| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Explosions at Boston Marathon finish line
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Reefer madness!

A friend of Tsarnev said "If it actually was him or his brother, I would definitely say the only scenario would be if it was his brother's doing mainly or he was extremely high on drugs, because he's not the guy."

Ahmad said that Tsarnaev smoked marijuana.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/friend-calls-b ... XLrErVQH0c

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that must be some really strong pot! ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:00 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:
that must be some really strong pot! ;-)
Seriously - the kind that makes you get off the sofa, build homemade explosives, and commit mass atrocities instead of just eating M&Ms and laughing at your cat. (Not a type with which I've had any personal experience!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I heard an interview with the car mechanic who was working on one of their vehicles and he said (whatever bro he was dealing with, I don't really remember) that the guy seemed totally drugged. I'd guess it was something other then pot, he was being twitchy.

They were really not thinking at all, they were, I assume, robbing a 7-11 to get plane tickets after the bombing, they hadn't gotten their car fixed for a getaway before the bombing (or maybe it was right before, but they had obviously not planned far enough ahead to get it fixed completely before the big date.) If you were a "professional terrorist" I'd really think there'd be serious planning into this kind of a thing, and clearly, they hadn't done anything. I'm sure most of us plan more ahead for a road trip then it sounds like they did for a bombing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

supposedly they did not actually rob the 7-11

apparently it was a really bizarre coincidence. i believe they *bought* gas and the damn Red Bull the news kept talking about.

that was what they were saying last night anyways i guess it could have changed since then.

if they were both high i guess they will be able to find out since they have #2 in custody and #1's body.

im still trying to figure out what exactly happened that they "revealed" themselves.
i still havent heard what the disturbance was that the MIT police officer who they shot was responding too.

like you said seems like poor planning.

i think they panicked when their photos were released.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

lycophyte wrote:
I heard an interview with the car mechanic who was working on one of their vehicles and he said (whatever bro he was dealing with, I don't really remember) that the guy seemed totally drugged. I'd guess it was something other then pot, he was being twitchy.

I've heard interviews with him too, but I haven't heard him say the guy looked drugged. I interpreted the twitchy thing as the guy just being really nervous and anxious to get the hell out of there.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

annak wrote:
As far as I know (as a layperson) you still HAVE those rights even if they aren't read,

Yes, but a lot of people don't know they have these rights. That's why they typically have to be recited to you at arrest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Great article about the "public safety exception"
Scary stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

"...the consequences of the casual racism launched at Chechens - and by association, all other Muslims from the former Soviet Union, who are rarely distinguished from one another by the public - are serious. By emphasising the Tsarnaevs' ethnicity over their individual choices, and portraying that ethnicity as barbaric and violent , the media creates a false image of a people destined by their names and their " culture of terror " to kill. There are no people in Chechnya, only symbols. There are no Chechen-Americans, only threats."

This is a really smart, well-written, and interesting article that's well worth reading, as are several others it links to.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/04/2013421145859380504.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Boston Marathon suspect is awake and is responding to law enforcement questions in writing, according to multiple media reports.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 am 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
Boston Marathon suspect is awake and is responding to law enforcement questions in writing, according to multiple media reports.

Well, that's not very smart of him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

not sure if this has been posted yet, this pretty much summed up my feelings of last week:

The Onion: Jesus, this week

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 am 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

They have a public defender set up to represent him, so he might have counsel already. And they may have a cooperation deal, where if he tells them of other unexploded bombs they take the death penalty off the table or some other deal we don't know about. Or he may just be a 19 year old who doesn't know better, like the juveniles in the Central Park Jogger case, and he may be screwing up any future defenses by not thinking very clearly (which is unsurprising given all he's been through). We just don't know enough to be able to tell.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 am 
Nooch of Earl

Well, I hope he gets decent representation. I am not sure a public defender is going to cut it here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 am 
Semen Strong

Me too. And its sad, but bc he hasn't been charged yet, it looks like they are questioning him without Mirandizing (which fits under the public safety exception bc they are concerned about other unexploded devices) and without counsel. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... mbing-sus/

No matter what anyone has done, its still important to us as a country to respect due process. I think that is what bothers me most about Guantanamo and the other treatment of terrorists (including eco-terrorists like Daniel McGowan). Give him a fair trial, let him have good representation and present a real defense and then sentence him. Don't torture people (including using CMUs) no matter what they've done. Manage prisons and don't let people be the victims of violence in prison and don't justify terrible conditions in prisons (lack of medical care, violence, poor conditions) with the fact that they're in prison so who cares.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annak wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

i have to wonder if he realizes he is just absolutely forked no matter what he does.
i mean the damage is done (to himself)
he's lying in a hospital bed in critical condition. he allegedly shot himself which i think is where they are saying the neck wound is from and why he cant talk. his accomplice is dead and there is piles and piles of evidence against him, not the least of which is their own admission to the guy they car jacked.

