Thanks, internet commenter:

Post subject: Re: Scalia RIP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RIP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:45 pm 
Semen Strong

I feel about Justice Scalia, like many of the UK PPKers felt about Maggie Thatcher, and I'm grateful to those who made this point (which I disagreed with at first but came to agree with).

Quote:
Demanding that no criticisms be voiced to counter that hagiography is to enable false history and a propagandistic whitewashing of bad acts, distortions that become quickly ossified and then endure by virtue of no opposition and the powerful emotions created by death.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -etiquette

This is my favorite piece: https://medium.com/@SaraJBenincasa/on-t ... .55d8ce7ma

Quote:
I am not aware of any law, moral or otherwise, that confers sainthood upon every person who dies. In that case, Walt Disney, Pol Pot, and all our great-great-great-great-great grandfathers are due some worship, STAT.
If he wanted respect in death, the man should’ve shown it to more people in life.
He didn’t turn into a good person as soon as his pulse stopped. He was permitted to live and die with the dignity he did not allow others. I’m glad he apparently didn’t suffer in death the way he made others suffer in life.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I agree; I just think immediately upon hearing the news is too soon in most cases. Give it an hour or two.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:57 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't know if you read the Guardian piece, but I agree that the dictate that one 'not speak ill of the dead' is (at best) appropriate for private individuals, not influential public figures. The minute the news went public the GOP jumped on it and started to make their case for why he was great and needs to be replaced by someone similar, and it's really important for us to remember why he was a horrible justice.

Even if he was a really nice guy who was loved by his family, as a public servant, he did immeasurable harm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I didn't read it all. I just have a blanket feeling that everybody on any side can wait until the "breaking news" banners are gone before starting. That's not the same as saying don't criticize; I just think it's a bit classier to wait a few hours. We've got plenty of time to dissect his legacy and its impact.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Classy =/= Politics

(unfortunately)

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:29 pm 
Semen Strong

I believe in justice and I think the law is a tremendously powerful tool to right injustice. But it can also be used to entrench injustice. And I think that's what Scalia did, all through his career. And that's why I'm not ever going to praise him or even be silent for an hour to be "classy." He was awful and dangerous for this country and a force of injustice in the world. And we need to remember that and not praise him or stand by while he is being praised. Let's keep remembering that what is important is the march towards justice. Scalia was on the wrong side of history, pure and simple, and let's never forget that.

Best tweet.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBwDWwzqNhh/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

That IS the best tweet.

I don't understand the whole argument that I should respect people who just died if I didn't respect them while they were alive. Clearly, Scalia didn't care about my respect or approval while I was alive, I'm guessing he would care even less now that he's dead.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:01 am 
Semen Strong

Olives wrote:
I don't understand the whole argument that I should respect people who just died if I didn't respect them while they were alive. Clearly, Scalia didn't care about my respect or approval while I was alive, I'm guessing he would care even less now that he's dead.

Well, the argument is that it's to spare the feelings of his friends and family as they grieve. Which makes sense for a private person.

But with a public figure like Margaret Thatcher or Justice Scalia, the people they hurt over the length of their careers have the right to their reactions as well.

Justice Scalia made life a lot worse for real human beings and those people are allowed to be happy he is dead. And maybe seeing how despised he was for his awful positions and unkindness will make other conservatives think that they should live their lives in such a way as to be remembered well, as opposed to taking away the rights of people who desperately need them.

The Supreme Court used to be the part of government that acted as a check on partisan politics and did some things that were unpopular with those in power but so necessary for the minorities who were being deprived of rights, like Roe v. Wade or Brown vs Board of Ed. With the current climate of conservative unkindness that Scalia trumpeted the Supreme Court became a force to counter so much good that was done for those groups, and to roll back acquired gains, like the Voting Rights Act.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

He was also on a hunting trip so he enjoyed killing and inflicting pain on nonhuman animals too.

Has anyone seen the conspiracy theories yet? That Obama/Clinton killed him?

