| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do we really not have a Rob Ford thread?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:17 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Desdemona wrote:

...but then the all-you-can-eat-homecooked-pussy buffet knocked it into oblivion. The man is just the gift that keeps on giving (for joke writers, anyway).

Yeah, I pretty much guffawed when I saw that sign on the Daily Show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:57 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
http://www.enoughtoeat.com

Amazing!
GAAAH!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

I thought this was funny: http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/le ... f-rob-ford

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm so happy that I'm from the GTA but not Toronto, technically. The footage of him bowling over McConnell was just too much.

And a sex tape now? what the fizzle? That's news to me. My brain can't handle it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sooooo much about this whole thing is pissing me off.

1) As mentioned by others, the way it's pushing more important things like the senate scandal out of the news. Yes, it's worthy of coverage, but not the exclusion of everything else.

2) The federal Conservatives' near-complete silence on the matter. Can you just IMAGINE if this were a Liberal or NDP mayor, the amount of noise they would be making about his behavior? But no, it's one of their own, so they remain meekly silent except for one or two quiet suggestions that maybe he should step aside.

3) The racist undertones around a lot of the commentary about his crack-smoking. There's a particular picture that the media keep using of him with his arms around the shoulders of two non-white dudes who are dressed in the kind of clothing people typically associate with street thugs. This is frequently accompanied by some joke or comment about the types of people he spends his spare time with. Regardless of whether or not the guys in the picture are actually associated with his crack use, it's almost always used out of context. They never say "Rob Ford, pictured here with a guy who's accused of selling him crack." It's just, hey, here's a picture to illustrate the allegations of him being on crack!

4) The pathetic interview with Peter Mansbridge last night. Rob Ford outright lied numerous times and continually contradicted himself, but Peter Mansbridge barely challenged him on any of these statements. What the hell? This is the part where you're, ya know, supposed to act like a journalist and dig a little to find out the truth?

Urrrggghhh. I wish this guy would do what normal politicians do - release a statement that he's vewwy vewwy sowwy and he's going into treatment, and step aside for a while. Instead we have to deal with this three-ring circus eating up the entire country's media attention.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:28 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

He is the actual real-life Mayor "Diamond" Joe Quimby.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:32 pm 

parkerk wrote:
4) The pathetic interview with Peter Mansbridge last night. Rob Ford outright lied numerous times and continually contradicted himself, but Peter Mansbridge barely challenged him on any of these statements. What the hell? This is the part where you're, ya know, supposed to act like a journalist and dig a little to find out the truth?

To be fair to P. Mansbridge, I think people are really afraid of Ford. Look at how he's behaved in council with getting toe-to-toe with Denzil Mennin-Wong! He uses his size to physically intimidate people. And Doug Ford was just staring at Peter the whole time, barely blinking; again another intimidation tactic. Personally, I'd be afraid of the Fords if I had to interview them, seeing as they've proved they're not above personal attacks and physical intimidation. The debriefing Peter did after the interview, he was saying the whole thing was so surreal and he seemed at a loss for words.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

paprikapapaya wrote:
parkerk wrote:

To be fair to P. Mansbridge, I think people are really afraid of Ford. Look at how he's behaved in council with getting toe-to-toe with Denzil Mennin-Wong! He uses his size to physically intimidate people. And Doug Ford was just staring at Peter the whole time, barely blinking; again another intimidation tactic. Personally, I'd be afraid of the Fords if I had to interview them, seeing as they've proved they're not above personal attacks and physical intimidation. The debriefing Peter did after the interview, he was saying the whole thing was so surreal and he seemed at a loss for words.

Fair enough, they are pretty bad bullies, I can't blame anyone for being afraid of them. I just hate that they actually get results by being this way. I've known a few large dudes like this, and once they're actually stood up to and people make it obvious that they're not going to get results from acting that way they fold like cheap lawn chairs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Did he go to politician school with Berlusconi?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

parkerk wrote:
Sooooo much about this whole thing is pissing me off.

1) As mentioned by others, the way it's pushing more important things like the senate scandal out of the news. Yes, it's worthy of coverage, but not the exclusion of everything else.

2) The federal Conservatives' near-complete silence on the matter. Can you just IMAGINE if this were a Liberal or NDP mayor, the amount of noise they would be making about his behavior? But no, it's one of their own, so they remain meekly silent except for one or two quiet suggestions that maybe he should step aside.

3) The racist undertones around a lot of the commentary about his crack-smoking. There's a particular picture that the media keep using of him with his arms around the shoulders of two non-white dudes who are dressed in the kind of clothing people typically associate with street thugs. This is frequently accompanied by some joke or comment about the types of people he spends his spare time with. Regardless of whether or not the guys in the picture are actually associated with his crack use, it's almost always used out of context. They never say "Rob Ford, pictured here with a guy who's accused of selling him crack." It's just, hey, here's a picture to illustrate the allegations of him being on crack!

