| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Breaking News Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

At the end of the day, who is called in to break up a strike? The police. Who is called in to smash anti-capitalist movements like Occupy? The police. However nice they are as individual people, there job makes them tools of the 1 percent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:10 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Ariann wrote:
I would say the law's primary job historically is enforcing property rights - its role is obviously expanded at this point. BUT, cops on the beat are more involved with maintaining social order and that OFTEN involves a huge proportion of their job being positive interactions with people who are in a bad place. In New York many cops spend a lot of time working on getting homeless people to resources because that's their actual job and why they're on the street. It does not benefit anybody to have homeless, mentally ill, or addicted people starving or freezing to death on the streets.

I would imagine most cops would say they got into the profession because they wanted to help people.

This.

Thessaly wrote:
There's unemployed and then there's living on the street. You're not exactly spare labor when you don't have clean clothes for an interview, a permanent address, or regular access to a shower. Or if you're off your meds. Corporations benefit a lot more from underemployed people in relatively stable situations who are willing to take second part time jobs without benefits for minimum wage.

oh also this ^

I know it's convenient to make everything an us vs them situation, 99% vs 1% but the reality is not nearly that simple. Or maybe I'm just glad there were police to respond when a neighbor couldn't handle his addiction and broke into the three neighbor's houses that surround my house while my wife was home alone because I was 7000 miles away in Afghanistan. I guess I'm also glad there were police around to respond when my mom and step-dad were mugged at gunpoint a few years back.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:12 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

JonnyWoop wrote:
At the end of the day, who is called in to break up a strike? The police. Who is called in to smash anti-capitalist movements like Occupy? The police. However nice they are as individual people, there job makes them tools of the 1 percent.

they were also called in to save my asparagus at one in the morning when the guy who had just robbed me started banging my head into the sidewalk. whoever they were tools of that night, i'm real forking glad they were out on the street doing their job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:15 pm 

alden wrote:
Or maybe I'm just glad there were police to respond when a neighbor couldn't handle his addiction and broke into the three neighbor's houses that surround my house while my wife was home alone because I was 7000 miles away in Afghanistan. I guess I'm also glad there were police around to respond when my mom and step-dad were mugged at gunpoint a few years back.

I wasn't trying to say that a lot of their work isn't beneficial. And I wasn't trying to say they are bad people as individuals. I was just trying to say that when the shiitake hits the fan, their primary role is protect the privileges of the 1 percent. I'm sorry for any confusion I caused. Anyway, I'm too lazy to get in a debate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

JonnyWoop wrote:

Yeah, and? You're a tool and I'm a tool, too. How does that advance the conversation? People have jobs and most jobs suck occasionally and some people suck at doing their jobs. It doesn't mean it's appropriate to describe police as a group like this:

JonnyWoop wrote:
It's newsworthy because for once the cops aren't beating people up.

when they're engaged in a lot of good a lot of the time and are necessary and important first responders to suffering people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:17 pm 

acr wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

they were also called in to save my asparagus at one in the morning when the guy who had just robbed me started banging my head into the sidewalk. whoever they were tools of that night, i'm real forking glad they were out on the street doing their job.

Again, I wasn't trying to say a lot of their work isn't beneficial. Sorry for the confusion. I don't want to get into a debate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

maybe it's not what you were trying to say, but it is what you initially said. we aren't confused.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 pm 

OK, last comment before I leave this. For the record, I have had some personal experience with police. Last year they clubbed me with batons, dragged me on the pavement, cut my backpack off with a blade, and broke my glasses. I was thrown in jail for 40 hours. All for expressing my right to freedom of speech and assembly. It just so happened that NYC's billionaire mayor didn't like the message.

I'm not saying the police don't do a lot of great work. I just believe at the end of the day, their primary reason for being is protecting the power of the rich.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

JonnyWoop wrote:
linanil wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
It's newsworthy because for once the cops aren't beating people up.

Look, I grew up scared of cops but you know what, there are bad seeds in every profession where power comes into play. Whether it is a doctor, a politician, a copy, whatever.

It's totally true that not all cops are dicks. But I think their main job is enforcing property rights and the resulting economic inequality. So they're a reactionary force as a whole. And they broke my glasses at Occupy! But I was mostly being snarky.

I think it's more apt to say that their primary role is to protect the interests of those in power.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:17 pm 
WRETCHED

Our legal system isn't perfect, our law enforcement isn't perfect. Despite not being perfect, it can be influenced by the people. If you lived in a country without law enforcement, where people start with noble goals but end up being worse than any law enforcement, maybe you would feel differently. Even in the US, if you grew up in a neighborhood where criminals ran rampant or where being shot in a random shooting was a real possibility, maybe you'd feel differently.

Also being part of law enforcement can't be an easy job. You are the one that may take away someone's brother, sister, mother, father, daughter, son, etc. You may also kill in the line of duty or you may be killed. You may go into the job for good but then end up being seen as the enemy. I just say cut them a little slack.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I teach in a school with a sizable disadvantaged population. We also have gang issues. Needless to say, this often results in lots of perfectly law abiding kids get a raw deal sometimes since people. Are assumptions. The school security officers are police officers assigned to the school and those men and women are amazing with the kids. They strive to make all their interactions super positive. It is not uncommon to see them laughing and joking with the kids. They also teach the criminal justice classes, and, as a result, those electives are super, super popular.

