| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk About State ID's Here
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:43 am 
WELFARIST!

Go ahead! And mbm, I want to hear your story!

Post subject: Re: Talk About State ID's Here
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:18 am 
WELFARIST!

They increased the requirements needed to get a state ID here (WV) last year. Now you need your birth certificate, ss card (or passport or other government issued ID), and 2 proofs of residency that can only be state utility bills (so no cable or phone) or a lease/deed/rental agreement/etc. This sucks for a couple of reasons. For example, if I moved in with my guy, we would have to get my name added to all of his bills (not a bad idea in the first place, but still). And in my current apartment, I only pay for water, so I'd need to bring my lease, which is fine and all, but what about places where all utilities are paid? What would you use as your second form of proof of residency? And you just have to have one to do so many things: bank account, most jobs require one, traveling...

It's kind of a sore-ish subject for me because my ex had (and probably is still having) a hard time getting his license because he was born on a military base in the UK and has some weird birth certificate that has always worked for him in getting an ID before, but they no longer accept it. His mom is a deadbeat and never kept any of that stuff, so he can't figure out how to get an original copy (because you need your passport number to get that, and of course he doesn't have that either). His ID is good for another 3 years, but then what? He won't be able to buy booze or cigarettes (which he buys every day), get a passport, travel even by train within the country...

Anyway, I think the requirements are just too strict, but I'm sure there are reasons. As for voting (like LW was talking about in the peeves thread), we don't have to show any form of ID, which is just crazy to me. You just sign some thingamajig and they're like, 'Cool, go vote!' The reason this seems so extra forked up to me is that, according to what I've read, they increased the requirements to get a state ID in order to cut down on voter registration fraud. Uh...? You don't even have to show your voter registration card to vote here! At least I haven't for any of the several elections I've voted in.

ETA: Just remembered that now, too, you have to show all documentation for if your name has EVER changed every time you renew your license/ID now. Like if you got married. Or if you got married, changed your name, then got divorced and changed it back, you have to show documentation for all of that. That's another reason the ex is having a hard time, he was adopted at age 3 and his name changed, so he needs his adoption papers as well. It seems like an incredible amount of paperwork needed to get a freaking ID. I'm lucky that all of my stuff is pretty straightforward and I've never lost my birth certificate or ss card. It's such a runaround to replace everything these days.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:50 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That's nuts!

Your ex probably just needs to go to a British embassy for help getting sorted. I had a similar issue with my birth certificate because it was a short form card. Getting the apostilled long form was a pain in the butt, but not difficult or expensive--mostly just needed patience. I had to do the same process again when I moved to the Netherlands because they required apostilled originals of all my documents.

I have to renew my Irish passport this year and they require that I submit my parent's marriage license. I've always wondered what would happen if they weren't married.

Here are the VA requirements for an ID--they don't seem that stringent. They accept all sorts of stuff, so if you have a place to live, have ever paid taxes, and a job and have attended school somewhere in the US, you should be ok.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/docum ... intro.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:53 am 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
not difficult or expensive--mostly just needed patience.

Ah, therein lies the problem.

Oh, and here are our requirements. I guess there are more options for proving residency than I thought, which is good to know.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:57 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Well it was a long time ago, but before I had a license, I had a state ID and I lost my wallet. Which had my SS card in it (shut up, I know). You literally cannot get an ID without one, so that was first. But to get a SS card, you need your birth certificate, so first I had to go down to the courthouse and pay for one because neither I nor my mother had one. Over to the SS office. Then of course, they mail SS cards so I had to have them print out a letter for me to say that yes, I had one. Off to the DMV!

The details are fuzzy, but I know they gave me crepe about not having my actual SS card, and then like allularpunk mentioned, the type of mail you need is certain types, not easy when you're a rebel like me who doesn't keep their bill slips. When I had to get my TN license changed to an IL license, I brought every single kind of paperwork they accepted just in case.

And keep in mind that since I didn't have a license, someone (probably Brian) had to drive me to all over town because none of these places are remotely near each other. Actually, the DMV and the courthouse aren't that far apart, but since they were my first and last destinations and the SS office isn't close, it didn't matter. It was an all day affair. I can't imagine if I had to take the bus, like a lot of people do.

People should be able to get a state ID somewhere else other than the DMV, since you don't need to pass any kind of test to take it. It would be so helpful to have a little photo area and card machine somewhere in the courthouse, or if the SS office were more central. But they actually moved it FURTHER away from downtown. It's really close to the Walmart so it's still pretty close to a bus line, but it still makes it difficult for people who need to go to multiple offices.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:12 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Or post offices! Most of the larger post offices have passport services so there is zero reason that couldn't be expanded to at least facilitate getting the documents.

I was lucky that when I needed all my documents apostilled, I could get them all in Richmond at the capital. But I had to actually GO to Richmond, which was a 3 hr drive to avoid mail delays and fees and running around to different places, plus some stuff had to be in person.

