute on a technicality (they said talking about sonogram laws wasn't germane, which is really splitting hairs), but now there is some discussion over whether or not they voted by midnight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have always told anyone who cared to hear that I am a feminist ... what else would I be? a supporter of female oppression?

I like to think just by talking about my life I have made some younger women see there are other ways to live other than the standard many of them see around them.

I lived alone before I married, I married a man who did not have a job! I never wanted children, made sure he was in agreement with that before we married & got my tubes tied / burned whatever they do as soon as possible.

My husband did get a job, takes time when carrying a MSc Philosophy, now makes loads of dosh but he knows that I married him because I wanted to be one with him, not his wallet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I ended up watching (fairly passively though) a lot of that. what a forking circus US politics are, haha. and from what I gather, there's no real resolution on what happened today, due to the vote after midnight (albeit, they didn't know if they were voting on the bill, or the "previous question")

that said, even before addressing basic rights, the proposed law wasn't particularly well thought out. weird it had to end up that way, instead of, you know, discourse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Could anyone explain to non-American me what that filibuster thing means, and what it entails?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 am 
Discovered unobtainium

A filibuster is basically holding the floor by yammering nonstop in order to prevent the other side from accomplishing something before a looming deadline. Rules vary.

In this case in Texas, filibuster rules included the requirement that the speaker stay strictly on topic (so no reading the phone book for 10 hours). Also, no sitting, leaning, or going to the bathroom.

The special session closed at midnight, so if ths abortion bill was not voted on by then, it would be dead until a new session, giving the democrats time to get more support. In order to prevent a vote from occurring today Wendy Davis prepared to speak non-stop until midnight. But the republicans were on their toes watching for her to go off topic or lean on something so they could end the filibuster and vote.

Basically : fun and games, political edition.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tangent warning:
joshua wrote:
I ended up watching (fairly passively though) a lot of that. what a forking circus US politics are

Hahaha, I wonder if you're watching Australian politics right now.

ETA "it's like a Harry Potter book" - quoted from tv.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:09 am 
Naked Under Apron

Different states and the federal government have different rules. There are some where you don't have to stay on topic at all, as long as you don't actually stop talking. I think there was someone once who spent several hours reading a novel he'd written.

Oh, and if you want to see how this plays out in the American political imagination, see if you can get a copy of the movie "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." The big pivotal scene in that is a filibuster done for all the right reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Watching the Wendy Davis filibuster and everything that followed was one of the most intense political nights I can remember. When Leticia Van De Putte said, "At what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over her male colleagues?” and the entire capitol started screaming so loud it derailed the entire vote is something I will always remember. No one was allowed to make any noise in the chamber so it was the first time we heard everyone in the last few hours. So wonderful to see so many women standing up for our rights. It was amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:58 am 
Inflexitarian

caterpillar wrote:
Tangent warning:
joshua wrote:
I ended up watching (fairly passively though) a lot of that. what a forking circus US politics are

Hahaha, I wonder if you're watching Australian politics right now.

Good point - no finger-pointing today! There was even a filibuster of sorts in the NSW upper house two years ago - but yes, most Australian parliaments including federal have much stricter time limitations.

I watched the final twenty minutes of the Wendy Davis marathon live (in fact, 'Wendy Davis' was trending in Sydney this afternoon), so basically what I saw was Leticia Van de Putte's efforts and final exasperated question that brought the place down. And the twelve minutes of cheering. So awesome and inspiring to watch!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:58 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm so glad for the internet when stuff like this happens. I'm so glad I heard about what Senator Davis did, and that I got to watch some of it live!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:12 am 
WELFARIST!

This was something awesome to wake up to today. I have never seen something so powerful in that setting since the vote for gay marriage in NY. Now let's hope this continues on today with the DOMA/Prop 8 vote.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Watching this last night was wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks Lavawitch and Larisa.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:07 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm really happy about the fact that DOMA was struck down too, but please can I make a small linguistic plea?

I really don't like the phrase "gay marriage", as in the words of Liz Feldman:

Quote:
"It's very dear to me, the issue of gay marriage. Or, as I like to call it: 'marriage.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it."

My personal preference is for "equal marriage" as that's what we're asking for; equal rights to be able to marry for same-sex couples.

A great article on the subject can be found here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robyn-har ... 72611.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I agree. However, I'd say that there needs to be some kind of differentiating term simply because the discourse on this issue doesn't make sense if you're unable to differentiate "traditional marriage," which is currently fully recognized by federal and state bodies, and "gay marriage," which is not. Does that make sense? It's not a value judgment. I mean, the SCOTUS decisions on Prop 8 and DOMA today didn't pave the way for "marriage." They paved the way for a particular category of marriage, "gay marriage," which is currently, unjustly, recognized and treated differently than "traditional marriage." I'm not sure how that concept could be communicated without acknowledging that there has been a difference in how those two types of marriage have been treated, you know?

That said, I totally recognize what you're saying and really do agree. Hopefully this stuff just won't be an issue that needs to be discussed in differentiating terms for much longer, and the term "gay marriage" will seem as ridiculous as "gay lunch" soon. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:33 am 
WELFARIST!

^Yes to everything jopa said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next