| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Online Petitions - How do they work?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:55 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So, I see online petitions get tossed around here a decent amount, and obviously seen them plenty of times through FB. I'm always so hesitant to sign them, especially if they are of a legal or governmental issue. The laws around IRL petitions are pretty clear, X amount of signatures from registered voters = it needs to be addressed/reviewed/whathaveyou. When people come up to me on public transit like they do here in Portland, with a legal petition in their hands, I tell them I'm not a citizen of the US, and they say 'never mind then' and walk off. Makes sense. You're not a real person on the internet. It's very obvious many people are going to be entering in false information, or not be legal voters of wherever the petition is from. Sure they could do it by unique IP address, but what about multiple people to one IP? What about legal voters out of the country?

Anyhow. Here's something I found via google, confirming my suspicions. But I found the wording a bit challenging to get many relevant results, so it's just one person's take on it. Do any of you know anything into this? Have reasons to prove these are helpful?

http://www.mediabadger.com/2012/06/onli ... they-fail/

Post subject: Re: Online Petitions - How do they work?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:12 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I know little about the intricacies of the law, but I thought it was interesting that the UK has this: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/

I don't think that online petitions are helpful in the sense that they force legislature to change, but they certainly publicize an issue, so I feel like that's their main benefit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think most online petitions are a way to gather email addresses so that whatever organization initiated them can spam you with donation requests. The We the People petitions, though, at least prompt an official response from the White House if they get enough signatures. But it still didn't do any good when 34,000 people petitioned the White House for a Death Star.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Hahaha, wow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

hoveringdog wrote:
I think most online petitions are a way to gather email addresses so that whatever organization initiated them can spam you with donation requests.

Having worked for several nonprofits, yes, this, if a nonprofit organization hosts a petition that is why it exists. Though we could also phrase that as, say, they are a way to identify people who support the issue and connect with those people to encourage them to make a difference through donating (or volunteering).