| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anti-abortion passing in the US
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

In Texas, the new rules that will close all but 5 abortion clinics in a state of 26 million people and has a good chance of passing even though thousands of people have been protesting it every day and 80% of the population is against restricting abortion.

In Ohio, without any debate, they redefined pregnancy and wrote the most restrictive anti-abortion laws into the state budget without any debate at all.

In North Carolina they passed a law that requires health teachers to tell 7th graders that having an abortion means you can't get pregnant again!

Maddow had a huge segment on it last night. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26315908/#52370415

Post subject: Re: anti-abortion passing in the US
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:03 pm 
Semen Strong

In Iowa, if you want an abortion covered by Medicaid, you need to petition the governor to allow it. Even if the pregnant woman was the victim of rape or incest or will die without the procedure. Anyone want to guess how likely he is to allow it?
http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20 ... ck_check=1

It feels like Roe v Wade is dying the death of 1,000 cuts. And that anti-choicers are pushing it in the hopes of getting a S. Ct challenge.

Its just becoming mindblowing that the Christian right is getting away with this stuff with no real comment from voters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:18 pm 

At least it seems to be getting some national news? It seems like the anti-abortion side still has no idea what the real issues of any of these bills are. When you talk to them they seem to think it's all abortion is like partial birth abortion. I guess if you don't understand basic reproduction it's hard to understand what they are trying to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:25 pm 

Also Jezebel did a post of what is happening state by state.
http://jezebel.com/the-annotated-guide- ... -602475321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Its good that it makes the national news, but I think that people aren't making that a voting priority. Some of the people I know who voted GOP last election are pro-choice and pro-LGBTQ rights, but felt like the economy was more important.

I heard so much "well we can turn to that once we fix the economy, and I believe that the GOP is the only party that can fix the economy" during the last election (disregarding the fact that much of what caused the collapse of the economy was the GOP-proposed deregulation and that when in power the GOP seems to be very quick to act to take away civil liberties without doing much at all about taxes or the economy, despite the fact that those are the issues they are often being elected on).

Perhaps I am being too pessimistic, but it feels like even when these issues are in the news, it doesn't make much difference to who gets elected. I think Rachel Maddow said something similar about the NSA leak/Snowdon story - its really important and it gets news attention, but its not really getting people angry enough to take action and demand change.

Snowdon wrote:
No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised — and it should be.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2013/07/edwa ... ement.html

We're definitely informed, but where is the anger?

Last edited by Tofulish on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 pm 

I don't know, people seem really angry here, it seemed there wasn't nearly as much action when the ultrasound bill passed last session. Now there are thousands of people marching on the capital.

I don't know if it will make a difference come election time. It seems like the only thing that really matters during elections is whatever happens that month.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm 
Semen Strong

I hope so!

I really care more about free access to abortion having been through a pregnancy and as you say above, learning a lot about my own reproductive system, how pregnancy is cared for and monitored and the health of the fetus. We had a CVS for genetic abnormalities that would have had me have a termination at around 14 weeks and then had the big anatomy scan at 20 weeks. It is terrifying to think that if your scans show abnormalities you could end up plunged in a nightmare process to save your life while in the middle of grieving.

Part of the problem I see is that the anti-choicers have succeeded in painting people who get pregnant out of wedlock as young, irresponsible single women, who refuse to take responsibility for their actions. And the pro-choice groups aren't really succeeding at counteracting that vilification by showing that abortion is something that could affect everyone.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/22172 ... f-all-time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 pm 

That's why the 20 week bans are especially frustrating! Most people who wait that long either wanted to carry the pregnancy to term or they couldn't afford the procedure. It forces women to have the procedure before they can wait out their options if there are complications. And since our bill in Texas also gets rid of the abortion pill and adds the hospital component it's just going to make abortion more costly which means poor people will do all sorts of forked up things to their body to stop the pregnancy. I don't see how pro-lifers to force pregnancy upon people is a good thing. I mean it just can't connect in my brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:51 pm 
Nooch of Earl

^-- what Tlish said. This is not a law to prevent people who are unintentionally pregnant from having abortions, it's a law to prevent people pregnant with wanted children from taking action based on what they find out at anatomy scans and prenatal testing, even if they will be born still or with fatal, painful defects.

