| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Understanding Privilege
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, our curriculum is mostly based on european/white history. There is the apartheid and native people being oppressed and also the colonization. But I have never been taught anything about african countries and their individual history or about asian history. It is definitely a very eurocentric history curriculum!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:32 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Circling back to the recent #CancelColbert incident, here's an essay my friend Alison wrote about an experience that left a bitter taste in her mouth at a Daily Show taping a few years back.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/09/jon_ste ... ist_jokes/

ETA: thus far, then comments are the usual shower of white brosplaining. "Get a sense of humor, Asian chick!"

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yeah, i remember we had to remember a lot of specific details. we weren't taught in generalities and how it could apply to current things going on. i specifically remember it was all kept very non-political. (don't want to upset the parents if your kids come home liberal)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:19 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we are having a spate of white brosplaining racist and sexist crepe on a group i admin. one of the phrases i hear the most often here is "i am not racist and i can't even be racist if i tried, my mother was XX and my father XX" (note, usually white european immigrants). I feel really weird being in the middle of this, especially as a white, privileged immigrant, but for pete's sake.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

Desdemona wrote:
Circling back to the recent #CancelColbert incident, here's an essay my friend Alison wrote about an experience that left a bitter taste in her mouth at a Daily Show taping a few years back.

ETA: thus far, then comments are the usual shower of white brosplaining. "Get a sense of humor, Asian chick!"

Yes, I made the mistake of reading the comments on the fb post. It's basically all "it was six years ago and this essay is appearing now so it must not have happened," "clearly the author is a humorless PC liberal and/or Fox news plant," and "stop tearing down the one bastion of respectable journalism left in this country!" (Really, Comedy Central is where people get their news?)

Changing the subject a bit, this is in Dutch but I know there are a lot of people who read it so I'll post:
http://www.elsevier.nl/Nederland/nieuws ... -1498950W/

Basically, this guy runs a cleaning company and proudly hires only Dutch people (meaning white ethnically Dutch people born in the Netherlands). "Aren't I allowed to express my opinion?" is basically his defense of discriminatory hiring. I don't see how he's operating legally, but how totally odious. The help wanted ad contains the text "We are a Dutch company that hires Dutch employees."

Being back in Europe is once again making me very conscious of racial privilege, which I think is harder to see in my native country (US). There's been some pretty awful stuff going on against the Romas here lately according to the base newspaper, and even the terms used int he articles themselves have bothered us. LTTEs are on my husband's to-do list...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

de Volkskrant ran a couple of pieces last week about hiring discrimination in the Netherlands. They were all studies which had been repeated about once a decade since the 1960's or show, all showing that white Dutch people (or Dutch people with Dutch-sounding names) enjoy a lot of privilege which others in the Netherlands don't enjoy. My Dutch is not great, but it sounded like the journalists were making the point "and this is an important thing we have to pay attention to, because it is wrong to discriminate".

eta: One study was the usual: send identical cv's with different names and see who gets a response. The other study had actors call with identical cv's and say they were Dutch, an EU-immigrant or a non-EU immigrant (so, the same actor had three roles ... I think). Both studies found lots of discrimination against non-Dutch, even though the written/spoken Dutch of the participants was identical.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:07 am 
Flounceiad 2011

annak wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

ETA: thus far, the comments are the usual shower of white brosplaining. "Get a sense of humor, Asian chick!"

Yes, I made the mistake of reading the comments on the fb post. It's basically all "it was six years ago and this essay is appearing now so it must not have happened," "clearly the author is a humorless PC liberal and/or Fox news plant," and "stop tearing down the one bastion of respectable journalism left in this country!" (Really, Comedy Central is where people get their news?)
Sadly, I fear that's all too often the case.

And UGH: the comments on the Salon FB page. What is up with the Butthurt Bro Brigade? It seems to me that it's white, middle class heterosexual men who are "hypersensitive"; every time their heroes are questioned they freak the hell out. And of course not one commenter has addressed the actual point of the piece, which is the inherent incongruity of the Daily Show and Colbert Report sanctioning some types of bigotry as "funny" while supposedly skewering other types. But that would entail thinking about ideas rather than trotting out the usual knee-jerk bromides about "political correctness," "liberals," and "humorless chicks." (Also: I am continually amazed and horrified that there are people who actually, seriously use the term "chick" in 2014. what the fizzle?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:40 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Now this is a humorless chick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

just look at that dismissive, superior glare. She's probably a vegan too. Probably thinks she's at the top of the pecking order because of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:14 am 
Nooch of Earl

Just ran across this article about women bloggers and racial privilege: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... hite-women

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:03 am 
Flounceiad 2011

annak wrote:
Just ran across this article about women bloggers and racial privilege: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... hite-women
Full disclosure: when the horrible, smarmy voiceover invited us to follow the "filmmaker" as he travelled to upscale suburbs "across the country, interviewing a range of bloggers," I totally expected him to say "interviewing a range of blondes."