i get the feeling (and this is just my own personal feelings) that the younger one was sort of roped into it by the older one.
maybe he is trying to cooperate at this point.

or everything i just said could be complete horse shiitake and he has no idea what's going on because he is drugged up in the hospital scared and having people interogate him without reading him his rights.

related to this incident but not related to his rights or anything like that my husband read something last night that is claiming the younger brother actually killed his older brother when he ran over him escaping.
supposedly he was still alive and the police had him on the ground trying to cuff him and then the younger brother got in the car and that's when he ran over him and i guess that is supposedly what actually killed him.

again not sure if that is just urban legend or news fact.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

You can read the charges here, which include descriptions of the events of the past week: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/04/ ... ?hpt=hp_t1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for posting that.
for some reason it ends on page 7 for me.

it doesnt seem to have anything about the MIT police officer either.

it's interesting to finally read the actual chronology rather than what we all think happened.

EDIT: i just clicked on it again and the rest is now there. not sure what happened the first time

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so little of Thursday night and Friday make sense.

i mean im not criminal mastermind but it kind of seems like they gave themselves up.

it kind of seems like once the FBI photos hit the news and internet they were like "well we're screwed let's take as many people down as we can on the way out"

also am i crazy or is the MIT police officer not mentioned anywhere in that charge?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I think the MIT thing might be a state-level crime, whereas this is federal. It might be a separate charge. I don't even know which one allegedly shot him.

It's chilling to read. I want to know the details (the why, really), but I'm simultaneously horrified by them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

good point.
i dont know which one shot him either and i dont know if they have any substantial evidence it was them though i did hear a rumor there is surveillance footage of it. i hope and pray that never leaks to the public.

and you may be right that it might be a state crime. i think one of the press conferences they had on Friday someone kept asking questions and the commish kept saying it was being treated as a homicide case and they wouldnt answer those specific questions. cant remember if that related specifically to the MIT officer or just the deaths in general.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Oh yeah there was the carjacking and theft from that person too, so there's even more charges left.

I don't know what the hell the MIT officer had to do with anything. I still have no idea what that whole situation was about or why they shot him. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

they mention the car jacking in this charge but i guess it's more as evidence because they admit they did the bombing rather than actually charging him with carjacking???

that guy is SOOOOOO lucky to be alive i cant even imagine how scary that was.

for some reason i feel like the shooting of the MIT officer was the first thing that happened that night but im not sure.
why they did it i dont know.
he was supposedly responding to a disturbance call and for a long time i assumed the disturbance was somehow related to the bombers but now it seems like they just happened to be there and just walked up and shot him :-(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:46 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Me too. And its sad, but bc he hasn't been charged yet, it looks like they are questioning him without Mirandizing (which fits under the public safety exception bc they are concerned about other unexploded devices) and without counsel. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... mbing-sus/

No matter what anyone has done, its still important to us as a country to respect due process. I think that is what bothers me most about Guantanamo and the other treatment of terrorists (including eco-terrorists like Daniel McGowan). Give him a fair trial, let him have good representation and present a real defense and then sentence him. Don't torture people (including using CMUs) no matter what they've done. Manage prisons and don't let people be the victims of violence in prison and don't justify terrible conditions in prisons (lack of medical care, violence, poor conditions) with the fact that they're in prison so who cares.
All of this. We have a highly developed justice system that guarantees the same rights to all of our citizens, and even if one citizen (and Tsarnaev is a citizen) does something horrendous, that shouldn't change - if they can bend, subvert, or ignore the rules for this guy, they can do it for anyone, and that is a very slippery slope that we do not want to go down.

Also - this is a great piece written by an American journalist for the Guardian. Well worth the time it takes to read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/21/boston-marathon-bombs-us-gun-law?CMP=twt_gu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

another twist in the plot.
seems like speculation at this point but they think the older brother may be responsible for an unsolved triple homicide from last year.

http://news.yahoo.com/boston-bomb-suspect-eyed-connection-2011-triple-murder-164354976--abc-news-topstories.html

though according to this news story (the last line) i might be suspicious because if i had been there i would have drank water too and not beer (i dont like beer :-P)

i dont like yahoo news stories :-P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next