| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fur Being Fashionable is Making Me Crazy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:25 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I've been anti-fur since I watched Fox and the Hound when I was three. It was never a problem when I lived close to Portland; I almost never real fur on someone's clothes, and very rarely a full fur coat.

Then I moved to Toronto three years ago and I am so fixated on fur, it's unhealthy. This is a very fashion-driven city. Out of every ten people in winter (especially where I live), at least two or three are wearing Canada Goose or similar jackets, which have coyote, fox, raccoon dog (labeled as "Asiatic raccoon), or some other animal's fur on the collar. I see a full fur coat about once every few days.

Then there are these: http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/syste ... le-hat.jpg
And similar items that aren't even trying to market themselves as warm. Some winter jackets have fur trim that plunges down the neck line to the waist, and I always see them on women wearing too much makeup and too much perfume.

I was not made for city living, apparently. :(

Anyone have some coping mechanisms for things that really bother you? After posting the city with #makefurhistory posters only to have them ripped down the next day, I'm quickly running out of ideas and sanity; I'm normally not this neurotic even about issues I care about.

Post subject: Re: Fur Being Fashionable is Making Me Crazy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:53 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I also live in Toronto and I spend a lot of the winter being sad/angry at people wearing fur. Especially on the TTC when you are crammed on to a crowded subway and someone's dead animal fur is in your face. Or in my neighbourhood where everyone walking their dog is wearing fur. Argh.

I wish I had better coping mechanisms. I used to go to anti-fur protests/rallys but I found it really hard when a bunch of people would walk by wearing fur and either laugh at or ignore the signs.

Also I am really judgmental toward people that wear fur and there are a few people in my office that wear Canada Goose jackets and I have trouble talking to them.

Sorry, this post isn't that helpful. I guess I'm co-miserating with you.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:36 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Interesting. I have never seen anyone in a full fur coat, and maybe rarely someone with a fur collar. I used to wear vintage fur pieces (the kind that still have faces on them) and everyone I met was totally creeped out by them, some quite vocally so (and they weren't even vegetarian!) But I didn't live in the big city, either.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:44 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

lobsteriffic wrote:
Sorry, this post isn't that helpful. I guess I'm co-miserating with you.

Honestly your post made me feel a little bit better. I know there are other Torontonians who are anti-fur and I always think "why doesn't this seem to bother anyone else?" I seem to notice fur more and more every winter and it can't be healthy to fixate so much. I can't help but stamp some pretty nasty judgments on people who wear fur, even if they may not know it's real fur or they may have received an item as a gift.

Butter, it wouldn't bother me as much if I thought they were vintage, but these are mostly new fur-trim jackets like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DSq7VcEjn_o/U ... arka_3.JPG
I don't even think they look attractive :|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:25 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

You're definitely not alone! I fixate on it a lot too and wonder the same thing, how it's probably really unhealthy for me. But how can you not? It's so in your face everywhere you look in this city!

At least now with the warmer weather we'll see less of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:48 am 
WRETCHED

I've been anti-fur since I was a kid (turned vegan at 31... so not related). I was kind of shocked at how much fur I saw in NYC when I went one winter. But even in DC, you'll see it occasionally. I saw one lady in Whole Foods with a full length fur coat and I was a bit surprised (I live in the suburbs). Anyway, I try my best to ignore it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:07 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Boston is full of this, too. I see women in full length fur coats, fur trim and those stupid Canada Goose jackets are EVERYWHERE. All I do is roll my eyes and try to ignore them. There isn't really much you can do. I think you're already doing everything you can.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:16 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Another I-have-no-advice-but-I-can-commiserate voice. I live in London Ontario but am in Toronto frequently. Both cities are RIFE with stupid Canada Goose jackets and other fur. I get super fixated on it as well when I see someone wear fur and start getting really upset and will stare them down and roll my eyes and talk loudly about how ugly and awful fur is in hopes they hear me. I've never actually confronted someone, I'm far more passive aggressive about it. I just try to make them feel really uncomfortable so they understand that some people find what they're wearing barbaric.

The man who runs the gallery my husband shows his art at wears a forking floor length full fur coat in the winter. We both have a really hard time with being nice enough to maintain the fruitful business relationship with him when he trots around town looking like the biggest tool in his fur coat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I do think that a lot of CG wearers don't realize that they're wearing real fur - they jumped on the trend bandwagon and that was it.

The worst is seeing someone in a CG who is walking their dog. It makes me ill.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:14 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yes! Or going into establishments that have very clear anti-fur signage on the door like Urban Herbivore in Kensington or Veg Out here in London. Like, it just doesn't compute with them that they're actually wearing fur.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You guys, when I met up with my dad and his girlfriend in Toronto in February, we were about to go out and the girlfriend says to me "Um... you're not going to like this but..." and she pulls on a full length fur coat and matching fur hat. Apparently, they were a gift from her ex. She clearly was looking for me to tell her it was ok, which I didn't, but I also am trying to keep peace with this person as she is the one who will be taking care of my much older father in his last years (she's in her 50s and he's 88), so I basically tried to ignore it. But guys, I was so mortified walking around town with her in this coat and I almost died when we were meeting at Fresh and she walked in in that monstrosity. Just.. I...

She kept saying things like "Everyone is giving me dirty looks. Someone is going to throw paint on me." And in Fresh "I guess this is not the best place to wear this coat". Um no. No it isn't. And if you're so worried about it, maybe you shouldn't wear it. Ugh.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:51 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I work at a pet food store in an expensive part of the city (which I guess is most parts..) and I see lots of people come in wearing fur on their jackets with their dogs on a leash. One woman who mentioned her Canada Goose coat to me in passing said that it was a gift, and she felt bad that it had coyote fur on it. I told her I would have returned it. She said she couldn't, so I reminded her the trim was removable and she said she had forgotten about that.

So I guess they're not all ignorant.. just most of them..

Actually I feel a lot worse when I see the raccoon dog fur because I know it's all coming from China. Dyed fox fur drives me nuts too. At least the coyotes had a chance at a real life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Moon wrote:
The worst is seeing someone in a CG who is walking their dog. It makes me ill.

That is the one group of people where I've had really good success with gently pointing out that they are wearing dog fur and having them say they're going to take it home and never wear it again. The full length fur people are really nasty and defensive and they know what they are doing. But the people with dog fur trim, walking dogs, make the connection really easily and seem truly shocked and committed to never wearing it again.

I love leafletting with anti-fur stuff, because the vast majority of people really do think it's terrible. I wish that were the case with other forms of abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:48 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My first winter in Toronto I used to leave anti-fur leaflets (particularly targeting Canada Goose) around but in my experience, the CG folks knew what they were wearing and would just laugh or whatever.

Also, on the topic of Fresh restaurants in Toronto, the owner wears a CG coat and WORE IT TO A VEGAN BAKING COMPETITION where she was the guest of honour! I don't really believe that she didn't realize what she was doing. I mean, her restaurants are still great places that expose people to delicious vegan food, but it still makes me roll my eyes.