| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mitt Romney to college grads: have LOTS and LOTS of babies
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

(If you don't make it through the whole thing, I can't blame you. The gist of it really is in the thread title.)

So, Obama tells young people to work hard and achieve their dreams, and Romney tells them to have tons and tons of babies. Thank dog Obama's president! (Also, who can afford to have tons and tons of babies these days? A Romney!)

And . . . don't read the comments.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Mitt Romney to college grads: have LOTS and LOTS of babi
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

People around here do this. We have lots of quiverfull people in Virginia. You don't need to be rich like Romney. You just have to be willing to live in poverty, feed your kids crepe, use the girls for slave labor, and dont educate them. And, if you buy shelving units at Costco, you can make bunkbeds for 10 kids in one small room! The whole idea that one needs money to have kids is based apparently ungodly consumerist and worldly views about what people need. Basically, it's the rest of us with our priorities screwed up.

And, spend your free time going to school board meetings to make sure evil ungodly books like the Diary of Anne Frank don't end up in the school library at the school you don't send your kids to because it's evil and ungodly.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Here is the original photo I saw. This is actually a thing. I cannot imagine ever treating kids like that.

http://pinterest.com/pin/279715826826315805/

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i made it five minutes in, and then he told me that i had missed out on life by being too selfish to get married the second i came of age. but i really thought he was doing all right before that! "cast out into the deep" is very good life advice, i think, and i had been pretty sure i was following it . . .

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:04 pm 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
Here is the original photo I saw. This is actually a thing. I cannot imagine ever treating kids like that.

I'm not feeling my best right now but... what is wrong with that? I mean I've seen worst living situations and although it is nice to have a little bit of elbow room and what not, I don't see setting up beds like that as an issue. Especially if there are other areas of the house/outdoors/what not that the kids can do non-sleeping activities.

Not that they were that tight but I know growing up, my grandparents had 2 bedrooms for 7 kids (7 was short time, 6 a little longer and 5 the longest).

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

linanil wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I'm not feeling my best right now but... what is wrong with that? I mean I've seen worst living situations and although it is nice to have a little bit of elbow room and what not, I don't see setting up beds like that as an issue. Especially if there are other areas of the house/outdoors/what not that the kids can do non-sleeping activities.

Not that they were that tight but I know growing up, my grandparents had 2 bedrooms for 7 kids (7 was short time, 6 a little longer and 5 the longest).

I just checked out the original blog post and I guess they are the dimension of navy bunks. The mother said they were supposed to be temporary but the kids begged to keep them. Not my thing at all, but it appears to be working out for their family.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:42 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

huh, these beds look like beds my friends used to have. all non-religious. Just poor. The beds certainly werent the/a problem..

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That just doesn't seem very safe. There isn't even a ladder. Also, that mother talks about beating her kids with plumbing line a la Michael Pearl elsewhere, so she isn't exactly too concerned with their welfare.

Surely there are inexpensive, safe, actual beds to be had instead of having your kids sleep on thin foam on shelves with no safety features. If a kid falls off the top bunk onto that plywood floor?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Just to clarify, I agree with nothing at all on the blog. (I just finished reading a post where she said women shouldn't get treated for ectopic pregnancy because murder and God's will or something.) I just wanted to point out that the kids actually like the arrangement!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Well sure. I liked stuff I could get hurt on as a kid too. My parents still would never have let me sleep on a shelf I could fall out of and get seriously injured by landing on my head on a hard plywood floor. They would have done something like visit a local community hobby shop type deal if they didn't have the tools, buy cheap lumber and learn how to make something safe. Or they would have rigged up some sort of rail or net or anything to keep me safe, since that would have been their priority. That's what bothers me there, not that they don't have some kind of fancy bunk bed system. Kids fall out of bunk beds. Hell, I managed it when I was 19 and in college because I'm a weird sleeper. For fork sake, at least put some padding or foam down.

When I was a kid, my favorite place to sleep was the closet. My parents didn't allow that either because of fire safety issues (who looks for kids in a closet?).

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The bunk beds we used at summer camp never had rails. It looks like the newer safety standards require them, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

That website is challenging my feminist wish not to judge other people's reproductive choices.

I think the plywood floor disturbs me more than anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:13 pm 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
Well sure. I liked stuff I could get hurt on as a kid too. My parents still would never have let me sleep on a shelf I could fall out of and get seriously injured by landing on my head on a hard plywood floor. They would have done something like visit a local community hobby shop type deal if they didn't have the tools, buy cheap lumber and learn how to make something safe. Or they would have rigged up some sort of rail or net or anything to keep me safe, since that would have been their priority. That's what bothers me there, not that they don't have some kind of fancy bunk bed system. Kids fall out of bunk beds. Hell, I managed it when I was 19 and in college because I'm a weird sleeper. For fork sake, at least put some padding or foam down.

When I was a kid, my favorite place to sleep was the closet. My parents didn't allow that either because of fire safety issues (who looks for kids in a closet?).

I know it isn't the main thing but the top bunk there isn't much different from the bunk beds my grandparents used on top of a hardwood floor. again, I still don't see the problem with it.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Well, to be fair, Mitt also tells young people to work hard and follow their dreams - as long as they're the same as his own dreams...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:45 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Now, I didn't watch, but encouraging college grads to have lots of babies seems a bit "social darwinism" which is both classist AND believing in evolution. Unless that wasn't his reasoning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I think his point was that everyone should have lots of babies, college graduates specifically. He's quoting the classic quiverfull verses from the bible.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]