But seriously - if this in't a parody (is it a parody? please tell me it is), it looks like the single most vapid, vacuous thing ever committed to film. Even if we could put aside side the fact that nearly every woman pictured is white and (at least) middle class, they all sound like complete idiots: "I mean, if we don't share all the details of shoe shopping, redecorating, and taking our 2.5 kids to dance class, what's the point of our having these super important and meaningful experiences?" Who on earth bankrolls this dreck? And who on earth would pay money to see it when they could just sit on their sofas and gaze at their own navels for free?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:36 am 
Flounceiad 2011

GAAAH. Damn you, annak, I'm now mildly obsessed with this thing! My partner watched the trailer and immediately tagged it as an elaborate piss-take, in which the film-maker would eventually be revealed as a master of satire. I wanted to believe this was true, and started doing some Googling to find out more. Imagine my horror/delight as it began to seem increasingly likely that it is not a joke.

Quote:
Under 'Meet the Bloggers' there was a list of mommybloggers mostly named Lauren and Ashley. And… they are real women, with real blogs that go back years.

http://www.neatorama.com/2014/04/09/American-Blogger/

So at this point I'm thinking this is either A. a super sophisticated wind-up, in which genuine mommy bloggers agreed to take the p*ss out of themselves (and if that's true, my hat is off to everyone involved), or B. the filmmaker and his wife taking the peas out of her friends (mean, but still pretty funny), or C. this guy and his wife actually think that anyone outside her Pilates class would consider this remotely interesting or significant (which would be the simultaneously worst and best possible scenario). What is fascinating is how slippery meaning and intention have become in our post-modern, ironic age, and how easily "earnestness" can be faked up (or [mis]interpreted as having been faked up). One way or the other, I'm interested to see how this turns out!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm amazed by how pompous the trailer is. I'm betting it's a joke.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am 
WRETCHED

So after watching the trailer, I figured it had to be fake. But then I found his wife's blog and her blogger friends and... yeah I don't think it is fake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Olives wrote:
I'm amazed by how pompous the trailer is. I'm betting it's a joke.
Amazingly, it seems like it's legit, and has been being talked about on GOMI and elsewhere for a year or so. Which is just...equal parts astonishing and awesome in its socio-culturally tone-deaf vacuity. If it's a piss-take, it a very elaborate one with a long history and deep roots.

http://getoffmyinternets.net/american-b ... new-level/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:54 am 

Please just let me believe it is an elaborate joke. Like they realized how silly their blogs were and wanted to do a parody. Otherwise, imma just be real discouraged like with people. Ok? Ok.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:02 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Olives wrote:
Please just let me believe it is an elaborate joke. Like they realized how silly their blogs were and wanted to do a parody. Otherwise, imma just be real discouraged like with people. Ok? Ok.
I am right there with you, bub!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:35 pm 
WRETCHED

You can hope but I see it one of two ways:
1) Self promotion. The blog post I found was someone interviewed for in the 'documentary' saying how proud they were to be part of it and excited and whatever. They also drummed up support for the wife of the guy who made the film. Then the comments were even worse... people commenting about it and saying how great they thought it was and how they couldn't wait. In this way, it potentially builds up business for the the bloggers, I guess including the wife.

2) Long running joke (that the interviewed bloggers aren't in on). Basically, you burn all your bridges. Anger a bunch of bloggers and kill your own blog (unless you reinvent it). I can try who to think the audience for this is and I really think it would be limited. The audience for scenario #1 seems like a much larger audience. People who care about blogs watching a documentary about blogging vs people who don't care about blogs watching a documentary about blogging and the silliness of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:57 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
You can hope but I see it one of two ways:
1) Self promotion. The blog post I found was someone interviewed for in the 'documentary' saying how proud they were to be part of it and excited and whatever. They also drummed up support for the wife of the guy who made the film. Then the comments were even worse... people commenting about it and saying how great they thought it was and how they couldn't wait. In this way, it potentially builds up business for the the bloggers, I guess including the wife.