But what I never understand about conservative states is: if 80% of Texans are opposed to this restriction, why do they keep voting for a party with abortion restrictions as such a fundamental part of their platform? I see this again and again with different issues. At some point, does it become OK to point out to people you know are conservative voters that if they don't like a policy or funding change, maybe they should stop voting for politicians who've been very open about wanting to implement it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:24 pm 

Well in Texas the Republicans have worked really hard to gerrymander the state to get republican wins. My congressional representive Lloyd Dogget, has his district changed every cycle. His district used to be just part of Austin but then it went all the way to the border with Mexico. They tried to pack his district with republicans and then when that didn't work they tried to put him up agains hispanic democrats. He still won because he has so much support bere bu its a huge huge issue that iust got even worse with the supreme courts decision on the voting rights act. Then when the primaries come only the hardcore republicans vote so they end up putting the most scary fundamentalists up for office. Additionally, the rural voters have more power than people in cities, just like with the general election and the electoral college. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, and Austin all voted for blue for the general election but it doesn't make enough of a difference, even though that's where our biggest populations are, by far. Now they are passing the voter ID law and doing god knows what else to make it so poor people can't vote. And then you add that to our terrible education and healthcare system. Plus the the apathy that comes from feeling powerless to change any of it. I feel like I've had that conversation with just about everyone I've ever talked texas politics with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:40 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the context LS.

I can't believe that people in NJ voted for Chris Christie, but for whatever reason, everyone I spoke to said that they needed a Republican to "fix" the economy. I always wonder why the electorate doesn't seem to have much faith in Democrats and why they don't realize that the GOP's deregulation is what is at the root of the bank collapse we saw in 2007. When did people start thinking of government as the enemy?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah. I don't even know who voted for Christie. I am totally flabbergasted. Are we the last women in the world who put rights (and education!) at the top of our voting priorities?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

LadySmurf, thanks for the reminder about the odious redistricting there and elsewhere. I think that does explain some of it, and probably ensures the supermajorities that get this crepe passed, but there must still be plenty of people among that 80% who are voting for eg the Republican governor. Part of me wishes the supreme court will intervene and part of me keeps thinking "surely THIS will be the legislation that makes people stop voting for these assclowns!" And yet, it never is...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

LazySmurf wrote:
In North Carolina they passed a law that requires health teachers to tell 7th graders that having an abortion means you can't get pregnant again!

That seems to be pretty different from what the news is reporting: http://www.wral.com/nc-house-tentativel ... /12599672/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
Yeah. I don't even know who voted for Christie. I am totally flabbergasted. Are we the last women in the world who put rights (and education!) at the top of our voting priorities?

People hated Corzine - his approval rating was in the 20%, and so Christie was re-elected because he wasn't Corzine.

But it sucks that he is now being treated as a shoe-in and Barbara Buono is pretty much treated like a joke or a non-entity. No one is looking at all the shitty things that happened on Christie's watch - he is just coasting on his "great handling" of the aftermath of Sandy (asking for federal aid)- without much examination of the fact that his wife's charity raised millions for relief and didn't disburse any funds for 5 months, after media outlets started to point it out.

He just vetoed $7.5million for women's health

Quote:
Gov. Chris Christie issued an absolute veto for S2825/A4172, which would have provided $7.453 million as a supplemental FY 2013 appropriation for family planning services. The money, supporters say, is necessary due to clinics closing and which they specifically pledge won’t go to fund abortions. Yet Christie each year has taken that money out of the budget.

