| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Talk About State ID's Here
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The schools do all the checks themselves--I guess they photocopy the documents, do your fingerprints on the thing that looks like a photocopier and then zap them off to both FBI and local.

I think some small districts make applicants go do that on their own, but I've never applied to any of those.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ariann wrote:
So the idea of the DMV requiring you to show evidence of a name change sounds mighty fishy.

I don't know about that. My co-worker recently went through a name change and had to spend hundreds of dollars on changing her name, showing documents and running around to different buildings. They wouldn't even allow her name change at work until it was all set and legal and she could prove it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It really is not a legal requirement to go through court proceedings/legal channels to start using a different name. Your friend's job were just being crassholes. It is fair to require evidence that you use a name you are requesting ID in, but that is easily supplied by a library card or utilities bill (when the name change is from marriage the marriage license is usually the easiest thing to show since you haven't used that name yet). Marriage is a special situation because you are adopting a new name all at once, so you will only have one good piece of evidence that it is a name you actually use. But I used a name other than my legal name for 25 years with zero problems, even when I was required to show my birth certificate which had my official name on it. I got loans in that name, opened bank accounts, worked a ton of jobs, had a license and passport, etc. Like Annak said, though, people are sometimes paper obsessed, even when it has nothing to do with legal requirement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:00 am 
WELFARIST!

She wasn't getting married. She changed all 3 of her names to separate from her family.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:22 am 
Naked Under Apron

A lot of stores seem to want photo ID when you use a credit card as opposed to a debit card. I also had to have a photo ID and insurance card at my surgeon's office and again when I checked into the hospital for surgery. I think it's to prevent someone from using another person's insurance for medical treatment (I actually saw this happen in a treatment facility and the guy could not remember to answer to the wrong name) so I guess it does happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:28 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, we ask for photo ID's at my work when someone makes a large purchase using a credit card. I like it because it's a step in the right direction for preventing fraud before it begins.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:59 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Ariann wrote:
So the idea of the DMV requiring you to show evidence of a name change sounds mighty fishy.

I don't know about that. My co-worker recently went through a name change and had to spend hundreds of dollars on changing her name, showing documents and running around to different buildings. They wouldn't even allow her name change at work until it was all set and legal and she could prove it.

Wow. Crazy. At my school as a student or staff member you can register a "preferred" name that will show up on class lists and such. Your legal name, the one you register with, is kept on file at the university but it doesn't pop up in other places. It makes it easier for people like your friend, and for trans students/staff, and international people who'd like to use an "American" name. Doesn't actually legally change anything of course, but I like the policy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I feel like I should get a copy of my SS card now. I lost it years ago, probably buried in my childhood crepe. It was scribbled on by six year old me anyway. I've never been asked about it, probably because I have my DL and passport which are always acceptable.

I just had to get my license transferred to Montana and I think I needed something official-ish showing my new address (like a pay stub), my old license, and a passport or SS card. It was by far the most pleasant state office situation I've ever had. You have to schedule an appointment so there was no wait, just hand over your documents and have your picture taken.

On the seeing IDs note, at my new job we always ask for ID with any card transaction. Most people are thankful we asked, although it can be kinda uncomfortable when people don't have it and then we sort of stare at each other for a minute until they go get it or I offer to compare their signatures.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2