| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ariel Castro sentenced to life + 1,000 years in prison.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:30 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

He entered a plea bargain to avoid the death penalty, so I wonder if this was his plan all along. If he had been on death row they probably would've put him on suicide watch.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:34 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
What a coward. I know every prisoner costs tax dollars, but it's really unfair that he kept those women locked up for a decade and he was able to take the easy way out not even a month into his sentence.
dropscone wrote:
I don't know how this is going to sound, probably terrible, but I would rather someone who hurt me was dead.
Yeah, I guess my feeling is that his absence from the world might help bring closure to the victims, and now the taxpayers are spared the burden of supporting him. And while I can't imagine anyone feeling any particular sympathy for him or sorrow at his passing, I don't think death by hanging/asphyxiation qualifies as an "easy way out."

I didn't mean the method of his death was easy, but (leaving out any idea of an afterlife), his suffering was very short and in my opinion, he did not pay for his crime.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:46 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't know if there is any way he could have ever paid for his crimes. He did so much damage.

I am happy that his victims are free and can move on with their lives, without him having an opportunity to keep making excuses about how they were not virgins or got into the car willingly etc. I wish them and Castro's other victims (notably his family) much healing and if there is a Hell, I hope Ariel Castro burns in it.

That said, even for people like Ariel Castro, I think prison should be able to keep prisoners safe from sexual assault, being murdered, assaulted or otherwise the victim of a crime, so I've found it problematic for people to say they hoped that he would get his comeuppance In the form of violence by another inmate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:44 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I didn't mean the method of his death was easy, but (leaving out any idea of an afterlife), his suffering was very short and in my opinion, he did not pay for his crime.
Ah - gotcha! And I agree, although as Tofulish says, it's hard to imagine what actual justice could even look like for a crime of that magnitude. Realistically, the best outcome we can hope for is that his victims can feel safe, get better, and move on to have some happiness and fulfillment in their lives. And I do hope that may be easier with him permanently out of the universe.
Tofulish wrote:
That said, even for people like Ariel Castro, I think prison should be able to keep prisoners safe from sexual assault, being murdered, assaulted or otherwise the victim of a crime, so I've found it problematic for people to say they hoped that he would get his comeuppance In the form of violence by another inmate.
Yeah, I really don't like that kind of stuff at all, for the same reasons I oppose the death penalty. Not to get all pre-schooly, but two (or more) wrongs can't make a right.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:00 pm 

Yeah, I hate it when people say things like 'I hope he gets raped because he raped someone' - I don't wish rape on anyone because I don't think there should be any gray area because we've seen people try to say that someone deserved it for walking alone at night or drinking at a party or having consensual sex with the person some other time - just, no. No one deserves it.

Even though it would kind of be an eye for an eye to spend your life in solitary confinement for keeping four people captive for a decade (or six years in the child's case), he still would have a better life than they did.

Did you guys know that people were giving Amanda Berry crepe for having too much fun and not acting enough like she has PTSD when Nelly invited her on a local festival?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Ohi ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Did you guys know that people were giving Amanda Berry crepe for having too much fun and not acting enough like she has PTSD when Nelly invited her on a local festival?

No, but sadly I'm not surprised.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:36 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

dropscone wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

No, but sadly I'm not surprised.
UGH.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Turns out his life sentence wasn't very long.

I guess he wasn't a sociopath if contemplating being in jail and what he did drove him to end things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:49 pm 

I don't think what he did drove him to end things. He showed no remorse at his sentencing and blamed the victims and being sick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Showing and having remorse are two different things. He could have come to have some after cooling out in jail. If you are completely right it could have been the thought of spending his life in jail or being viewed as a monster that drove him to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 am 
Semen Strong

We don't know why he committed suicide. No one does. We do know that he was able to keep 3 women in captivity for over 10 years and subject them to some pretty cruel emotional manipulation and sustained physical violence, with no remorse at trial or at any other point. This is an analysis of the case by an expert, talking about why what we know of his behavior is consistent with him being a psychopath: http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/opinion/salter-castro

And I thought this was an interesting discussion of the fact that many serial killers, who are diagnosed as psychopaths, have committed suicide, simply because they know the kind of life they want to live is no longer possible. http://blametheamygdala.wordpress.com/2 ... t-suicide/ I imagine the same could easily be true of Ariel Castro.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 am 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
...many serial killers, who are diagnosed as psychopaths, have committed suicide, simply because they know the kind of life they want to live is no longer possible....

Yes, this. And it makes me furious because Knight, Berry, and Dejesus had to live this way--fearing the lives they wanted to live were no longer possible--for a decade because of him. I know it's wrong and vengeful and ridiculous, but I feel massively cheated by all this. I wanted him to suffer. I do, however, hope his death brings some small measure of peace and closure to his victims.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:06 pm 

Yes, my opinion from what we know of him is that he felt sorry for himself and not anyone else so that's why I think his reasons for suicide had nothing to do with what he'd done and everything to do with what he would have to go through himself.

And remember that Amanda Berry has/had to explain to her daughter that her father was a horrible person and is now dead. No one knows how much the kid knew while they were being hostage but i'd wager that her mom just tried to give her a normal life and didn't act like anything about their situation was weird until they escaped. I think if anyone has been truly cheated out of justice it's her, because when she gets older she could've made the decision to visit her father and try to get answers out of him and now that option is gone. Remember he used to take her out and genuinely seemed to care for her, so he really was her dad in his messed up way. I can't even imagine all of the therapy she's going to need, and all of the bullying at school she's going to endure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:46 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Yes, my opinion from what we know of him is that he felt sorry for himself and not anyone else so that's why I think his reasons for suicide had nothing to do with what he'd done and everything to do with what he would have to go through himself.

And remember that Amanda Berry has/had to explain to her daughter that her father was a horrible person and is now dead. No one knows how much the kid knew while they were being hostage but i'd wager that her mom just tried to give her a normal life and didn't act like anything about their situation was weird until they escaped. I think if anyone has been truly cheated out of justice it's her, because when she gets older she could've made the decision to visit her father and try to get answers out of him and now that option is gone. Remember he used to take her out and genuinely seemed to care for her, so he really was her dad in his messed up way. I can't even imagine all of the therapy she's going to need, and all of the bullying at school she's going to endure.
Ugh. No matter how you slice it, this is such a nightmare scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:28 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Now they are saying his death may not have been a suicide http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-576 ... tate-says/