| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BREAKING NEWS: Internet trolls are also shitty people
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:30 pm 
A Bad Person

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453609,00.asp

Quote:
"[T]rolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores," they wrote. Which is to say, the respondents who identified themselves as trolls also indicated that they enjoy making others suffer, lack remorse and empathy, and have no problem with manipulating and lying to people to achieve their ends.

The "good news" is that only 5% of people who comment in forums enjoy trolling.

Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Internet trolls are also shitty people
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

It just does not shock me. I knew one who would do it in real life too; it was awful. So glad my friend broke up with him

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:05 pm 
Semen Strong

I was really surprised to read one piece by a woman who was fatshamed by a ton of internet trolls, and then looked up their IP addresses and found that a lot of them were women. http://www.salon.com/2013/10/02/my_emba ... ent_viral/

I don't know why that surprised me so much, but it does.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not very surprising. If that's your way of "letting out steam" or whatever people claim if they get caught doing it, you must be a pretty bad person.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 am 

I knew a vegan who told me he'd write troll-y arguments on vegan-related subjects and then reply to them himself, tearing down the stupidity of what he'd just said, so that people following the argument would have their assumptions challenged. Every time I see a really stupid anti-vegan comment I wonder if it's actually a vegan "helping".

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 am 

dropscone wrote:
I knew a vegan who told me he'd write troll-y arguments on vegan-related subjects and then reply to them himself, tearing down the stupidity of what he'd just said, so that people following the argument would have their assumptions challenged. Every time I see a really stupid anti-vegan comment I wonder if it's actually a vegan "helping".

That wouldn't actually be trolling in the sense that the article is talking about, but that is annoying!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:25 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Tofulish wrote:
I was really surprised to read one piece by a woman who was fatshamed by a ton of internet trolls, and then looked up their IP addresses and found that a lot of them were women. http://www.salon.com/2013/10/02/my_emba ... ent_viral/

I think it's mostly women who do this because of the beauty standards they are exposed to. If they have accepted that being thin is the norm and that that is what you should constantly work on, they will punish those who don't think so, especially other women.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:10 am 

bastah wrote:
dropscone wrote:

That wouldn't actually be trolling in the sense that the article is talking about, but that is annoying!

What I mean is he'd create two accounts, a "troll" one and a "rational vegan" to argue against the fictional other person.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:26 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Mihl wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I think it's mostly women who do this because of the beauty standards they are exposed to. If they have accepted that being thin is the norm and that that is what you should constantly work on, they will punish those who don't think so, especially other women.
I'd also guess that some of those vituperative reactions are based at least partly in fear. In a culture where many women are conditioned to be terrified by the idea of gaining (or even not losing) weight, someone who not only doesn't abide by but actively flouts and pushes back against those "rules" can present a pretty threatening spectacle, because they call everything we're told is the "right" way to think about our bodies into question.

Which I think can also apply to internet trolling in general: it often seems like people who feel the need to swoop in and pick others to pieces are probably pretty insecure and anxious, hence the need to put down, insult, one-up, or otherwise crepe on everything they see. It allows them to vent aggression and negative feelings, they're invisible and anonymous, and there are basically no consequences, since even negative attention is better than none at all.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:29 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Desdemona wrote:

Which I think can also apply to internet trolling in general: it often seems like people who feel the need to swoop in and pick others to pieces are probably pretty insecure and anxious, hence the need to put down, insult, one-up, or otherwise crepe on everything they see. It allows them to vent aggression and negative feelings, they're invisible and anonymous, and there are basically no consequences, since even negative attention is better than none at all.

