| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: British prisoners not allowed to receive books
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:26 pm 
Mediocre Tart

rachell37 wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Incidentally, I took a flight from Glasgow to London at the weekend and the pilot was very pleased to welcome us all to the UK when we landed... Uh, did we leave at all in that wee hour and a bit? Like I say... confusing!

Maybe he was practicing for after the referendum.
One can only hope it was prophetic.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

Post subject: Re: British prisoners not allowed to receive books
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:10 am 
Tofu Pup

We must not forget all the problems of prison system this is just one of many, not saying you guys aren't but its just interesting to look at wider picture... Firstly so many people have mental health in prison but get sent to prison instead, which makes it even worst, proper help for mental health is in many areas of the UK non-existent. Secondly it doesn't seem to work people re offend - it often can feel like home, not cause its soft but it bring stability and with a criminal record job hunting is tough, there is also little access to alternative ways of living that don't involve a job. This brings on to third issue, social problems - lack of education, poor family life, poverty... the banning of books just makes this worst. If your likely to come from poverty buying books from amazon is not an option for many and second if a poor family life, there not going to be very supportive. We need to resolve the issues that result in prison, allow those access to learning, deal with social problems but that seems unlikely...

This also relates to the USA system and with the different histories and use of death penalty there is of cause additional and different issues, with so many Americans on this forum I am no expect!