| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Positivity and Feminism
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:11 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Don't know if this is best here or in the body shaming thread or the body positivity one, but it made me happy when I heard it.

My brother mentioned that his girlfriend has stopped shaving her legs and underarms since she has been going out with him, as she now feels comfortable enough to do so. This is an incredibly feminine young woman who obviously takes joy in choosing her clothes and make-up, and she is 18 so peer pressure must be particularly fierce, but she feels confident to choose her own way of looking beautiful. (And my goodness she succeeds.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Brooklyn based artist Tatyana Fazlalizadeh took her resistance to the streets. Her project “Stop Telling Women to Smile” places portraits of women, defiant and impactful, in the very spaces where strangers have hounded her.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/artic ... smile.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:02 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Tofulish wrote:
Brooklyn based artist Tatyana Fazlalizadeh took her resistance to the streets. Her project “Stop Telling Women to Smile” places portraits of women, defiant and impactful, in the very spaces where strangers have hounded her.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/artic ... smile.html

I remember seeing this on Hollaback and loving it! Such an awesome message.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know if anyone's seen news about the Burka Avenger, a Pakistani superhero who fights for girls education with books and pens, and while its pretty simplistic and the animation is less than stellar, I like that it isn't subtle at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just watched the trailer and it looks pretty awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:10 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

My 16 year old autistic brother designing some female superheroes because he doesn't feel like there are enough female superheroes in most comics/TV shows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:01 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

GreenDuck wrote:

My brother mentioned that his girlfriend has stopped shaving her legs and underarms since she has been going out with him, as she now feels comfortable enough to do so. This is an incredibly feminine young woman who obviously takes joy in choosing her clothes and make-up, and she is 18 so peer pressure must be particularly fierce, but she feels confident to choose her own way of looking beautiful. (And my goodness she succeeds.)

That's awesome! Sounds like a happy partnership.

Pi_Face wrote:
My 16 year old autistic brother designing some female superheroes because he doesn't feel like there are enough female superheroes in most comics/TV shows.

He's right. More power to him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:00 pm 

I guess this story could have gone into the challenging feminism thread too, but I like to focus on the positive about this story, which is that something finally seems to be being done about this awful scandal:

Kym Worthy and the fight to investigate Detroit's 11,000 forgotten rapes:Evidence relating to thousands of rape cases has been neglected for years in the US. Now 'the toughest woman in Detroit' is determined to do something about it
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... tten-rapes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

in europe muslim women are constantly the victims of violence and discrimination :(
A friend made this photomontage in solidarity with them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:05 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

A new university course, Feminism and Technology, sounds awesome. I wish I was still a student!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/08/27/toronto-university-course-feminist-wikipedia.html

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:43 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

The Clearest Graphs You Will Ever See Refuting the Idea That Women Are Bad at Math.

Hehe. Awesome.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Love!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:31 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lepelaar wrote:

This is wonderful. I hate when people assume I'm bad at math either because of my gender or my field of expertise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Brilliant spoken word piece about the "Friendzone." Stick with it to the end :)
http://www.upworthy.com/when-this-guy-e ... -2-minutes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:36 pm 

This amazing article about feminism on Mumsnet: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... s-feminism

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just had a surprisingly good interaction on the street with a couple of young guys.

I was walking back to my office from the grocery store at lunch, and these two young (maybe 17-20 year old?) black guys started to catch up with me, and as they were approaching, one said, "How YOU doin'?"

I totally ignored him.

As he approached me he said, "Oh so I guess you don't talk to my kind, huh?" (Yeah, I'm not talking to you 'cause you're black, not 'cause you're an 18-year-old dude on the street saying "How you doin'" at me...)

I turned and said to both of them, "You know, I find it doesn't usually go well for me when I engage in conversation with strangers on the street."

(Not entirely true- sometimes I have perfectly lovely interactions with strangers on the street! But not when they approach me like that!)

The guy said, "Well you could at least be polite about it."

