| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Explosions at Boston Marathon finish line
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Is there any more talk about his accomplices or is this absolutely done?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:59 pm 
Naked Under Apron

VFR, you can leave your house! I am so relieved. I know we all want answers, and I hope we can get some.

I still can't reconcile the pictures of this baby-faced, allegedly gentle kid with the things he's accused of doing. So sad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Amy wrote:

I still can't reconcile the pictures of this baby-faced, allegedly gentle kid with the things he's accused of doing. So sad.

this was all i could think of every time they showed that damn picture! so young and he looked so sweet!
you have to wonder what happened in their life to turn to such ugly violence. i really hope they get some answers out of him.

watching all the people in the street cheering the different police agencies as they leave is pretty cool.

everyone in Boston and the surrounding areas need to go get a big drink!
several shots for the peeps of Watertown!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:
Is there any more talk about his accomplices or is this absolutely done?

They took 3 people into FBI custody today in New Bedford (2 men and a woman). I think they're going on the assumption that there could have been many people involved, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were questioning more people in the coming days.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Relieved for everyone involved (the guy included) that they took him in alive.

Hell of a week. I hope the next few days are calmer for everyone in the Boston area (not sure how they could not be at this point).

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

It's like a huge party in the street on Mt Auburn, it's crazy! Every tme any official vehicle comes through every cheers! I got interviewed by Channel 7 Australia! Look for meeeeeeeeeeee

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

I AM SO HAPPY THAT I WANT TO CRY!

The owner of that boat was bold! If I had seen blood leading into my boat, I would have ran back in and just called the police, not actually peek inside.

I want to know how a 19 year old gets to a place like this. He looks SO young and people talked about him so highly, said he stood up for other people. How do you get from that to this?

And I'm really scared about what's going to come next- I'm afraid of racist retaliations. I'm afraid of nationalist bullshiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:04 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I AM SO HAPPY THAT I WANT TO CRY!

The owner of that boat was bold! If I had seen blood leading into my boat, I would have ran back in and just called the police, not actually peek inside.

I want to know how a 19 year old gets to a place like this. He looks SO young and people talked about him so highly, said he stood up for other people. How do you get from that to this?

And I'm really scared about what's going to come next- I'm afraid of racist retaliations. I'm afraid of nationalist bullshiitake.
Yes, I think the question we need to ask and answer is why and how this young kid got to a place where he was capable of being involved in such a horrendous thing. There is nothing to celebrate tonight except the imminent danger being over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The media seems to just be like "Oh they're Muslim, that explains it." But its so shaky at best. They're Chechens, but not actually from Chechnya, and grew up here. While they seemed really interested in their heritage (pretty understandable given the horrific crimes committed against the Chechens), what does that have to do with the Boston Marathon?

Apparently Fox News tried to explain how Chechens aren't caucasian. Because Chechnya isn't in the Caucasus region or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh my god it's over. I can't work out whether to laugh hysterically or cry out of relief and exhaustion. This ended up going down less than a mile from my parents' house where I grew up.

But also can't imagine how this could be a 19 year old kid. I was just starting college and knew nothing of the world when I was 19. It just doesn't compute.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

Shy Mox wrote:
The media seems to just be like "Oh they're Muslim, that explains it." But its so shaky at best. They're Chechens, but not actually from Chechnya, and grew up here. While they seemed really interested in their heritage (pretty understandable given the horrific crimes committed against the Chechens), what does that have to do with the Boston Marathon?

Apparently Fox News tried to explain how Chechens aren't caucasian. Because Chechnya isn't in the Caucasus region or anything.

All of this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Amy wrote:

Yeah, a guy on Reddit posted a picture captioned "I played soccer with the Boston bomber". There he is, with a bunch of high school kids. How does that happen?

http://i.imgur.com/N1A60gA.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:16 am 
Saggy Butt

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
I got interviewed by Channel 7 Australia! Look for meeeeeeeeeeee

I don't know what you look like. You weren't wearing a red hoodie with a zip down the front were you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Desdemona wrote:
Yes, I think the question we need to ask and answer is why and how this young kid got to a place where he was capable of being involved in such a horrendous thing. There is nothing to celebrate tonight except the imminent danger being over.

This. (Doubtful it will happen, though, given the current state of mass media.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:36 am 
Impressive boner

I'm going to ask a couple of questions from a purely curious point of view - I don't know a lot about what's been going on as I don't watch TV or follow the news except from reading a few online news articles. Please don't take my questions as that I'm trying to say X is wrong or Y is right. I totally understand that everyone wants this to be over and to be safe and for their routines to resume.

The detainee is a suspect, so it's not yet 100% confirmed that he was responsible?
If so, why are people celebrating his arrest?
Could this, in all likelihood, lead to a greater police/military presence at public sporting events in the future?

From the information I've read, I'm pretty sad that the media are throwing around ideas about Islam.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:02 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Very, very glad that all you Boston folk are okay!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:04 am 
Chip Strong

8ball wrote:
Could this, in all likelihood, lead to a greater police/military presence at public sporting events in the future?

I think this is pretty much guaranteed.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

8ball wrote:
The detainee is a suspect, so it's not yet 100% confirmed that he was responsible?