And I found the Republicans immediately using his death politically way more distasteful than the Liberals being glad he was dead.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:14 am 
WRETCHED

I think it is interesting that Republicans think that they can hold the Supreme court hostage until the next President is in office... a little over 11 months from now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:00 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Well, they've been holding the country hostage in their let's-bring-down-Obama-even-if-we-have-to-bring-down-the-whole-country-to-do-it policy since 2008, so why not just stay the course?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:37 am 
Semen Strong

It's easy! Obama proposes a nominee, the GOP asks for more and more info, drags out the nomination process until May and then rejects them. Then everything moves slow in the summer so they drag out the next candidate and reject them right before the election to see who gets in. Then block the next person for another 3 months et voila! Should only take 3-4 nominations!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:06 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Oh man, I just came in here to post about how Obama gets to pick the next justice before going out, but you guys are probably right. :(

Goddamn petulant GOP/pushover Dems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:46 pm 
Grandfathered In

It's infuriating that such a transparent lie—it's only right that Obama not nominate anyone before the end of his term (and the Republicans would naturally feel the same way if a member of their party were currently occupying the White House!)—can easily come to seem reasonable to so many people.

I can easily imagine people saying, "Yes, it's not appropriate for a president to nominate someone 'this close' to an election. Everyone knows that."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Sen. Elizabeth Warren's response was brilliant. https://www.facebook.com/senatorelizabe ... 9941101170

Quote:
The sudden death of Justice Scalia creates an immediate vacancy on the most important court in the United States.

Senator McConnell is right that the American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court justice. In fact, they did — when President Obama won the 2012 election by five million votes.

Article II Section 2 of the Constitution says the President of the United States nominates justices to the Supreme Court, with the advice and consent of the Senate. I can't find a clause that says "...except when there's a year left in the term of a Democratic President."

Senate Republicans took an oath just like Senate Democrats did. Abandoning the duties they swore to uphold would threaten both the Constitution and our democracy itself. It would also prove that all the Republican talk about loving the Constitution is just that — empty talk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:35 pm 
WRETCHED

I mean it isn't like there is a week left on his presidency but rather 25% of his elected time left, which is crazy to have him quit doing his job with so much time left.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I like Warrens response. That remake about people needing a say made me sputter with rage. I hadn't realized that Obama took office during a coup.

Ditto all the senators who represent their constituents during any hearings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:17 pm 
Grandfathered In

Unctious jackass Ted Cruz wrote:
Justice Scalia was an American hero. We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement.

Sure. Makes sense. I think we owe it to Scalia to fill his vacated seat with someone he would have approved of. Because that's... not how anything has ever worked.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

And I'm sure they will feel the same way when RBG's seat becomes open in the distant future.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:32 pm 
Taco Scientist

My favorite tweet was "I'm glad he lived long enough to see gay marriage become the law of the land" ha! And Jonah Ray's "Goodbye Justice Scalia, now go tell God what to do with her body." The guy not only stood in the way of of minorities, women, and gay people at every turn but also was key in the Bush vs Gore decision. He also brought the level of discourse down several pegs with his sarcastic decisions and attacks on liberals. I'm sure his family and friends loved him but he was a disaster our country and the court will be better off without him.

I thing the GOP Leadership should be arrested or indicted or fired or whatever for breaking the law by saying they won't approve of anyone Obama nominates.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:39 pm 
Semen Strong

FootFace wrote:
Unctious jackass Ted Cruz wrote:
Justice Scalia was an American hero. We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement.

Sure. Makes sense. I think we owe it to Scalia to fill his vacated seat with someone he would have approved of. Because that's... not how anything has ever worked.

Yes, like Clarence Thomas is in any relevant way a fitting replacement for Thurgood Marshall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:46 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

LazySmurf wrote:
My favorite tweet was "I'm glad he lived long enough to see gay marriage become the law of the land" ha! And Jonah Ray's "Goodbye Justice Scalia, now go tell God what to do with her body." The guy not only stood in the way of of minorities, women, and gay people at every turn but also was key in the Bush vs Gore decision. He also brought the level of discourse down several pegs with his sarcastic decisions and attacks on liberals. I'm sure his family and friends loved him but he was a disaster our country and the court will be better off without him.

I thing the GOP Leadership should be arrested or indicted or fired or whatever for breaking the law by saying they won't approve of anyone Obama nominates.

They so frequently just skirt the line. They are allowed to question and stop a candidate but it's purpose is to keep the candidates in the center as is fair and not hold the process up for almost 4 times as long as it's ever been held up before. Ever since Obama came into power every day they look for more and more ways to make sure as absolutely little compromise happens at all times.

Another positive side to his death puts the SCOTUS balance from 5 generally conservative 4 generally liberal to 4 to 4 and the massive record holding obstructions won't make them look good in areas that can go either way. Maybe we can take away some republican seats this time.