The cool thing is that the kids trust the officers, so serious issues are almost always dealt with quietly, safely, and quickly. And, I assume, fairly, given that the officers remain well-liked and respected by most kids, including the ones who are always getting hauled out of class for various things.

Bottom line is those officers request the school assignment specifically because they care about and want to help kids.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 pm 

I keep waiting for it to be revealed that this is an Onion parody.

During Cold War hysteria, US considered nuking the moon
http://rt.com/usa/news/us-moon-nuclear-project-631/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:42 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Big foot. They found DNA. Its real? Well, its not passed peer review...http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/Was- ... 10003KNGW2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:39 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Santorum gets gig at world net daily - http://bobcesca.com/blog-archives/2012/ ... g-for.html

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:46 pm 

Wait, not everyone loves it when Americans blast away at poor people of color in far off countries in an effort to secure imperialist dominance?

http://gawker.com/5966599/kill-those-fu ... rapper-psy

ETA: I definitely don't approve of murder. I just can't stand the hypocrisy of American outrage at violence (and in this case, merely verbal violence) directed at us when we have far more blood on our hands than anybody.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think most issues are a bit more gray than they are black and white. I've known good and bad people. Unfortunately the good people have to share the planet with the bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:30 am 
Seagull of the PPK

file under breaking news

http://inothernewz.com/japanese-navy-re ... f-okinawa/

Quote:
OKINAWA, JAPAN- Japanese Navy officials have released the first ever photo of the UFO that crashed off the coast of Okinawa yesterday. The photo appears grainy and somewhat unclear since the vessel is submerged underwater but clearly shows a power source still glowing brightly atop the aircraft’s dome.

“We wanted to release this photo to the world and confirm the reports issued yesterday,” said Japanese Navy spokesman Yoshido Hari. “This picture will give credence to what some of our citizens living on Okinawa witnessed yesterday. We clearly still have many days of salvaging ahead of us but we will take our time and bring the aircraft up in one piece. We must preserve the object as much as possible.”

Numerous reports began to circulate around the globe yesterday about a possible UFO crash off the coast of Okinawa. Many people, including the mainstream media, believed the reports to be false or an elaborate prank. The picture snapped by Japanese Navy divers will put those thoughts of falsity to rest.

“This is not a joke,” said Hari, speaking candidly to reporters. “We have clear evidence at the bottom of the ocean that indicates UFO presence. What the world once thought virtually impossible is now a reality. It is up to us to preserve that reality in order to study the structure of the vessel and perhaps even the alien lifeforms inhabiting it.”

Several scientists from the United States have already been dispatched by the U.S. government and will arrive in Tokyo sometime today. It is unclear, however, if the vessel will be moved to the capital city for further study and research or if it will remain housed in a hangar on Okinawa.

“At this early junction, we can’t say for sure where we will be conducting our studies,” said Hari. “Our main objective at the moment is salvaging the giant aircraft in one piece. We must get it out of the water before saltwater eats away critical pieces. Obviously, keeping the structure intact would be optimal.”

Asked if the Japanese Navy had any intentions of releasing future photos of the downed UFO, Hari commented, “At this time we have no other photos to release. The water is somewhat murky and the picture released to the world this morning is the best quality available at this time. We will try to produce other photos of the vessel as conditions improve.”

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda is expected to arrive on the small island sometime tomorrow to speak with Navy representatives regarding the salvaging of the UFO. Needless to say, the Japanese government has a huge interest in preserving the aircraft as it will be used for future research endeavors.

Please keep checking back for further updates as they become available.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:44 am 
WRETCHED

Interesting, apparently the US government wasn't quick enough to stop that story? That photo is pretty bad too.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I've seen a UFO close up and I'm pretty sure they are man made. Impressive but man made. Not that I think we are alone in this universe but saying things are UFOs is easier than saying we have technology that we'd prefer you not know about.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

That picture reminds me... I need to get a mammogram.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
Interesting, apparently the US government wasn't quick enough to stop that story? That photo is pretty bad too.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I've seen a UFO close up and I'm pretty sure they are man made. Impressive but man made. Not that I think we are alone in this universe but saying things are UFOs is easier than saying we have technology that we'd prefer you not know about.

My dad is into UFOs. My mom and I laugh at him because we are mean. He has apparently witnessed no less than 3 of the famous events, including a statewide one in Ohio in the 40s. I'm guessing it was that one, as a child, that sparked his interest. He insists he has an implant, but we are pretty sure he is joking about that. Pretty sure.

He worked near Area 51 for a while, processing completely blacked out personnel documents; that didn't help. he did say it was the most boring job ever since data entry from blacked out documents doesn't leave much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The House of Lords restaurant is removing foie gras from their menu completely:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... paign.html