It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Study links animal protein intake to cancer & diabetes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Published in Cell Metabolism yesterday.

From the abstract:

Quote:
Respondents aged 50–65 reporting high protein intake had a 75% increase in overall mortality and a 4-fold increase in cancer death risk during the following 18 years. These associations were either abolished or attenuated if the proteins were plant derived. Conversely, high protein intake was associated with reduced cancer and overall mortality in respondents over 65, but a 5-fold increase in diabetes mortality across all ages.

(bolding mine)

Also, they did this experiment on both humans and mice (boo), but at least the results will hopefully lead to less animal suffering.

Post subject: Re: Study links animal protein intake to cancer & diabetes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Is this the same one that was all over the news? People have been posting a link from the Guardian on FB. I thought this was just an observational study looking at data from other studies?

(not a scientist)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

On reddit.com/r/paleo there are people claiming that the study is scientifically flawed and that someone involved in running the study has a conflicting interest in owning a plant based protein supplement company or having money in one.

I don't how much of any of that is true.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:30 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Conflicts of interest are typically declared when the article is published. Here is the one from the above article, bolding my own.

Quote:
GHRKO (C57BL/6 background) mice were kindly provided by J.J. Kopchick (Ohio University). This work was funded by NIH/NIA grants (AG20642, AG025135, and AG034906) to V.D.L., NIH/NIA grants (P30AG017265 and T32AG0037) to E.M.C., and a USC Norris Cancer Center pilot grant to V.D.L. The funding sources had no involvement in study design; in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; and in the decision to submit the article for publication. V.D.L. has equity interest in L-Nutra, a company that develops medical food. The other authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.

It looks like L-Nutra develops (plant-based) fasting products for patients undergoing cancer treatment:
http://www.l-nutra.com/index.php/products

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Last edited by lobsteriffic on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:33 pm 

pickledtreats wrote:
Is this the same one that was all over the news? People have been posting a link from the Guardian on FB. I thought this was just an observational study looking at data from other studies?

The human part was cross-sectional and observational and was from a larger national study. They then confirmed the finding and causality with mice in an experiment in a laboratory setting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Something like this is what I was waiting for: http://www.sciencemediacentre.co.nz/201 ... s-respond/

That headline made me uncomfortable. It sounds like the consensus of the above responses is, 1) It's a fairly good study, but only one study. Further research is needed before making concrete recommendations. 2) That headline was terrible and inaccurate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Mollyjade, in the article you posted there are some points that seem relevant to me when thinking about such studies:

Quote:
The study shows a relationship with growth factor IGF-1 and cancer risk which is already known. However, the relationship between IGF-1 levels and protein intake is far more tenuous in humans. Cross-sectional data i.e. omnivores vs vegans suggest animal protein to be associated with increased IGF-1 levels but there is a lack of evidence from controlled feed studies to show that IGF-1 levels fall when animal protein intake is restricted.

Although the follow-up on the NHANES survey* shows that those with the highest reported protein intake were at greater risk of all-cause mortality, it fails to adjust for other confounding factors such as socioeconomic status, smoking, and obesity.

The sample size is also modest at 6381, compared with over 448,568 in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer which only found a weak association (14% increase in risk of mortality with red meat consumption, which was more consistent for processed meat (11% increase in risk)). The European data suggest a much smaller effect than the 74% increased risk claimed in this paper.

Also, the study does not control for the overall balance of the diet. People who eat large amounts of animal proteins often have other aspects of their diet which are imbalanced such as low intakes of fruit and vegetables.

So while such study results may seem like great news to Veg*ns like us, I am always suspicious of those studies in general.
I feel like they often show correlations rather than causalities and proclaiming new "truths" based on correlations just seems profoundly wrong. I mean, how many 'facts' about good/healthy and bad/unhealthy foods are flying around there? First, fat was bad for you, then carbs were.... salt will give you heart attacks and so will red meat. Ugh. I am a firm believer in the human metabolism being a very, very complex thing that we are just beginning to understand and so I think any simple truth about single food items or groups must be unprecise at best or horrendously wrong at worst.

So yeah, I hope researchers keep on working on our understanding of how the human body works.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

lobsteriffic wrote:
Conflicts of interest are typically declared when the article is published. Here is the one from the above article, bolding my own.

Quote:
GHRKO (C57BL/6 background) mice were kindly provided by J.J. Kopchick (Ohio University). This work was funded by NIH/NIA grants (AG20642, AG025135, and AG034906) to V.D.L., NIH/NIA grants (P30AG017265 and T32AG0037) to E.M.C., and a USC Norris Cancer Center pilot grant to V.D.L. The funding sources had no involvement in study design; in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; and in the decision to submit the article for publication. V.D.L. has equity interest in L-Nutra, a company that develops medical food. The other authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.

It looks like L-Nutra develops (plant-based) fasting products for patients undergoing cancer treatment:
http://www.l-nutra.com/index.php/products

Most people on the Internet do not have the training to understand and judge a study. I am one of them. So, I like others do not know how to evaluate the opinion of someone in a paleo forum saying that a study is "unscientific".

To be honest, if a study came out saying that soy was harmful and it was associated with someone from a whey protein supplement company, I think vegans on a message board would like say "Ah Ha!" that proves it is BS. I probably would do that too, not having more training.

However, given what I've been reading........and witnessing, about confirmation bias in the last few years I doubt it would make any difference to paleo fans or low carb fans if 90 something percent of scientists agreed that animal protein was harmful.

Look at all of the people denying man made global climate change despite near universal agreement among climate scientists.

Look at the anti-vaccers.

Most people choose what they want to believe or what *their* crowd believes.

All of which you know

Happy Friday

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:25 am 

mollyjade wrote:
That headline made me uncomfortable.

This is something that really irks me in mainstream science journalism. Academic articles always have super boring/long titles, but then journalists grab it and sensationalize it and I feel like the sensationalism somewhat discredits the original research. But I guess "Low Protein Intake Is Associated with a Major Reduction in IGF-1, Cancer, and Overall Mortality in the 65 and Younger but Not Older Population" doesn't sell or garner much interest so I understand why journalists do this, but they do it to an extent that isn't actually being true to the original research. I mean, the original authors are saying right there in the article title, "associated with", not "cause." Nowhere in the article do they say you can infer causality in humans from their study.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:35 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lobsteriffic wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
That headline made me uncomfortable.

This is something that really irks me in mainstream science journalism. Academic articles always have super boring/long titles, but then journalists grab it and sensationalize it and I feel like the sensationalism somewhat discredits the original research. But I guess "Low Protein Intake Is Associated with a Major Reduction in IGF-1, Cancer, and Overall Mortality in the 65 and Younger but Not Older Population" doesn't sell or garner much interest so I understand why journalists do this, but they do it to an extent that isn't actually being true to the original research. I mean, the original authors are saying right there in the article title, "associated with", not "cause." Nowhere in the article do they say you can infer causality in humans from their study.

The headline in this case came from the press release the university or university science department released. So journalists aren't really responsible for creating the smoking link. Even so, better media, npr for instance, were skeptical of the headline, rewrote it, and addressed the smoking claim with another source.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/0 ... study-says

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:42 pm 
Grandfathered In

Yes, it's one study. But it's not the only one. This study might be new, but it's not the first.