| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Opt Out Day
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

hailseitan wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Lining George Soros's pockets? I take it you mistyped "Michael Chertoff"?

http://tucsoncitizen.com/in-the-aggregate/2010/11/22/michael-chertoff-and-george-soros-tsa-scanning-device-profiteers/

I most certainly DO NOT want to get into this discussion, but I'm just saying... A LOT of shifty people are making a buck off of this.

http://mediamatters.org/iphone/blog/201011160015

I trust this more.

It's a link to their mobile site, so I don't know if it'll work on a computer.

I found it in 5 seconds on google, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

hailseitan wrote:
FootFace wrote:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/in-the-aggregate/2010/11/22/michael-chertoff-and-george-soros-tsa-scanning-device-profiteers/
I most certainly DO NOT want to get into this discussion, but I'm just saying... A LOT of shifty people are making a buck off of this.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201011160015
tl;dr? 11,300 shares = 0.06% of OSI Systems' outstanding shares. So.
It's worth noting that the author of the post you linked to is "Seeing Red AZ," and when you click the link to read more, it's just that person's blog. Said blog links to a story in the Washington Examiner, which is... not exactly a fair and balanced "news" source. Chertoff's involvement gets one sentence, while Soros' merits an entire paragraph. Yep, sounds about right.

eta - jinx, FF!

Last edited by stephanie on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

matwinser wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
hailseitan wrote:
But, because boycotting it IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME (like it probably isnt for most of you) I am going to continue to fly and put up with it until something can be done.

hailseitan wrote:
last time I checked EVERYONE has to do things they might not like to do, as I said before, Flying is a luxury, you ALWAYS have a choice to fly or not. Every example you have given of people who have "no choice" but to fly is ridiculous.

You seem confused.

Can I just echo this?

Mat.

then I will echo this.

not confused.

statement 1. The reason boycotting is not an option for me, is because I enjoy getting somewhere in 3 hours as oppose to 3 days. If I was THAT upset about the bodyscanners/grope sessions then I would not fly any longer. (my job does not require it. I realize this makes my decision MUCH easier than it would be otherwise)
statement 2. Regardless of if I like it or not, I will put up with the inconvenience of being searched so that I can achieve the CONVENIENCE of reaching my destination in a timely fashion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:39 pm 
ugh

hailseitan wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
hailseitan wrote:
But, because boycotting it IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME (like it probably isnt for most of you) I am going to continue to fly and put up with it until something can be done.

hailseitan wrote:
last time I checked EVERYONE has to do things they might not like to do, as I said before, Flying is a luxury, you ALWAYS have a choice to fly or not. Every example you have given of people who have "no choice" but to fly is ridiculous.

You seem confused.

not confused.

statement 1. The reason boycotting is not an option for me, is because I enjoy getting somewhere in 3 hours as oppose to 3 days. If I was THAT upset about the bodyscanners/grope sessions then I would not fly any longer. (my job does not require it. I realize this makes my decision MUCH easier than it would be otherwise)
statement 2. Regardless of if I like it or not, I will put up with the inconvenience of being searched so that I can achieve the CONVENIENCE of reaching my destination in a timely fashion.

So boycotting is an option for you, but you are choosing to fly instead, because of the reasons you stated. "Not convenient" is not the same as "not an option." I'm surprised you would say that you don't have a choice after so many posts about how everybody has a choice!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Last edited by b.vicious on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huffs Nutritional Yeast

stephanie wrote:
hailseitan wrote:
FootFace wrote:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201011160015
tl;dr? 11,300 shares = 0.06% of OSI Systems' outstanding shares. So.
It's worth noting that the author of the post you linked to is "Seeing Red AZ," and when you click the link to read more, it's just that person's blog. Said blog links to a story in the Washington Examiner, which is... not exactly a fair and balanced "news" source. Chertoff's involvement gets one sentence, while Soros' merits an entire paragraph. Yep, sounds about right.

eta - jinx, FF!

1. I do not want to get into this discussion. I am tired of the current one already
2. owning ANY portion allows for profits
3. I just googled that, It wasnt a place that I get my information from on a regular basis. I just wanted to prove that there are A LOT of different people getting rich off of this. Not just one man.
4. I am not some crazy conservative who geeks out over some creepy right wing blog. On the contrary I think my political views are typically VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY leftist and I understand about the bias of the media. I have yet to see a news source that wasnt biased.

Naked Under Apron

hailseitan wrote:

then I will echo this.

not confused.

statement 1. The reason boycotting is not an option for me, is because I enjoy getting somewhere in 3 hours as oppose to 3 days.

So it is an option, just not a palatable one?

There are people (myself included) who have to fly for work and it really is not an option to take days to get to an office rather than hours.

I think we can all agree that the scanners are pretty shitty and not a great deal for anyone. Although I have a Prince Albert so at least they'll have something decorative to look at.

Mat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

b.vicious wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
hailseitan wrote:

hailseitan wrote:

You seem confused.

not confused.

