| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Diego Christian College to women: f you
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 am 
Grandfathered In

They fire a 29-year-old woman because she's pregnant and not married and, therefore, is guilty of the unpardonable sin of premarital sex. Then they offer her job to the dude she got pregnant with.

Cool!

Post subject: Re: San Diego Christian College to women: f you
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:

Well, to be fair, they don't have any concrete evidence that he was having sex.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 am 
WRETCHED

bekki wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Well, to be fair, they don't have any concrete evidence that he was having sex.

True, could've been anybody's child.

Also, I thought I knew all San Diego colleges, never heard of this one (current name or previous name).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 pm 
Grandfathered In

Jezebel article wrote:
James' employers were aware that he was her partner and had fathered her child, meaning that they were aware that he had also had premarital sex.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

What FootFace said, plus I doubt they bothered to ask her if she had been raped or used reproductive technology.

Yay Christianity!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Or if she had immaculately conceived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Not that this isn't ridiculous, but she signed their morality clause. Presumably that means she would have expected others to also adhere to it, and is ok with women being lesser beings, at least until it happened to her.

I'm not overflowing with sympathy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

So it's okay that afterwards they offer the guy who impregnated her the job? Sexism is the issue here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Of course it isn't okay. But I'm still not overflowing with sympathy or outrage when a woman who willingly and happily participates in this sort of patriarchal system gets burned by it. Presumably she shares all of the values espoused by the school, or else she lied that she did in order to get the job. The fact that women are treated badly and bear the burden for most "sins" really isn't news to someone in her situation.

I've seen this situation play out at Liberty. Everyone agrees with the rules and lifestyle and slams others who don't until they get caught in the situation themselves.

I'm just tempering my outrage due to context.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You can also go to their website and see which majors and courses they restrict for women. they don't seem as awful as some, but it's still pretty clear what their position in even if they don't funnel women into "church secretary" courses.

http://www.sdcc.edu/Content.aspx?m=bibl ... &id=2558#3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 am 
WRETCHED

I was mostly joking about them not knowing it was him but honestly, I'm not surprised. Plus I'm sure they don't want her pregnant, unmarried self around as a reminder... or something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:30 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

lavawitch wrote:
Of course it isn't okay. But I'm still not overflowing with sympathy or outrage when a woman who willingly and happily participates in this sort of patriarchal system gets burned by it. Presumably she shares all of the values espoused by the school, or else she lied that she did in order to get the job. The fact that women are treated badly and bear the burden for most "sins" really isn't news to someone in her situation.

I've seen this situation play out at Liberty. Everyone agrees with the rules and lifestyle and slams others who don't until they get caught in the situation themselves.

I'm just tempering my outrage due to context.

Yeah, but you of all people know how hard and shitty it can be to get work teaching. You do what you have to do to get by. Lots of people sign contracts they don't really agree with because they need the job.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:53 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

What JoPa said. Sometimes a job's a job.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Their biggest problem is that they are claiming they fired her for having premarital sex but offered a job to the guy who got her pregnant.

From other interviews with her, it appears that she did take the job because she needed a job and that was the only thing she could find. Sometimes we do things we don't want to do when we need the money.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I know people who work at similar schools. You need letters from your pastors etc and have to prove your commitment to things like pray away the gay, etc. Somebody without this background is not going to get hired, no matter how desperately they want or need the job. It is not as simple as just signing a pledge. They usually also interview your pastor. We have a lot of the high schools here (similar world view as SDCC) and their application packets are page after page of essays and interviews and letters about your worldview. They are more concerned with you believing everything Paul ever said, young Earth creationism etc, than your credentials teaching. If you don't have a recommendation from your family pastor, you can't even apply. If you have all of those things, then you've been living your life based on principles that hold up men as the final say.

I'm being a total bisque here, but I just find these places pretty poisonous below the surface. I don't support their platforms and I'm not shocked or surprised when they treat people like crepe, especially women, since submission is a big part of their doctrine. My roommates bf was forced through Liberty to "cure" him so his family wouldn't have to disown him. Liberty and SDCC are similar in that they are on the more liberal end of the evangelical college spectrum.

That doesn't mean I don't wish the woman and her new family well. It just means I'm not shocked. Go anywhere with a strict evangelical culture (like this part of Va) and this is pretty much business as usual. Change has to come from within, not from us being outraged.

Blame my vitriol for being told at a young age that my mother was evil and I'd go to hell because I rode my bicycle with a neighbor boy, and swam at the pool. My dad was to be sympathized with because he had evil women in his house.

Vantine: do you have a link to that interview? I'm just having a really hard time seeing how anyone not fully onboard with the belief system would get hired. That's just not how these schools work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I will try to find it but I just kept clicking on links in the other interviews.

I know that Right To Life interviews you about your beliefs and needs to be convinced that you will be on board with their agenda because anyone needs to be able to speak to a potential "client."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I mean, I know I'm being a bisque here. I just have zero tolerance for the world view espoused by places like this. Its not like they do their own thing and leave everyone else alone. The stance on gay rights alone revolts me the point of not having a lot of perspective. Also, if you read their handbook, they talk a lot about modesty. Ostensibly, it's a blanket discussion for men and women, but, oddly, most of the rules are for women. They also have blurbs about modesty being a matter of respect for others. What this really means is that women are responsible for guarding men from their temptations. If a woman shows a collarbone and a man thinks a lustful thought, its the woman's fault because she should have taken more care. Not a stretch to apply this thinking to sex also. Liberty has the same stuff in their handbook; they all do since it's a foundational thing.

Funny story. One of the reasons my friend was eventually kicked out of Liberty was because he loved to go to R movies in Lunchburg and got a kick out using his college ID for the student discount. Of course, he never ran into people he knew, but a theater employee turned him in for restaurant gift cards. This was 10 yrs ago. They've supposedly loosened up a little in the snitching, but I think it's still part of the culture of "holding each other accountable." He also got turned in by his roommate for having a Cyndi Lauper cd. He has a whole collection of sadly hilarious demerit and reprimand letters from his time there.

I do hope she wins her case. I also hope that she and others reflect on all of the ways this culture is damaging to women.

(I've had my share of soul crushing jobs and had trouble finding jobs, but personally, I would seek public assistance, do any odd job and/or starve before agree to sign and work for a homophobic and mysogynistic organization. Sure, I know it's easy to say that, but there is no way I *could* lie my way through such an interview process and convincingly talk about women according to Paul, the earth being 6,000 yrs old, and kick all of my GBLT friends and family members under a bus.)

To be clear: I'm not saying she deserved to be treated like this. It's more of an eye roll and "I'm not surprised, and honestly, she probably really shouldn't be either."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:54 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lavawitch wrote:
You can also go to their website and see which majors and courses they restrict for women. they don't seem as awful as some, but it's still pretty clear what their position in even if they don't funnel women into "church secretary" courses.

http://www.sdcc.edu/Content.aspx?m=bibl ... &id=2558#3

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that the FAQ LW linked to has both a question about how good your grades need to be to get into seminary, as well as a question about how a person can ensure that they are hmgoing to heaven.

This just tickles me.