I am currently dealing with a real life troll. Someone who is so mired in their own misery that the only happiness or pleasure they seem to get is through being a very typical internet troll, just in real life. And because everyone around him knows he is so miserable, they laugh it off and say "oh Haha, he is just trolling you." But no one will challenge that. Not even those closest to him. (I do and have been being avoided like the plague because of it)

Yes, he is, much like the monster under the bridge.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:45 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

kfad wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

I am currently dealing with a real life troll. Someone who is so mired in their own misery that the only happiness or pleasure they seem to get is through being a very typical internet troll, just in real life. And because everyone around him knows he is so miserable, they laugh it off and say "oh Haha, he is just trolling you." But no one will challenge that. Not even those closest to him. (I do and have been being avoided like the plague because of it)

Yeah, I used to work with a man like this, and I still know him in a superficial social way; in his case, he does it in real life and online. It's like he brings his own permanent bad weather system with him, and people write it off as, "Oh, that's just his schtick," or whatever, but he really sucks the positive energy out of whatever environment he's in. Everything sucks, he's not responsible for any of the things he's unhappy, dissatisfied, or frustrated about, everyone is less intelligent, less educated, and less deserving of everything than he is, yet the injustice of the universe gives them all the breaks, blahblahblah. I hid him on FB ages ago, and whenever I run into him somewhere I'm at pains to be on the other side of the room after the briefest of greetings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Desdemona wrote:
Mihl wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I'd also guess that some of those vituperative reactions are based at least partly in fear. In a culture where many women are conditioned to be terrified by the idea of gaining (or even not losing) weight, someone who not only doesn't abide by but actively flouts and pushes back against those "rules" can present a pretty threatening spectacle, because they call everything we're told is the "right" way to think about our bodies into question.

Yes to all of this. You said it much better than me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Desdemona wrote:
kfad wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Yeah, I used to work with a man like this, and I still know him in a superficial social way; in his case, he does it in real life and online. It's like he brings his own permanent bad weather system with him, and people write it off as, "Oh, that's just his schtick," or whatever, but he really sucks the positive energy out of whatever environment he's in. Everything sucks, he's not responsible for any of the things he's unhappy, dissatisfied, or frustrated about, everyone is less intelligent, less educated, and less deserving of everything than he is, yet the injustice of the universe gives them all the breaks, blahblahblah. I hid him on FB ages ago, and whenever I run into him somewhere I'm at pains to be on the other side of the room after the briefest of greetings.

This is pretty much my dad. In real life and on FB. My mom will argue with him, and I will tell her "don't feed the trolls," but she doesn't really get it. If he doesn't get a reaction from the stupid shiitake he says, he stops. Granted, I live far away and don't deal with him on a daily basis so it's relatively easy for me to ignore it. She has to deal with his troll-ness every single day.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

brian wrote:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453609,00.asp

Quote:
"[T]rolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores," they wrote. Which is to say, the respondents who identified themselves as trolls also indicated that they enjoy making others suffer, lack remorse and empathy, and have no problem with manipulating and lying to people to achieve their ends.

The "good news" is that only 5% of people who comment in forums enjoy trolling.

Those are hardcore trolls. In my opinion there are many more unpleasant and disruptive people who do not see themselves as trolls.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think trolls are pretty much everywhere. There is no escape. We are living in the troll apocalypse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:30 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Will smearing the entrails of a dead troll keep the walking ones away from you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

dropscone wrote:
bastah wrote:
dropscone wrote:

What I mean is he'd create two accounts, a "troll" one and a "rational vegan" to argue against the fictional other person.

This isn't far from what certain political or corporate entities do on the internet to shape the conversation about certain topics, so in a way, it's actually sort of professional.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:11 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I remember that the CEO of Whole Foods got busted for trolling ( trash talking a competing chain )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:16 am 

leonardo wrote:

This isn't far from what certain political or corporate entities do on the internet to shape the conversation about certain topics, so in a way, it's actually sort of professional.

I don't think duplicity should be considered an acceptable professional trait.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I don't know; I think they're kind of cute.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

dropscone wrote:
leonardo wrote:

I don't think duplicity should be considered an acceptable professional trait.

Without duplicity, where would professions in law, business, or politics be?