So boycotting is an option for you, but you are choosing to fly instead, because of the reasons you stated. "Not convenient" =/= "not an option." I'm surprised you would suggestion that you don't have a choice after so many posts about how everybody has a choice![/quote]

honestly, that is EXACTLY what I am saying.
I have a choice. I am CHOOSING to fly. BECAUSE taking a snowmobile to japan is NOT an option for me. SO since I am going to be a PATRON of the airline industry, I am going to have to play by the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have to fly internationally , usually overseas, for work about 6-8 times a year. If I were to choose not to fly I would lose my job, a job I'm trained for and have been working for 8 years. I don't feel that flying can be reasonably called a luxury when for so many people it's a nessecary part of life .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

matwinser wrote:
hailseitan wrote:

then I will echo this.

not confused.

statement 1. The reason boycotting is not an option for me, is because I enjoy getting somewhere in 3 hours as oppose to 3 days.

So it is an option, just not a palatable one?

There are people (myself included) who have to fly for work and it really is not an option to take days to get to an office rather than hours.

I think we can all agree that the scanners are pretty shitty and not a great deal for anyone. Although I have a Prince Albert so at least they'll have something decorative to look at.

Mat.

agreed.
The scanners are shitty. I am not excited about the prospect of having to deal with them.
I think they will also enjoy the shiny spots on my christmas tree of a vagina.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

OK, Marvellous, so everyone is happy.

Can we move on now?

Mat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

matwinser wrote:
OK, Marvellous, so everyone is happy.

Can we move on now?

Mat.

i would just love that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:49 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Well, luckily for me, I don't have children to travel with (and even if I did, I would clearly just leave them at home alone, it worked in that one movie), or a job that requires me to fly, so I will exercise my right to be an unreasonable person and not get stared at and groped while I cry. Everyone wins!

And now i'm banning myself from this thread.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My parents flew today, and while our airport does not (yet) have a full body scanner my mom got the "pat down" because she was wearing a sweatshirt. So I guess, beware wearing slightly baggy clothes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't know if I missed it in this thread but I just saw this clip of Adam Savage talking about how he accidently smuggled 12 inch blades on the plane.

This is something I often think about while standing in the TSA line, they are so busy arguing with people about whether peanut butter is a liquid or a solid and checking out people's bodies that one might imagine they are even more likely to miss weapons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:19 pm 

Rach*n wrote:
My parents flew today, and while our airport does not (yet) have a full body scanner my mom got the "pat down" because she was wearing a sweatshirt. So I guess, beware wearing slightly baggy clothes.

I readthat you are also not allowed to wear underwire bras

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LazySmurf wrote:
I don't know if I missed it in this thread but I just saw this clip of Adam Savage talking about how he accidently smuggled 12 inch blades on the plane.

This is something I often think about while standing in the TSA line, they are so busy arguing with people about whether peanut butter is a liquid or a solid and checking out people's bodies that one might imagine they are even more likely to miss weapons.

In 2004ish, I flew under a ticket with my father's name. And they didn't notice until I tried to fly back. And then there was a silly rigamarole wherein the ticket agent tried to determine if I was going to blow up the plane or if my dad is really just an idiot who put the wrong name on my eticket and the five people who looked at my ticket in Philadelphia didn't notice the wrong name. And then the ticket agent solved everything by asking if I would swear on a bible that I really flew under the ticket the first time. And I lied and said I would, even though I really wouldn't. It's a good thing she didn't have a bible with her that day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I got two cig lighters on a plane once on accident. And I've brought tons of knitting needles, which are allowed but seem pretty dangerous, right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:59 pm 
Grandfathered In

Am I wrong, or is the reason we can't bring shampoo on planes anymore because a would-be plot to use some kind of liquid to blow up a plan was discovered in England?

They hadn't done it, or obtained supplies, or (maybe?) even known how to pull it off. But the threat (or the threat of a threat?) was enough to make us lose our collective shiitake.

So how long before some enterprising young terrorists (or just douchebags) fabricate a plot to bring explosives onto planes by smuggling them up their asparagi? And if that happens, what then? How will we keep American aircraft safe from the buttbombers?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:06 pm 
Chard Martyr

FootFace wrote:
How will we keep American aircraft safe from the buttbombers?

Someone sig this, please.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:08 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

In 2004ish, I flew under a ticket with my father's name. And they didn't notice until I tried to fly back. And then there was a silly rigamarole wherein the ticket agent tried to determine if I was going to blow up the plane or if my dad is really just an idiot who put the wrong name on my eticket and the five people who looked at my ticket in Philadelphia didn't notice the wrong name. And then the ticket agent solved everything by asking if I would swear on a bible that I really flew under the ticket the first time. And I lied and said I would, even though I really wouldn't. It's a good thing she didn't have a bible with her that day.

That is the most ridiculous story I have ever heard. Good thing they didn't know you were Jewish! The last time I went through, when I got in the argument about the peanut butter, I accidently sneaked through my giant metal bottle of water.

But that guy had razors!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:08 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

CAPITAL letters!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:19 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

LazySmurf wrote:
Rach*n wrote:

Well my tits are forked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
Rach*n wrote:

Well my tits are forked.

So... going to the airport now is like going to some prisons? (I went for an internship, people, not for incarceration.)
I mean, the pat-down sounds more intrusive at the airport, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:42 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

just mumbles wrote:
CAPITAL letters!

You, sir, have been sigged.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Well, I fly bright and early tomorrow morning. Good people of hte ppk, whatever should I wear?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next