He and his brother are suspects in the sense that officers saw them throwing explosives (said to be homemade, in a similar style to the marathon bombs, though I'm not sure where that information came from) from the stolen car, and found what was described as 'a bomb making factory' in their home. I expect it's about as close to confirmation as you can get without an admission of guilt.

And I think the celebrations were as much about the relief of the whole lockdown ordeal being over as they were about the arrest- but I'm about as far away as you can possibly be, and I'm just interpreting what I would feel like celebrating!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:56 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Glad all the PPKers are safe xxx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:06 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

8ball wrote:
I'm going to ask a couple of questions from a purely curious point of view - I don't know a lot about what's been going on as I don't watch TV or follow the news except from reading a few online news articles. Please don't take my questions as that I'm trying to say X is wrong or Y is right. I totally understand that everyone wants this to be over and to be safe and for their routines to resume.

From the information I've read, I'm pretty sad that the media are throwing around ideas about Islam.

I think it's just a relief that it's over, and we can get to healing and cleaning up and whatnot. I mean, it's tragic on a lot of levels, but the level of anxiety here was palpable. I for one cannot wait to walk down Boylston Street again. I often walk that length from Boylston at Berkeley to Mass Ave, and it'll just feel so normal to be able to do it again.

The young man and his older brother were spotted near the explosion sites with backpacks. One of them was spotted depositing a backpack. Apparently one of the victims who lost both of his legs saw them and was able to identify them (not sure of the validity of that, it's going around Facebook). And then yeah, police chase, shoot out, stand off, so there is little doubt that he is the suspect.

Most sporting events here you can't take a backpack in, or your bags are checked. I can't imagine the logistics of doing that for the marathon though as it's a public street. Maybe spot checks? Continue to have the bomb sniffing dogs on site? It's mind boggling.

I, too, wish everyone would lay off the racism. What I, like many here, would like to know--how did this child get that far? And his older brother wasn't that much older, 26, I believe. How do you get to that point? How do you become so angry that you are willing to take someone's life? I just can't imagine. But I don't think you can point to any one aspect of their upbringing and say, yep, that's what did it. Both guys sounded like smart, promising young men, and it's just horrible what they felt like they had to do.

I'm still wondering about things to do for the people who were injured. I'm sure they're getting a lot of hospital visits and flowers and whatnot. I don't know. I just can't imagine how traumatic it would be to lose a family member or a limb(s). It sounds like the charities are raising a good deal of money though, so I'm hopefully it reaches the people who need it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 am 
Nailed to the V

The cheering for BPD is bizarre, the equivalent would probably never happen and DC, and comical to think of it happening in LA.

This captures my initial concerns about what happens now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
The cheering for BPD is bizarre, the equivalent would probably never happen and DC, and comical to think of it happening in LA.

This captures my initial concerns about what happens now.

Yes, this. I was glad that the police managed to capture him but horrified that he wasn't read the Miranda rights. I get that he's a danger but it took time to get him and from the bits and pieces of news that came out, it sounded like they were seeing if he was going to be an immediate danger to anyone who approached and once he wasn't, they arrested. They could've Mirandaized him or whatever you want to call it then. I just want this done properly and I don't want it to set a precedent for non-terror related arrests either.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:42 am 
WELFARIST!

The whole shouting "USA! USA! USA!" after he was captured REALLY rubbed me the wrong way. I was not okay with that at all. What are you saying, it's the United States of America against one teenager?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:51 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, that really bothered me too, Mr. Shankly. I was thinking "They do know the kid's a US citizen, right?"

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Mr. Shankly wrote:
The whole shouting "USA! USA! USA!" after he was captured REALLY rubbed me the wrong way. I was not okay with that at all. What are you saying, it's the United States of America against one teenager?
lepelaar wrote:
Yeah, that really bothered me too, Mr. Shankly. I was thinking "They do know the kid's a US citizen, right?"
That type of moronic triumphalism enrages and discourages me in equal measure. I don't know what is wrong with some people that they can find anything to "celebrate" here. Relief that no one else has been hurt? Absolutely. Hope that we'll get some answers about why these two young men did such a horrendous, incomprehensible thing so we can maybe try to prevent similar things from happening in the future? Of course. But this triumphalist bullshiitake is not only completely inappropriate but offensively ignorant and insensitive. Playing "We Are the Champions"? Seriously? Champions of what? News flash: the dead people are still dead, the traumatized are still going to have nightmares and need counseling (and may remain afraid of crowds for the rest of their lives), and not one single person's legs will grow back, no matter what stupid song some idiot plays on the radio. Then again, I've always been pretty bad at this sort of thing; I felt the same way after Bin Laden was killed, when people seemed to think the concept of "evil" had been eradicated from the universe because one guy had been shot and dumped in the ocean.

Anyway, the commentary of one of my brilliant Boston friends sums up my feelings pretty well:

"What I learned this week: 1) More automatic weapons with high capacity magazines in Massachusetts would have prevented this tragedy 2) Always abandon Constitutionally provided due process of law whenever possible 3) Wally the Red Sox mascot was obviously instrumental in the capture of the bombing suspect 4) Somehow, this was all Nancy Pelosi's fault 5) Immigration to the US should be immediately and permanently suspended 6) This was not a deep, searing tragedy but rather a sporting event which (great news everyone) we apparently won!!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next