| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Cuts On Research.eu (petition)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm aware that the EU won't pay attention to this petition (which will probably be a wasted effort), and yet I want to share it! I don't like to be a petition spammer, but I know that a lot of you PPKers actually care about science: you know that cuts on research, innovation and education are counter-productive as they will aggravate the problems instead of finding solutions!

You can read here the open letter to the EU Heads of States and Governments (signed by Nobel laureates and fields medalists). Here's an excerpt:
no-cuts-on-research.eu wrote:
It is often said that every crisis also presents an opportunity. The current crisis forces us to make choices, and one of those choices is about science and its support. Back in the year 2000, you and your predecessors set yourselves the target of becoming the “world's most dynamic knowledge-based economy by 2010”. The intention was ambitious and noble, but the goal has yet to be achieved.

Science can help us find answers to many of the pressing problems facing us at this time: new ways to harness energy, new forms of production and products, improved ways to understand how societies function and how we might order them better. We are just at the start of a revolutionary new understanding of how our own bodies work with incalculable consequences for our future health and longevity.

Note: you don't need to be an european researcher to sign the petition ;)

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]