| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food not Bombs?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:46 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Has anyone out there has had any experience with Food not Bombs? I'm looking to get into some sort of volunteering again, and the mission of this group looks really cool. But anytime I try to find info on local chapters, I bring up a lot of dead links. I'm wondering if it's worth it to connect with a chapter that's further away, which would mean I could not devote as much time to it. Does anyone out there have any other groups they volunteer for that they want to plug? I'm open to suggestions!

Post subject: Re: Food not Bombs?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:17 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Try looking up "people's cafe" or "people's kitchen" - I've seen a lot of those around and about, think they're usually a similar concept. You might have more luck with the less specific/political-sounding name for current going concerns.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I was part of the food not bombs in sarasota, fl for some years, and I can tell you that they all operate differently. Ours there was great fun and I believe quite helpful to the people who came to eat. They all said so, and we let them take extra things we found, like loaves of bread, with them to eat later too. Over the time I participated, I could tell that many of the people who came to eat had some serious mental problems, but seemed to become more communicative and easy to interact with over time. I think it could be because the homeless are so excluded from normal society that their mental problems ran more rampant, because they didn't get enough regular social contact with others who were more stable possibly.

Anyways, the set up was that we shared food at a park downtown with a large homeless prescense to make it easy for everyone to get to. The day before, a group of us would go around in a truck and gather food from dumpsters- we had three main grocery stores we used. Then we would cook for 3 hours before with about 3-7 volunteers, bring the food to the park with 2-5 or so people, and serve. THen we'd take the dishes and pans back to home base after serving people, talking with them, or playing some soccer. Normally music was played, we brought a Pa sometimes.

All in all, from cooking to cleaning it took from 3-10, on friday. It was a great start to the weekend not only because the whole activity was fun and rewarding, but also because then friends are already gathered to go do stuff with afterwards.

I highly reccommend checking out a food not bombs in your area, though most of the websites on the fnb main page are not correct. Do a google search sepereately, don't go by the food not bombs site. Many of them just have facebook pages, so check there too. If you end up volunteering with one in a neighboring town or something, maybe after you see if you like it for a few months you may get inspired to gather friends and see if there is a need to start one in your own town? I'm sure there are hungry people and wasted food in every town.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yes to all fnb being different.

If you're not having luck online, but can find the address/time where they share food. Show up, eat and offer to wash dishes. Everyone loves the new person who wants to help with cleanup!

Also, I like to give folks who are new to fnb this heads up: (typically) it's not a non profit. It's just a bunch of folks doing something that is important to them/meaningful/aids with their survival, so depending on the chapter, you might not get a lot of outreach or volunteer feedback like you would at a standard non profit. Most likely (although again, each fnb is a special snow flake) it will be up to you to show up and say, "hey, I'm here, what do you need, I can do X, X and X."

The culture and decision making at each FNB will be different, so be prepared to pay attention to that.