| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon May 02, 2016 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: 2016 US Election
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I know I became ridiculously addicted to the PPK's election thread in 2008 and 2012 - I thought it was a good place to discuss the events of the election and share links, etc. Let's do that again!

Where do you prefer to get political news and analysis? (Now that Jon Stewart is gone.)

Post subject: Re: 2016 US Election
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:13 am 
WRETCHED

Isn't it early? :)

I think we are registered as independents so I don't think I can vote in the primaries but very interesting to see who the democratic candidates will be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:13 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't particularly like any news source since they are all crappy in their own unique ways, so I read everything. Reuters is probably my favorite for even reporting, but I read CNN, BBC, and Foxnews everyday too. I especially like to read things I know I won't agree with to get the other angles; I can do my own analysis.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We just upgraded our cable service, and I am liking Al Jazerra America for more balanced news. CNN drives me crazy with all the arguing and yelling, plus going over the same things nonstop. It seems to resemble Fox News more every year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:22 pm 
A Bad Person

We have a TV at work that we have tuned to cable news throughout the day. Generally, it stays on CNN because I switch it to CNN every Monday morning. It causes the least discussion over what are we watching. But sometimes someone feels the need to change it and we end up putting up with some talking heads on MSNBC or Fox News. I wish we got BBC News or Al-Jazeera.

Since we have cable news on all day at work, I've had the pleasure of hearing about all of the Republican candidates. I have to keep reminding coworkers who say that Donald Trump is going to win it that Santorum looked pretty good at the start of the last election cycle and dropped off the radar almost immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yep, me too. And Michelle Bachmann had some steam too at first.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 pm 
Grandfathered In

Rick Perry was going like gangbusters for a while there in the 2012 campaign.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:27 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I just hope we can finally elect a white guy this time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:34 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Jill wrote:
We just upgraded our cable service, and I am liking Al Jazerra America for more balanced news. CNN drives me crazy with all the arguing and yelling, plus going over the same things nonstop. It seems to resemble Fox News more every year.

I don't get to see it because I don't have cable but one of the newscasters on Al Jazeera America (Libby Casey) was in my high school class. She's a real sweetheart.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

linanil wrote:

I think we are registered as independents so I don't think I can vote in the primaries but very interesting to see who the democratic candidates will be.

I just switched my party affiliation so I could vote in MD's closed primary. Really wish every state had open primaries.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:50 am 
WRETCHED

alden wrote:
linanil wrote:

I just switched my party affiliation so I could vote in MD's closed primary. Really wish every state had open primaries.

I'll look into it. I switched to independant because neither party impresses me but I vote democrat normally because it is the least scary option.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:52 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Primaries are so weird. It's like somebody sat down and devised a system that would distort voter preferences and encourage tactical voting to the greatest possible extent. And then everyone else was like, yeah, let's do that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:22 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

linanil wrote:
alden wrote:
linanil wrote:

I'll look into it. I switched to independant because neither party impresses me but I vote democrat normally because it is the least scary option.

I was registered as (I) too. I have the feeling that MD is going to be pretty split on the primary ticket, so I took the opportunity and switched. (not sure if you're a MD or DC resident, but if MD you just have to fill out this form: https://voterservices.elections.marylan ... tionsStep1 )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

mumbles wrote:
Primaries are so weird. It's like somebody sat down and devised a system that would distort voter preferences and encourage tactical voting to the greatest possible extent. And then everyone else was like, yeah, let's do that.

between this and the electoral college system, trying to explain american elections is a load of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:29 am 
Grandfathered In

The Electoral College. Bah! But how about the fact that there are actual, specific people (electors) who officially and formally cast those electoral votes, but aren't required to cast them according to the votes received?

Why do we need those people? Even if we ignore what doesn't make sense about the basic Electoral College system, why don't we just say that whoever wins State X's electoral votes just automatically gets them?

(I guess in some states, the electors can't just decide to cast their electoral votes for whoever. See http://www.archives.gov/federal-registe ... ctors.html. I stand by my position that this whole practice is archaic and silly.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The Electoral College makes me so angry... it's like the training wheels of elections. "We don't trust you to directly elect your leader, so we'll set up this ridiculous system in case we think we know better than you." The worst part is that it's a system that's unlikely to change too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:51 am 
WRETCHED

You would think we have evolved beyond the point that a state votes president vs people of the state. I'm sure the system was good when we had a huge country and main form of transport and communication was by horse and people within a state had more common interests but we are beyond that. I say we dump the electoral college.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:06 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I don't think it was ever a good system--it led to two constitutional crises within the first thirty years of its history. It's just an expression of the sniffy 18th century disdain for democracy on the part of our more aristocratic Holy Founding Fathers. These days, we try to pretend it isn't there, so it only causes the occasional outrage.

The depressing thing isn't just that we can't change it, but that people will actually defend it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mumbles wrote:
The depressing thing isn't just that we can't change it, but that people will actually defend it.

THIS. It would be the same nonsense of upholding the constitution as the framers intended - when they can't have fathomed the way that the world would change in the future.

As far as I understand primaries work almost the same way - It was exciting when Santos won the nomination on the West Wing but if something like that happened in real life we'd all be horrified.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:08 pm 
Hip Goiter

It would be lame to have another white man president, but goddammit if I don't love Bernie Sanders. LOVE. He's the only person actually looking at the financial system and coming up with actually decent solutions. and everything else.

Andy Samberg said at the Emmys that he always looks like his flight is delayed :D

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

You can check the registration requirements for your state primary, with information on how to change, here (http://voteforbernie.org/). Obviously, this is geared towards Bernie supporters, but the information provided is good unirregardlessally of your choice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:30 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Squeak wrote:
unirregardlessally

Um...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I find it hilarious how much the cable news networks were fawning over Hillary Clinton's performance last night. She came off like an entitled robot. I don't like Martin O'Malley much either, but I think if he would've been given the same amount of airtime, even he would've beat her performance. I'm as interested as the next awesome person in having a woman president, but it felt like she was riding her gender identity pretty hard for appeal instead of letting that be a subtext to her agenda as a candidate.

On another note, this almost makes him enjoyable:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:19 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

jordanpattern wrote:
Squeak wrote:
unirregardlessally

Um...

LOL

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:19 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Am I the only one who didn't think it was cool or funny when Clinton dodged questions about her emails? She knows she did something wrong. I think Americans deserve an appropriate answer about what she did instead of her saying "no" and shaking hands with Bernie Sanders (which was admittedly a brilliant political move, even if it made me want to barf).

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next