2) Long running joke (that the interviewed bloggers aren't in on). Basically, you burn all your bridges. Anger a bunch of bloggers and kill your own blog (unless you reinvent it). I can try who to think the audience for this is and I really think it would be limited. The audience for scenario #1 seems like a much larger audience. People who care about blogs watching a documentary about blogging vs people who don't care about blogs watching a documentary about blogging and the silliness of it.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. It's just so astonishingly unaware of its own parodic qualities that it's difficult for a cynical fork like me to imagine it could be in earnest. Especially since it would be such a funny joke!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Okay, Dr Bro just sent his bibliography about urban planning WRT crime. I have no idea how relevant it is, but at least one is fun.... the monograph about crime in the Port Authority bus terminal-- Dr Bro says that his visit to my office in NY when I was in college and he was a teenager (in 1994 or 1995) was seminal in his decision to study criminal justice and environmental alteration to change crime. I hadn't thought too much about PA, I just walked real fast to get in and out, and tried to ignore the street preachers who didn't like my cigarette smoke. Apparently it was like a Hieronymous Bosch painting.

in any case.....

<<
THE INFLUENCE OF STREET NETWORKS ON THE PATTERNING OF PROPERTY OFFENSES, Beavon, Daniel JK.
Place and Crime : Integrating Sociology of Place and Environmental Criminology
Urban Affairs Review 2013 49: 141 originally published online 18 November 2012
Sangmoon Kim, Randy L. LaGrange and Cecil L. Willis
DOI: 10.1177/1078087412465401
The online version of this article can be found at:
http://uar.sagepub.com/content/49/1/141

Crime Prevention through Environmental Design
By Timothy D. Crowe and Diane L. Zahm NAHB Land Development Magazine, 1994

Creating Defensible Space by Oscar Newman
Institute for Community Design Analysis, Center for Urban Policy Research, US Dept HUD
April 1996

"All except Kim et al. (2013) are classics. You could use scholar to find the article/abstract and then see who has cited these.

Kim..... is the most current and relevant piece I could come up with.

I was searching my literature and came across an article one of my former professors wrote with his graduate class. I thought you would love reading this as the time period was close enough to the time you were going in and out of Port Authority for your summer job. I had no idea how bad that terminal was!

Felson, M., Belanger, M. E., Bichler, G. M., Bruzinski, C. D., Campbell, G. S., Fried, C. L., & Williams, L. M. (1996). Redesigning Hell: Preventing Crime and Disorder at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (From Preventing Mass Transit Crime, P 5-92, 1996, Ronald V. Clarke, ed.)
>>
[looks like this is not exactly what we were talking about, maybe. the HUD one is huge, and i would imagine there is info in there. he sent me the PDFs of these, so if you want me to forward them to you, PM me with your email address.]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I thought this article on grammar and privilege was very interesting.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/05/gra ... ign=buffer

My partner comes from a working class family and didn't go to college while I come from two English professors and have been to college. My English is 'better' than his and I correct him even though it makes him feel bad. It makes me hate myself that I'm using my class and educational privilege to hurt someone I love. I'm hoping this article can help me remember that I am the privileged one in this case.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:51 am 

blondiefk wrote:

Great article! Thanks for sharing :)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

blondiefk wrote:

My partner comes from a working class family and didn't go to college while I come from two English professors and have been to college. My English is 'better' than his and I correct him even though it makes him feel bad. It makes me hate myself that I'm using my class and educational privilege to hurt someone I love. I'm hoping this article can help me remember that I am the privileged one in this case.

That was a really interesting article. For me it brings up a conflict I often have between knowing the system of privilege we have is wrong, but being realistic about still having to survive within it. My husband is foreign born, and though he actually learned English first, and is highly educated, when we met there were a few things he said incorrectly. I would gently correct him not because I wanted to be superior, but because he has to move through this world and I did not want other people thinking less of him or making fun of him behind his back.

I feel the same when it comes to economic and educational privilege with my kids. On the one hand, the system is not fair. On the other, as long as we have to live within it, I want to give my kids all of the advantages I can. I mean, not providing my kids with the best possible education is not going to change the world for the better.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:01 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

you are BAD

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:33 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I can't access that article on my work computer, but I know that I'd like people to correct my English when I use it improperly. In general, I wish people would correct all sorts of things about me all the time. I still have no fashion sense, but at least now I know it. For most of my life I didn't even know what I was doing wrong.

I guess to me it's like letting someone know they have toilet paper on their shoe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next