The elimination of this funding has resulted in both the closing of facilities that provide family planning services and a reduction in the availability of such services, the bill sponsors have said.

The bill’s sponsor, Sen. Loretta Weinberg, (D-37), Teaneck, said since it’s apparent that money is available for what she described as an “unnecessary” special election for the U.S. Senate, some state funds could be used to open some of the six women’s health clinics that were shuttered.

http://www.politickernj.com/66984/75m-w ... E.facebook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Derp elected not reelected.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 am 

Tzippy wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

That seems to be pretty different from what the news is reporting: http://www.wral.com/nc-house-tentativel ... /12599672/

You are right! I misunderstood, it will mean that they tell 7th graders that abortions can cause later premature births.

I saw this tumblr yesterday "Capturing horrible men happily signing bills and holding hearings that negatively impact women."
http://abunchofguys.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 am 

annak wrote:
LadySmurf, thanks for the reminder about the odious redistricting there and elsewhere. I think that does explain some of it, and probably ensures the supermajorities that get this crepe passed, but there must still be plenty of people among that 80% who are voting for eg the Republican governor. Part of me wishes the supreme court will intervene and part of me keeps thinking "surely THIS will be the legislation that makes people stop voting for these assclowns!" And yet, it never is...

Some people think that the reason Rick Perry is doing all of this right now is so he can run for US president again. He is supposed to announce this Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:10 pm 

There was another great segment on Rachel Maddow that shows how many clinics have been closed under republican leadership since the last election.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:55 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

OMFG. They are confiscating tampons and pads from women's purses at the Texas capitol because they are worried women will throw them at the senators. Note: You can bring a gun into the building so long as you have a concealed carry license (and the gun is concealed).

Now I want to buy a box before heading up there.

ETA: That only lasted about an hour or so. A man was able to convince them to stop (Sen. Watson).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:15 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I try to consider all possible sides of things (despite my lifetime membership in the Feminazi Bonerkiller Club), but I have a hard time seeing the confiscation today as anything other than a giant "fork you" to protesters.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:27 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Tofulish wrote:

Snowdon wrote:
No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised — and it should be.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2013/07/edwa ... ement.html

We're definitely informed, but where is the anger?

Just FYI, that guy you're quoting/linking to is the biggest a*hole in the universe. Here's a choice quote from that blog:

Quote:
The fact that women may wish to work and are very capable of working no more implies that they should always be encouraged to do so anymore than the fact that men may wish to rape and are very capable of raping means that they should always be encouraged to do so. The ironic, but logically inescapable fact is that encouraging men to rape would be considerably less damaging to a society than encouraging women to enter the workforce en masse. Widespread rape makes a society uncivilized. Widespread female employment makes a society demographically unsustainable. History demonstrates that incivility can be survived and surmounted. Unsustainability, on the other hand, cannot.

He believes women's only purpose is reproduction, that black people are a different species than white people, and is regularly very offensive to larger women. He's currently causing an enormous brouhaha in the Science Fiction Writers of America, the largest professional organization of genre writers, over calling a woman author of color a "savage" and so forth. It's too long to get into here, but here's what he had to say to a friend of mine when she left SFWA over the sexism among some of the older members of that organization:

Quote:
Now, if you will please take the rest of the feminist fascists who believe romance novels in space, necrobestiality, and rehashed Regency romances are science fiction with you, thus permitting the real SF writers to get on with the business of writing actual science fiction for readers who enjoy it, you will do a great service to both SFWA and the field of science fiction.

So yeah, maybe he's not the most reliable source/the best person to link to, even though what you cited has little to do with the above...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

(or YouTube link)

“This is my government ma'am, I will judge you.”

Epic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2 ... exas-women

I think Wendy Davis is my new hero. I love that she called all of this out for what it is a "partisan agenda".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 pm 
Grandfathered In

Citizen Ritson wrote:

(or YouTube link)

“This is my government ma'am, I will judge you.”

Epic.

USA! USA!