I think the problem with voter photo ids isn't needing an id but that ids shouldn't be that hard to get.

10-15 yrs ago, drivers licenses were super easy to get here--employees were selling them out the back door of the DMV! At least that explained the 2 hr wait for everybody else.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:48 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Well it was a long time ago, but before I had a license, I had a state ID and I lost my wallet. Which had my SS card in it (shut up, I know). You literally cannot get an ID without one, so that was first. But to get a SS card, you need your birth certificate, so first I had to go down to the courthouse and pay for one because neither I nor my mother had one. Over to the SS office. Then of course, they mail SS cards so I had to have them print out a letter for me to say that yes, I had one. Off to the DMV!

The details are fuzzy, but I know they gave me crepe about not having my actual SS card, and then like allularpunk mentioned, the type of mail you need is certain types, not easy when you're a rebel like me who doesn't keep their bill slips. When I had to get my TN license changed to an IL license, I brought every single kind of paperwork they accepted just in case.

And keep in mind that since I didn't have a license, someone (probably Brian) had to drive me to all over town because none of these places are remotely near each other. Actually, the DMV and the courthouse aren't that far apart, but since they were my first and last destinations and the SS office isn't close, it didn't matter. It was an all day affair. I can't imagine if I had to take the bus, like a lot of people do.

People should be able to get a state ID somewhere else other than the DMV, since you don't need to pass any kind of test to take it. It would be so helpful to have a little photo area and card machine somewhere in the courthouse, or if the SS office were more central. But they actually moved it FURTHER away from downtown. It's really close to the Walmart so it's still pretty close to a bus line, but it still makes it difficult for people who need to go to multiple offices.

I was in that situation when my DL expired a few years ago and I had to get it renewed! It happened right after I got an apartment for the first time after being homeless for a while, so while I'd kept extremely careful track of where my paperwork was while I was homeless, once I had a place to live sort-of-long-term, I guess I was just like "whatever, it's not going anywhere now" and lost the folder in which I kept it. I spent like a month freaking out and spending a bunch of money I couldn't really afford bouncing around from place to place to get all the right documents. Then, of course, the day after the final piece of paper that I needed arrived in the mail, I found the folder with the originals. In a laundry basket. I can't even imagine what possessed me to put it in a laundry basket. But there it was.

Now whenever I move, I make sure I know where my documents are FIRST, and then I write myself a note somewhere that I'll definitely remember that says where they are!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:37 am 
WRETCHED

Oh and in terms of voting, when I went to vote last year, I whipped out my driver's license and they acted like I had just killed a puppy and drank it's blood. They told me that I couldn't have my ID out. They just went by name and address.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I'm in Canada but I had a similar situation. RIGHT before I needed to get a rushed passport renewal to go to England, I lost all of my ID, including my Social Insurance Card (again, shut up, I know). I was living in one of the biggest cities in the country but these places to get ID replaced were in the craziest places and the lines! Oh, the lines. Because I lost my old passport, I had to get a notary to sign about it, which they didn't tell me until I'd waited in a passport office after months of waiting for my driver's license and SIN card to arrive, and then it cost $110 to get some dude to sign a piece of paper and I spent 8 hours at the passport office then had to pay extra to have it rushed. I was scolded and told that if I ever lose my passport again (yeah because I take pleasure in doing stupid things), there would be even more hoops to jump through. When I lived in the US I had my roommate put my passport in her safety deposit box. Oh and every time I go through Canadian customs they have to mention that I once loss my passport.

But those who remember my border stories know that border guards despise me.

I've managed not to lose anything in recent years so I am knocking until my knuckles bleed on wood because that shiitake is a pain in the asparagus.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:35 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

And I used to ride my bike by the DMV every day in San Francisco and GOSH that place looks like hell.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Kind of similar but question: how important is it to have your social security card? I lost mine years ago when I lost my wallet (I will borrow from MBM here: shut up, I know) and never bothered to get a new one because it was shortly after I got married and had just gone to the SS office for the whole name changing thing. I didn't want to go back and sort of forget about it since.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've always had to have my social security card to fill out an I-9 form when starting a job. So you might run into issues there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:41 pm 

You don't need it often, but when you do, there is never a substitute. So I would say to go ahead and have them issue you a new one so you don't have to scramble when you need it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

sigh. I will brave the social security office yet again because I know you all are right...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have never, ever, ever needed my social security card for anything and in fact I have no idea where mine is (and I know for a fact that it doesn't even have the right name on it). Any of the forms that have it as an option (like the I-9 which was referred to above) have alternatives as long as you can provide your social security number (which I'm sure you have memorized, right?).