(You got a point there, kid, women are always supposed to be polite, which means engaging with you however you want them to, even if they don't feel comfortable or just don't feel like it.)

My response was, "Actually I would <i>really like</i> to be able to talk to strangers on the street, but it usually ends up with someone trying to ask for my phone number or whatever, which I don't want."

His response, "Oh. So you just do what you do, and you don't have no drama."

Me, "Yup."

Then they walked the next block near me but without bothering me. He didn't even call me a bisque or a dyke or anything, and he even seemed to listen and kind of get it! Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finally, something good happening at a university with regards to pop culture and rape culture:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24071219

And it's my alma mater! Woot!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 pm 

Oh, that is great! I keep hearing the song everywhere, but luckily most people i talk to about it agree that it is about rape and that it's really dumb that is so popular.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GUYS!
"Somewhere in the countless hours we spent tallying up co-eds and scoring beer pong, we lost track of the most essential element of the Playboy lifestyle: sexual pleasure. Rape is kryptonite to sexual pleasure. The two cannot co-exist. For our revised party guide to live up to our founder’s vision, we had to put a new criterion on top. Namely, consent.

In other words… A good college party is all about everyone having a good time. Consent is all about everyone having a good time. Rape is only a good time if you’re a rapist. And fork those people."

http://partywithplayboy.com

http://playboyco.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:02 am 
Lime and a Coconut

It's not real: http://jezebel.com/someone-hacked-playb ... 1335711919

Although, could you imagine?! The reason you fell for it is because it makes perfect sense and would not be out of place on an actual college campus. Seriously, why aren't we pushing this message to all young people arriving at college?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 am 

Even though it's fake, i'm really glad it's out there. It does make a lot of sense. My school has a whole "Consent is sexy" campaign. My boyfriend thinks it's a little, um, trivializing, like it is making light of rape. BUt i think they were just choosing a slogan that would appeal to college kids. It gets your attention, and it plays on the things that students like: sexy, fun, partying, happy time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:29 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Okay, this isn't strictly a feminist thing since women aren't really involved in this at all, but I read this article about a new Guinness ad that sounds really fantastic: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... thumbs-up/

Here's the ad:

http://youtu.be/xwndLOKQTDs

As the article put it, it's really nice to see an ad (a beer at aimed at men, no less) that doesn't involve ridiculing women as a part of male bonding, and also portrays disabled individuals as athletic & strong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

annabazoo wrote:
Even though it's fake, i'm really glad it's out there. It does make a lot of sense. My school has a whole "Consent is sexy" campaign. My boyfriend thinks it's a little, um, trivializing, like it is making light of rape. BUt i think they were just choosing a slogan that would appeal to college kids. It gets your attention, and it plays on the things that students like: sexy, fun, partying, happy time.

The feminist club at the community college I went to is planning a "consent is sexy" campaign. I do kind of have a problem with it because consent isn't just sexy - it's mandatory! Hopefully it will get students' attention, like you said, and maybe appeal to people who would not have responded well to a more direct and commanding anti-rape campaign.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:22 am 
Nooch of Earl

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/1 ... 97006.html

I don't give two shakes of a rat's asparagus about Miley Cyrus, because it's not like I've run out of good music and had to start listening to teen pop, but I absolutely loved Gloria Steinem's response to someone trying to bait her into shaming Cyrus:

Quote:
I wish we didn’t have to be nude to be noticed ... But given the game as it exists, women make decisions. For instance, the Miss America contest is in all of its states ... the single greatest source of scholarship money for women in the United States. If a contest based only on appearance was the single greatest source of scholarship money for men, we would be saying, "This is why China wins." You know? It’s ridiculous. But that’s the way the culture is. I think that we need to change the culture, not blame the people that are playing the only game that exists.

Do not recommend reading the comments.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

annak wrote:

good ol' Gloria. (though i can't help but wonder if Miley will respond with another YOU DON'T KNOW ME thing like she did with Sinéad)

the little slideshow of famous women's friendships at the bottom made me feel warm & fuzzy.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next