| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DOMA struck down
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We're going to the rally at Stonewall tonight at 5:30 and I'm SO EXCITED. Edie Windsor's going to be there! So glad I happened to be in NYC today.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I have so many feelings! I keep getting all choked up because of the rulings and Wendy Davis/SB5 protestors.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:34 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

couroupita wrote:
Mars wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Best day ever!

I wish there could be a parade.

I don't know if this was a joke a or not so i'll pretend like it isn't! It's Pride week in San Fran Frisco Frisco Frisco! Saturday's the Parade!

Yeah! We're going to the parade. It's going to be bananas!

I heard on the radio that eventually we're going to have a measure to do away with prop 8 entirely so there won't be any way to challenge the overruling. Good! I know a lot of people from my home town who voted for prop 8. They're very silent online today. I hope that means they know they're on the wrong side of history.

Totally not a joke! Boston's parade already happened, so I guess I just assumed most Pride weeks were already over. I didn't go this year, and I'm kicking myself. I love Pride so much. I mean, a huge celebration of love, acceptance, and having esteem for who you are? With glitter and rainbows and half-naked men?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

NYC's parade is Sunday.

According to Lambda Legal, things are going to need to be hashed out with regards to exactly what it means. This is a list of FAQs for after DOMA. http://www.lambdalegal.org/publications/after-doma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hurrah! Although I do miss Elaine V coming in here to tell us why the change sucks.

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:09 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'm so over the moon about this. I worked on the original No on Prop 8 campaign in San Francisco almost five years ago. Although we were crushed when we lost by a measly 4-point margin, we always knew we would one day achieve marriage equality. Now that that day is here, I'm simply overwhelmed. I was walking in downtown San Francisco a few moments ago and saw a car full of four guys, three ginormous rainbow flags sticking out of the windows/sunroof, and all were cheering and waving. I got choked up!

Sometimes, this old world, it ain't bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Jigglypuff wrote:
So, who's gettin' hitched?!

Me and lycophyte. If we move to CA.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

WOOHOO!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Now that that day is here

That day isn't, in the grand scheme of things, here. This is a big deal so I hate to be a fun hater because this is a big deal but you aren't there. Not where it needs to be and there is more to come. This is a big step in the right direction but it isn't the end.

But not to be a downer this is good. It is a major hurdle and a sign that ultimately things will be where they are supposed to be.

Additionally, you have a lot of divorcing and marital litigation bliss to go through to catch up with heterosexual America before you are considered normal. I personally welcome you to the statistically probable hell that is in no one's favor also referred to as marriage. It's great.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:53 am 
Level 7 Vegan

pandacookie wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
So, who's gettin' hitched?!

Me and lycophyte. If we move to CA.

Aw, congrats! This is awesome.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:52 am 
Grandfathered In

craiger_ny wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Now that that day is here

That day isn't, in the grand scheme of things, here. This is a big deal so I hate to be a fun hater because this is a big deal but you aren't there. Not where it needs to be and there is more to come. This is a big step in the right direction but it isn't the end.

But not to be a downer this is good. It is a major hurdle and a sign that ultimately things will be where they are supposed to be.

I think this is, unfortunately, true. Everything in the Supremes' ruling is good, but there's plenty of good stuff that isn't in their ruling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I think Erika was referring more to the ruling on Prop 8 in California, not the DOMA ruling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:55 am 
WRETCHED

And it is still up to the states. If your state doesn't recognize same-sex marriage, then repeal of DOMA means nothing. That is why I encourage everyone to move to Maryland. (The Governor's wife said that anyone against same-sex marriage is evil so she is ok in my book...)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:20 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I was wrong. Lycophyte and I will go to Maryland and move in with you and we'll all damn well get married.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 pm 
WRETCHED

Yay!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

jordanpattern wrote:
I think Erika was referring more to the ruling on Prop 8 in California, not the DOMA ruling.

I was also referring to the fact that I worked 12 hour days, 6 days a week, for three months on the campaign to save gay marriage and one the people who did that alongside me died last month and did not get to see yesterday happen. I'm referring to the fact that after 5 years of hard work, we achieved a huge victory and I think we're entitled to just a little bit of celebration AND CAN I JUST PLEASE BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS.

