Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Positivity and Feminism
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22367
Page 3 of 17

Author:  Jigglypuff [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

Tofulish wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xcBmj1sn8

A SAHD who isn't an incompetent buffoon!

No offense meant, T-lish, but I found this comment troublesome. I feel that the idea of men as blustering buffoons limits men as parents and ensures that women continue to bear most of the burden of caring for children.

Author:  Tofulish [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

Jigglypuff wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xcBmj1sn8

A SAHD who isn't an incompetent buffoon!

No offense meant, T-lish, but I found this comment troublesome. I feel that the idea of men as blustering buffoons limits men as parents and ensures that women continue to bear most of the burden of caring for children.


That was my point! I am hard pressed to think of one pop culture example of an involved, competent and loving father (besides Parenthood). Shows like Guys with Kids, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond make easy comedy fodder out of the incompetent Dad who is lazy and screws stuff up so the mother has to step in and do all the work.

I want to see more Dads doing awesome things and taking care of their kids without calling in their mothers so they can go out for pizza or poker, setting their homes on fire, losing the children on the bus, etc

Author:  lepelaar [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

[slight derail]This is not to detract from your point, Tofulish, because I completely agree with what you're saying about the image of the incompetent dad in pop culture. But I have to jump in and defend Friends. Ross (the only of the friends who is a father) is actually portrayed as a very caring and competent father to both of his children. It was impromptu babysitters Joey and Chandler who left Ross's baby on the bus. And Aunt Monica who bumped his head on a rafter. [/slight derail from someone who's clearly watched Friends one too many times]

Author:  Mr. Shankly [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

lepelaar wrote:
[slight derail]This is not to detract from your point, Tofulish, because I completely agree with what you're saying about the image of the incompetent dad in pop culture. But I have to jump in and defend Friends. Ross (the only of the friends who is a father) is actually portrayed as a very caring and competent father to both of his children. It was impromptu babysitters Joey and Chandler who left Ross's baby on the bus. And Aunt Monica who bumped his head on a rafter. [/slight derail from someone who's clearly watched Friends one too many times]

This made me laugh so much.

And I know you've probably all seen it before but I do love this video.

Author:  VeganinBerlin [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

i loved her so much! uh

Author:  Tofulish [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

I had never seen these and they are hilarious and amazing. They are perfect for this thread. The Dating Advice one was priceless.

Author:  Tenacious LD [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

That is awesome!

Author:  Mr. Shankly [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

Target Women is my first love but if you liked that then you may also like Modern Lady:



Author:  Tofulish [ Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

So NSFW

Author:  paprikapapaya [ Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

I really like the images on this kawaii feminist blog, reminding us that being feminine is not anti-feminist.
http://fuckyeahsubversivekawaii.tumblr.com/

Author:  Pi_Face [ Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

The fact I have male friends who I go to shows with who will listen to me when I talk about what it's like being one of few girls at punk/hardcore gigs and not try to say I'm over-reacting.

Author:  Fee [ Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

In staffing at work it was brought up that one of our clients is getting an abortion and no one said a single offensive thing about it. I mean these people start out every day with a group prayer and aren't afraid to go on about how stupid gun control is and lots of other controversial things that usually peas me off, but on this controversial issue (with I'm sure at least 50% or more people in the room being pro life) no one piped in with anything other than the facts. It was weird, but it made me feel good and slightly progressive.

Author:  aelle [ Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

The reclaiming of the #INeedMasculismBecause hashtag on Twitter is full of win. https://twitter.com/search?q=%23INeedMa ... e&src=tren

Author:  Mr. Shankly [ Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

aelle wrote:
The reclaiming of the #INeedMasculismBecause hashtag on Twitter is full of win. https://twitter.com/search?q=%23INeedMa ... e&src=tren

I don't think I get it? I don't Twitter so maybe that's why.

Author:  lillianp [ Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

Mr. Shankly wrote:
aelle wrote:
The reclaiming of the #INeedMasculismBecause hashtag on Twitter is full of win. https://twitter.com/search?q=%23INeedMa ... e&src=tren

I don't think I get it? I don't Twitter so maybe that's why.


I was just coming to post here about that!! Mr Shankly, maybe the jezebel blurb about it will help? http://jezebel.com/5982901/feminists-ar ... on-twitter

(quick thing: hashtags are how people who don't know each other can have conversations/talk about the same thing and find all the same tweets, so Men's Rights Activists started the I need Masculism hashtag and feminists took it over)

Author:  Mr. Shankly [ Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

lillianp wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
aelle wrote:
The reclaiming of the #INeedMasculismBecause hashtag on Twitter is full of win. https://twitter.com/search?q=%23INeedMa ... e&src=tren

I don't think I get it? I don't Twitter so maybe that's why.


I was just coming to post here about that!! Mr Shankly, maybe the jezebel blurb about it will help? http://jezebel.com/5982901/feminists-ar ... on-twitter

(quick thing: hashtags are how people who don't know each other can have conversations/talk about the same thing and find all the same tweets, so Men's Rights Activists started the I need Masculism hashtag and feminists took it over)

Okay, thanks! That helped. I was reading through them and I understood the sarcastic ones but then I noticed a lot that were definitely seriously anti-feminist and was confused.

Author:  Shy Mox [ Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

A co-volunteer at a feminist organization I'm with posted this in our facebook group: http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/girls-dont-count/

Reading it was a bit emotional for me, but I'm so happy that she posted it. Even when other feminists are awesome and intersectional I get overwhelmed!

Author:  Mr. Shankly [ Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

“My Name Is Not Baby”: This Street Art Combats Street Harassment

http://fazstreetart.tumblr.com/

Author:  Tofulish [ Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

I love Kate Harding. This is her tumblr on rape culture: http://victimblaming.tumblr.com/

Author:  b.vicious [ Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

Tofulish wrote:
I love Kate Harding. This is her tumblr on rape culture: http://victimblaming.tumblr.com/

Nice!

Author:  Mr. Shankly [ Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

This is why I continue to vote for Kirsten Gillibrand.

Author:  Mr. Shankly [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

http://www.upworthy.com/a-very-powerful ... ves?c=mrp1

Author:  Imogen [ Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

A beautiful video about Malala Yousafzai's first day at school in Birmingham six months after she was shot by the Taliban for promoting girls' education (inspiring!): http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ma ... zai-school

Author:  DrakeRedcrest [ Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

My university has instituted at least one (I'm assuming (hoping?) more, I will have to go looking) gender neutral bathroom. AND! It is wheelchair accessible!

Author:  Imogen [ Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Positivity and Feminism

Image

Page 3 of 17 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/