All of this is really fascinating to me. I've only known one adult well who didn't have a driver's license and lived in a place where a DL was the norm (I'm sure I know plenty of NYers who don't have licenses, but that is more normal there). He did not have a state ID as far as I know. And it didn't seem to ever come up as an issue. He used his SS card and a birth certificate for employment stuff.

Several years ago I changed my last name (dropped one of my parent's last names which I hadn't actually ever used out in the world, but is reflected on my (falsified, adoption related) birth certificate). Nobody has ever asked to see proof of the name change. According to my husband, who did the legal work around my name change, you are legally allowed to use whatever damn name you please as long as it's not offensive and you don't have any requirement to change it through legal process; and your state documents can reflect that chosen name. So the idea of the DMV requiring you to show evidence of a name change sounds mighty fishy.

Reading all of this makes me amazed at how often you all are having to show ID and how infrequently I have to show ID. Of course I carry my DL everywhere, but not to prove who I am, just to prove I have merited the privilege of driving a car should I ever be stopped on the road. Nobody ever asks me for ID in my normal life. Our friend who is couch-surfing with us from Memphis says he is asked to show ID all the time - whenever he uses a debit or credit card, for example. I would hate to live in a place where I constantly had to provide ID. Just thinking about it gives me the heebie-jeebies. Our guest was amazed at my husband and I feeling this way, since he thinks it actually benefits him to be asked for ID, like he's preventing fraud.

linanil wrote:
Oh and in terms of voting, when I went to vote last year, I whipped out my driver's license and they acted like I had just killed a puppy and drank its blood. They told me that I couldn't have my ID out. They just went by name and address.

Yes, that's how it works here. And we wouldn't have it any other way!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't ever have to show id very often (I bought beer today and they didn't even ask), but I've needed it to rent apartments, get a bank account, buy a vehicle, get insurance, and I have to show it at the doctor's office on the first visit to a new dr or specialist (I always have to show my insurance id card). I always use my card as debit and not credit so I enter a pin number and don't have to sign/show id.

Of course, for a job in teaching, you have to show all kinds of id in addition to transcripts, plus do an FBI check, police report, and fingerprints.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I would not consider an insurance card to be ID, because that's not its intention, it exists to prove the person named on the card has insurance, rather than that you are the person on the card.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Ariann wrote:
I would not consider an insurance card to be ID, because that's not its intention, it exists to prove the person named on the card has insurance, rather than that you are the person on the card.

It is id of sorts because all the insurance information is in their computer already and they have a photocopy of the card in the file. Having the card doesn't prove that insurance is still valid since it doesn't have an expiration date.

When admitted to the hospital, they also photocopy your photo id. They have posters on the wall listing whatever law allows them to keep the photocopy on file since that is usually a violation of state law.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Well, less proof than reference to insurance, I suppose. I don't have to show my insurance card except for the first time I use it in an office, they scan it once, and thats that. The proof that I am still insured only really comes after they submit the claim and it is accepted or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My card also contains a great deal of personal information so I definitely consider it identification--more than my driver's license since those no longer show social security numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:34 pm 

When you need your SS card, you need the card, not just the number. Anyone can memorize the number and put it on a form, usually you need the card when an actual person is going to talk to you about whatever.

One thing I forgot - I could not get my own birth certificate because...I didn't have ID! So I needed one to get the other. So for that, my mom had to get it so it probably actually took me two days to get a new id. I can't imagine how hard it would've been if we hadn't been living in the capital. If I had to do that now, i'd be screwed since my mom and I don't speak.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:59 pm 
***LIES!!!***

So what have you needed your SS card for? I really have never needed mine.

Eta: looked up the I9 requirements, you don't need it for that, just the number (it is an optional form of id there). Don't need it to get a passport.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I had to have mine for the FBI check in order to get hired. I also had to show it to get hired, but they may have accepted an alternative like a passport (I had my ss card, so I don't know).

I'm also pretty sure I had to have it in order to accept my student loans through the financial aid office.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Sort of OT, but proof of insurance is so stupid in general. I have to print one out every 6 months even though a) it takes active steps to cancel the policy, b) I could cancel the policy and keep the card, and c) it seems like an easy thing to forge anyway.

I really enjoyed David Sedaris's story in the Diabetes with Owls book about how tough it was to get a new residence permit in the UK when his passport was stolen. We are so ridiculously attached to pieces of paper! It's 2013!

The thing that bugs me about IDs in my state (IL) is that instead of issuing a new license when the original expires, or just making the expiration longer, they give you a sticker to put on the back that says "no no, this is actually good five more years." And in other states, where I spend most of my time, they see that and they're like "yeah, right, SURE this isn't expired." Stupid cheap home state.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I didn't have to show it for student loans, maybe different schools have different requirements. For the i9 a passport is a stronger form of ID than a SS card, because it proves both that you are that person and that you have the right to work. Interesting about the FBI check. I've done the local police fingerprinting sort of check for jobs, but not FBI.