Urrrggghhh. I wish this guy would do what normal politicians do - release a statement that he's vewwy vewwy sowwy and he's going into treatment, and step aside for a while. Instead we have to deal with this three-ring circus eating up the entire country's media attention.

Yeah, an extension of number 3, pretty much the worst thing I have heard about this in person is this: "Look how people in Toronto're like, no big surprise there, you would smoke crack too in order to be the mayor of it". Oookkkay, I thought to myself, what IS Toronto like? Everyone smokes crack , so you have to do it too in the theory of "go along to get along" (I know better, not EVERYone ANywhere smokes crack or any other drug, not so in Toronto, either) but what a stupid thing for a person I barely know to say!! Ugh!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 pm 

Haha, I love how the rest of Canada hates Toronto for no reason. Like by being a big city, you somehow go against the Canadian "way". Toronto is per capita an incredibly safe city. World class, super multicultural (and those cultures are celebrated and not asked to conform), and all around awesome. Toronto haters be damned.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:28 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Yeah, for me the issue of his crack smoking isn't that it marks him as "low class" or "hanging out with riff raff"* (*and by riff raff, don't we always mean 'people of color'?). It's the complete hypocrisy of how he thinks 'these people' should be treated as opposed to him. Of course, politicians like him always use code words like 'crack smokers' or 'welfare recipients' or 'gang members', when they clearly mean "poor black people." Because as has happened time and time again, when people like Rob Ford smoke crack or threaten violence or receive corporate welfare, it's "different," it's easy for them to see it as an aberration or a mistake because they're not really like that. Because when well-positioned white guys do it, it's regrettable- when poor black dudes do it, it's just part of the cycle of criminality and they won't understand anything but heavy-handed zero-tolerance tactics.

Sorry, my words and sarcasm are tripping all over each other. I am still working on my first cup of coffee. Suffice to say that my problem is not with drug users but with hypocrites.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:30 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Yeah, for me the issue of his crack smoking isn't that it marks him as "low class" or "hanging out with riff raff"* (*and by riff raff, don't we always mean 'people of color'?). It's the complete hypocrisy of how he thinks 'these people' should be treated as opposed to him. Of course, politicians like him always use code words like 'crack smokers' or 'welfare recipients' or 'gang members', when they clearly mean "poor black people." Because as has happened time and time again, when people like Rob Ford smoke crack or threaten violence or receive corporate welfare, it's "different," it's easy for them to see it as an aberration or a mistake because they're not really like that. Because when well-positioned white guys do it, it's regrettable- when poor black dudes do it, it's just part of the cycle of criminality and they won't understand anything but heavy-handed zero-tolerance tactics.

troofs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Sorry, my words and sarcasm are tripping all over each other. I am still working on my first cup of coffee. Suffice to say that my problem is not with drug users but with hypocrites.

YES. Thank you, you said this much better than I did. The hypocrisy is truly breathtaking. He was asked if he supports zero-tolerance on drugs and he answered yes. He was then asked if he'd used drugs (this was after he'd admitted it publicly) and he immediately back-pedalled into his "look, I made a mistake, I admit that" rhetoric. YOU JUST SAID ZERO TOLERANCE WHY DO YOU GET A PASS ON THAT ARGGGHHHBBBBLLLLL.

(For the record I do not support zero-tolerance policies. Like Erika, my problem is with the hypocrisy).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

yeah, my problems are with the hypocrisy and the fact that he has publicly expressed something ignorant and alienating about pretty much every group of people that aren't straight, white males (though i'm sure he's offensive to them too!) - someone in a position of power with that much visibility should never do that, because they should know better! if he could conduct himself as a decent human being with i dunno, empathy and the ability to understand people different than himself, i would respect him, crack or no crack. but he doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

parkerk wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
parkerk wrote:

Fair enough, they are pretty bad bullies, I can't blame anyone for being afraid of them. I just hate that they actually get results by being this way. I've known a few large dudes like this, and once they're actually stood up to and people make it obvious that they're not going to get results from acting that way they fold like cheap lawn chairs.

But remember the time Mary Walsh as Marg Delahunty apparently scared the ever loving shiitake out of him and he called 911?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:06 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

God I miss Marg. We need her in the States.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

parkerk wrote:

This really irritates me, especially since by the time this whole Rob Ford thing blows over, everyone will have forgotten about the scandal.

Is it true he's claimed that he plans to run for prime minister? They were talking about it on the radio and we're asking people who called in if they would vote for him if he ran. Of course, every young male that answered said, of course, as long as he gets things done (whatever the fork that means), they'd totally vote for him. So as it turns out, Alberta's got his back *facepalm*

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:07 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Of course Alberta loves him. We apparently miss King Ralph.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:06 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

jordanpattern wrote:
This made me laugh out loud!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:02 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

jordanpattern wrote:

Don't we all?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

Ya'll have your own Marion Barry, wear it with pride.