Of course there's more work to do. There's always more work to be done. We don't always need to be reminded of what's in our inbox when we're on vacation on the beach, knowmsayin?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

I was also referring to the fact that I worked 12 hour days, 6 days a week, for three months on the campaign to save gay marriage and one the people who did that alongside me died last month and did not get to see yesterday happen. I'm referring to the fact that after 5 years of hard work, we achieved a huge victory and I think we're entitled to just a little bit of celebration AND CAN I JUST PLEASE BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS.

Of course there's more work to do. There's always more work to be done. We don't always need to be reminded of what's in our inbox when we're on vacation on the beach, knowmsayin?

It was never my intention to take away from any of that. Sorry if I came off that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Shout out to Marsha P. In the wise words of one Johnp, people don't know how impossible this seemed even 25 years ago, much less when a shot glass got thrown down at Stonewall. Marching ever onward!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:07 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

pandacookie wrote:
Shout out to Marsha P. In the wise words of one Johnp, people don't know how impossible this seemed even 25 years ago, much less when a shot glass got thrown down at Stonewall. Marching ever onward!

shiitake, this seemed impossible when I came out 16 years ago.

Damn, I came out 16 years ago? There are still things that need to be done and worked on, but this may help with some of the momentum.

Anyway, damn right sister-wife, I wanna marry you!

(and I don't think that repeal of DOMA means nothing if you live in a state that has a DOMA type law, just that state-things won't be awknowleged. It sounds like federal taxes, etc should still be do-able?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 pm 
WRETCHED

lycophyte wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

shiitake, this seemed impossible when I came out 16 years ago.

Damn, I came out 16 years ago? There are still things that need to be done and worked on, but this may help with some of the momentum.

Anyway, damn right sister-wife, I wanna marry you!

(and I don't think that repeal of DOMA means nothing if you live in a state that has a DOMA type law, just that state-things won't be awknowleged. It sounds like federal taxes, etc should still be do-able?)

I could've read it wrong but the thing I read said that if your state recognizes your marriage then the federal government will honor that. I assumed that meant that if you can file taxes as married in your state, you can file federally. I could be wrong and if I am, good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

linanil wrote:
And it is still up to the states. If your state doesn't recognize same-sex marriage, then repeal of DOMA means nothing. That is why I encourage everyone to move to Maryland. (The Governor's wife said that anyone against same-sex marriage is evil so she is ok in my book...)

I am not a lawyer, but from what I understand from listening to the Towleroad law professor guy on outq this isn't really true. Like people said, those married in other states will be able to get federal benefits.. but perhaps more importantly, the real tofu of the ruling is that it was done on a 5th amendment, fair treatment under the law basis. They could have repealed this on purely a states' rights ground, and basically their rulings supported states' rights, and that might've gotten more justices onboard.. but this opens up the door to the decision being cited in a LOT more gay rights cases, potentially, even those having nothing to do with marriage. This is a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:20 am 
WRETCHED

annak wrote:
linanil wrote:

I am not a lawyer, but from what I understand from listening to the Towleroad law professor guy on outq this isn't really true. Like people said, those married in other states will be able to get federal benefits.. but perhaps more importantly, the real tofu of the ruling is that it was done on a 5th amendment, fair treatment under the law basis. They could have repealed this on purely a states' rights ground, and basically their rulings supported states' rights, and that might've gotten more justices onboard.. but this opens up the door to the decision being cited in a LOT more gay rights cases, potentially, even those having nothing to do with marriage. This is a big deal.

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a big deal and again, the thing I read seemed to say that marriages would be honored federally if they were honored in the state. It is a good thing to remove this hurdle that shouldn't have been there in the first place. I just wish each state didn't have to vote for it to be nationwide.

I'll have to read up more today on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:35 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

matwinser wrote:
Hurrah! Although I do miss Elaine V talking bullshiitake constantly.

Mat.

Changed that for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 am 
WRETCHED

So various articles I've read said that federal benefits only apply if your resident state recognizes same-sex marriage. The articles aren't lawyers so they could be wrong but does anyone have something that says different?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:23 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

linanil wrote:
So various articles I've read said that federal benefits only apply if your resident state recognizes same-sex marriage. The articles aren't lawyers so they could be wrong but does anyone have something that says different?

I think it's a gray area and will probably be the source of the next big gay rights supreme court case. It sounds like for tax purposes it will depend on where you live. But if you're in the military, you should get military rights no matter where you live (ability to live on base, get health care, get childcare, be notified in case of death).