| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Global LGBT(TIQQ2SA...) Rights Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:59 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

pandacookie wrote:
Too much money and politics involved.

Exactly why it needs a reboot.

But cynically, I agree with you. It won't happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know if it would even be possible to move it at such short notice. Doesn't it take years of planning? I think the best that can be hoped for is boycott, like the last Moscow Olympics. But I don't even see that happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:58 pm 
Semen Strong

There are places like Vancover that have hosted before and have the infrastructure set up. I mean sure, you'd have to retool the advertising etc, but I just can't see how a host country not being able to guarantee the safety of athletes isn't a dealbreaker.

And yes it is about money and politics, but there are plenty of international companies sponsoring the games, like Coca Cola etc who have a big voice in this. If they know that viewers are boycotting the Olympics and their ads won't be seen by the billions they paid for, they are just as likely to be in favor of a move.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:51 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

It takes years of planning and building and money and ticket sales and training and work and bribes for a specific site to be ready. And just because it happened in another city before does not mean it could happen there again in the same place at a different time. And it's not as if the IOC awards the Olympics to nations with stand up human rights records to begin with (hello bird's nest). And I would not count on Coke or any other multinational corporation to step up and do something (hello myanmar).

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

As pandacookie says, it's unlikely to be moved. And even the boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics by many countries didn't cause the committee to move it. And neither did the return boycott of the LA Olympics in 1984 (which had far fewer participating countries.)

Also, I didn't realize that both the summer and winter Olympics were in Russia next year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

blondiefk wrote:
Also, I didn't realize that both the summer and winter Olympics were in Russia next year.

no, since 1994 the winter and summer Olympics have taken place on different years. the 2016 summer Olympics will be held in Brazil.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

See, I didn't know that either! I read some calls for a boycott of both but based on Russia's foreign policy and the Edward Snowden incident, but they didn't specify the year of the summer Olympics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

what the fizzle?

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/in ... 8/07/72640

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Stephen Fry wrote an open letter to David Cameron and the IOC: http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/08/07/an ... ngle-page/

George Takei started a petition to the IOC to move the 2014 winter games: http://www.thegailygrind.com/2013/08/07 ... to-canada/

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

blondiefk wrote:

Uh, why is it called "The New Civil Rights"? Is racism over?

And the IOC has always banned political activity. Black athletes have been disqualified for raising their fists before.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:04 pm 
Chip Strong

Bumping this as I've been thinking recently about how I've heard a few vegan writers/podcasters using the term "coming out" to describe telling others that they're vegan. I'm not sure how I feel about this as a queer person, and wanted to hear what others think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:10 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Imogen wrote:
Bumping this as I've been thinking recently about how I've heard a few vegan writers/podcasters using the term "coming out" to describe telling others that they're vegan. I'm not sure how I feel about this as a queer person, and wanted to hear what others think.

I think it's bullshiitake, frankly. I know there's that video going around facebook of the lesbian doing a Tedx talk about how everyone has their closet, blah blah blah and I think that's just stupid. "Coming out" as vegan doesn't increase your chance of homicide or hate crime, coming out as vegan isn't illegal in multiple countries.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:07 pm 
Chip Strong

j-dub wrote:
Imogen wrote:

I think it's bullshiitake, frankly. I know there's that video going around facebook of the lesbian doing a Tedx talk about how everyone has their closet, blah blah blah and I think that's just stupid. "Coming out" as vegan doesn't increase your chance of homicide or hate crime, coming out as vegan isn't illegal in multiple countries.

That's my gut reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:25 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah, I wonder if being both Queer and Vegan makes it seem that much more ridiculous, too... like, we of all people know the feeling of being both of those things and they are very very different realms!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:58 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Mars wrote:
Yeah, I wonder if being both Queer and Vegan makes it seem that much more ridiculous, too... like, we of all people know the feeling of being both of those things and they are very very different realms!

I think that's definitely part of. I certainly never wondered what it would be like to bring tofu home to my parents for the first time. Or got angry when my brother unthinkingly told my grandparents I don't eat animal products.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

j-dub wrote:
I certainly never wondered what it would be like to bring tofu home to my parents for the first time.

tee-hee!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I am another queer vegan who thinks that it's ridiculously offensive to compare them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:23 am 
Semen Strong

Mat had a really good post about that in the thread about Alexandra Jamieson's use of that term to reveal that she was no longer vegan. I wish I could find it, but my googlefu is broken.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I actually never "came out" either way. With veganism I said "look, I'm trying to get there, people!" which would have been a weird thing to say about my sexual orientation...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

OK, I take back what I said about staying away from this thread due to the whether-there-should-be-a-thread controversy, because I think this is important for people to know about:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/world ... html?_r=1&
Quote:
Gay sex became illegal again in India Wednesday after the Indian Supreme Court ruled that a colonial-era law banning gay sex should not have been struck down.

The ruling reverses a landmark judgment by a lower court, which in 2009 decided that an 1861 law that forbids “carnal intercourse against the order of nature with man, woman or animal” was unconstitutional. The 19th century law, passed by the British, makes gay sex punishable by 10 years in prison. Only Parliament can change that law, the Supreme Court ruled.

The article goes on to mention why it is unlikely that parliament will change the law any time soon and the repercussions this has for police harassment and AIDS prevention work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:16 am 
Nooch of Earl

This isn't the best-edited essay out there, but mentions how little NBC is rocking the boat on the Olympics: http://prospect.org/article/nbcs-big-fat-gay-mistake

Comments, so far, are actually worth reading as well, I thought.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/paki ... ning181213

Charming.

And as those of you in the US no doubt know, there's a giant kerfuffle of bigotry going on about what as far as I can tell is some jackass from a reality TV show being suspended for homophobic ranting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:28 pm 
WRETCHED

That is horrible Annak.

In terms of the Olympics, I read that Obama is boycotting but sending openly gay athletes to represent the US. That sounds a bit scary to me but I'm guessing they will have security provided.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

linanil wrote:
That is horrible Annak.

In terms of the Olympics, I read that Obama is boycotting but sending openly gay athletes to represent the US. That sounds a bit scary to me but I'm guessing they will have security provided.

I don't think Obama has anything to do with the athletes chosen. In any case, what is the alternative?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:01 pm 
WRETCHED

Ariann wrote:
linanil wrote:
That is horrible Annak.

I don't think Obama has anything to do with the athletes chosen. In any case, what is the alternative?

I should've said, openly gay retired athletes as US representatives. Not those that are competing. And I don't know a good option. If no one goes besides participating athletes, will those athletes from the US feel shunned? I also respect Olympic athletes, many of which only get one chance in their lifetime to compete so backing out entirely would be horrible for them.

Last edited by linanil on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next